• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HTPC's (or PC's) cannot decode Atmos surround sound

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
People are telling me I am wrong what I wrote in this first post, so I added this paragraph, did some text strike outs, and changed the title to say Atmos. I guess I was confused with Atmos vs regular surround. Sorry. The replies below are good though.

HTPC's (or PC's) cannot decode surround sound (like Dolby and DTS) to more than 2 channels. (I was wrong. they can do Dolby up to 8 channels, but not Atmos, and not DTS).
There is no apps or drivers you can add that will do it. They can decode to stereo (2 channel), but not to multichannel (more than 2).

JRiver cannot do it. Dirac and Roon cannot do it.
My guess is the same is true for Macs.

A Shield Pro can NOT decode it.
And Minidsp Flex HT, and SHD can NOT decode it.
My guess is Apple TV cannot decode it.

Some of the confusion comes from
  1. decode vs passthrough.
  2. multichannel that does not need decoding, like a musician creates 5 tracks of PCM - that does not need decoding.

These are interesting links for Atmos with PC:

Wow. That is super helpful that you explained it so clearly and completely. JRiver needs you to help them write the help instructions. I will do Scenario 2. I would never go over 5.3. I will begin with 2.2 and future possibility of 3.2. or 3.3. Thanks very much for the help.
So you understand that your graphic card can decode everything but atmos and that gets passed thru to an avr. The work around for an htpc that go thru a multi dac are a pain. I use windows and madvr in MPCBE to play my 4k disc. It's an incredible picture that allows you to use tone mapping. I was confused by you saying that your htpc cannot decode dts or true HD. I believe Nvidia cards have been able to decode those for at least the last 15 years. Honestly, I used to have to re mux my movies because I couldn't afford a better card that would play DTS in the old days.

stoo23

Perhaps pardon my ignorance, but are we discussing Playback of 'Atmos' material purely for Audio? or for Movies?
Also, do Normal (Non Movie/Pop Star, Filthy rich Oligarc) people even have Atmos capable play back systems at Home?

Atmos Audio is somewhat of a Professional Audio 'joke' within the recording and studio industry as far as I'm aware.

Littletycoon

Perhaps pardon my ignorance, but are we discussing Playback of 'Atmos' material purely for Audio? or for Movies?
Also, do Normal (Non Movie/Pop Star, Filthy rich Oligarc) people even have Atmos capable play back systems at Home?

Atmos Audio is somewhat of a Professional Audio 'joke' within the recording and studio industry as far as I'm aware.
Most people don't but it will expand. I already have a soundbar in the bedroom that is 5.1.2, the .2 being upfiring speakers, with the ability to add wireless speakers in the newest models. Let's not discuss sound quality, but many millions have such soundbars in the living room, with major players like Sonos, Bose, Samsung, lg, etc. expanding their offerings.

in my living room I have 5.1 speakers, but plan to go 16 channel.

So yes, Atmos will go beyond a 'joke' if not already gone beyond it driven by "gimmicky" soundbars.

stoo23

Gee, really ??
So yes, Atmos will go beyond a 'joke'
I think a good search on Youtube might give a somewhat different belief :)
Quite a number of Very serious, talented and respected Engineers/Producers don't have such faith.
One suggested he barely recognized his Own 'Grammy Award' winning mix in Atmos !!

Let alone the inherent Equipment costs and 'dedicated' space required AND Serious lack of appropriate Royalties and Budget to Produce Atmos versions,....
When I was working in HiFi, Everything was 'Gearing Up' for the New Reality,... 'Quad' :) ................ Yep,.. So glad that happened LOL
Changed my life and listening experience,.. :) Oh, hang on I DO own the Who's "Quadrophenia" :)

Littletycoon

Gee, really ??

Quite a number of Very serious, talented and respected Engineers/Producers don't have such faith.
One suggested he barely recognized his Own 'Grammy Award' winning mix in Atmos !!

Let alone the inherent Equipment costs and 'dedicated' space required AND Serious lack of appropriate Royalties and Budget to Produce Atmos versions,....
When I was working in HiFi, Everything was 'Gearing Up' for the New Reality,... 'Quad' :) ................ Yep,.. So glad that happened LOL
Changed my life and listening experience,.. :) Oh, hang on I DO own the Who's "Quadrophenia" :)
I think you selectively search for what you want to believe. Fact is that Atmos on streaming services is expanding both music and movies, mostly movies, music still less so, games as part of an immersive experience. Whether it'll become leading, future will tell.

But if you really want to classify it as a joke, your prerogative, I don't care.

chelgrian

Gee, really ??

So realistically the only way to get Atmos music on a speaker array is via Apple Music and an Apple TV. It's is possible via Amazon music with the latest Fire sticks but it seems to be fiddly to get working. Tidal's market share is so low that I've not looked in to it.

Apple's market share is about 15% and only a fraction of those will have an Apple TV. Amazon's market share is about 13% and again only a fraction will have the Fire Stick.

Of those that have the source only a fraction will have the necessary speaker array or silly sound bar to actually attempt to make use of it.

So yes I agree with you that Atmos for music on speakers is mostly DoA.

Atmos for music rendered in to binaural on headphones may be a different matter but currently it's hobbled by being rendered out of crippled delivery formats for speaker arrays rather than directly out of the original ADM files.

stoo23

But if you really want to classify it as a joke, your prerogative, I don't care.
It was NOT myself that suggested that, but a couple of Very serious World famous engineers, who may very well have recorded material you own.
Also, I stumbled on that 'Comment' simply watching some interviews with aforesaid Engineers.

I had not searched for Atmos !!!
If You want to listen to an Atmos version of a Mix that sounds Nothing like it's 'Original' Stereo mix, then as you suggested, that's Your perogative :)

The Big Problem, is the Budget, NOT the technology !!! Although, for music, I'd still seriously question it's Validity.

Apple want Artists to submit Atmos versions of their material, (a very expensive, limited and time consuming affair to produce compared to a Stereo mix) and then charge consumers for the wonderful ?? Atmos 'Immersive' Mix.
Does the Artist get Any of the extra Atmos fees from Apple ???,.. NoSirEee and let's be honest, even IF they did.
Unless you are an Artist that sells Gazillions, it probably still 'Pales into insignificance' compared to the Movie market.
For Most Artists the Budget to produce an Atmos version of their music, simply Isn't there and the Record companies etc Don't want to Pay for it,.. They Don't NEED or in most cases even Want an Atmos version because it Costs So much to make and Who / Where will they get the Financial Return from ???

Like I said, it's the Budget, much like it was Way back when, with Quad :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom