• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atmos finally decoded in PC/Mac

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Music Media Helper 6
or its Atmos Helper
1673972309798.png

himey

Are you able to go Blu-ray -> mkv -> individual mlp files and play in DRP?
Use the one long file option, a "loopback" app, and Audacity to record the decoded album to w64. Split with a cue file generated with MMH. Now you aren't tied to the DRP player, and you can use something like Foobar2000, or jRiver for playback.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
That is to create an Atmos file, not help in the steps to go about decoding an already created Atmos file.
Or to change its format/packaging.

sw5163

Currently I'm able to get 12 or 16 individual WAV files through DRP, but I would like to ask if there is a way to merge those 12 wav files into a single 7.1.4 multi-channel PCM or WAV, so that it can play on any other devices?

himey

Currently I'm able to get 12 or 16 individual WAV files through DRP, but I would like to ask if there is a way to merge those 12 wav files into a single 7.1.4 multi-channel PCM or WAV, so that it can play on any other devices?
What are you using to get the individual wavs? Are you using a Mac or PC. Audacity outputs a 12 channel (7.1.4) W64/WAV format, no problem.

sw5163

What are you using to get the individual wavs? Are you using a Mac or PC. Audacity outputs a 12 channel (7.1.4) W64/WAV format, no problem.
I'm using this python script [atmos_decode.py]https://gist.github.com/Plazik/e950267cc580bcde371ea7879aaa3d5d
It outputs 16 or 12 individual WAV files, and I'm trying to put them back to 7.1.4 PCM/WAV.
I tried Audacity to output as multichannel, but Audacity can't map them to specific channel, leading to incorrect playback on Apple device.
1674005800971.png

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Wouldn't you still have to decode first before changing its "format/packaging"? I was under the impression that tool was for content creators and not playback?
Depends on what you want. Decoding has to occur at some point.

himey

I'm using this python script [atmos_decode.py]https://gist.github.com/Plazik/e950267cc580bcde371ea7879aaa3d5d
It outputs 16 or 12 individual WAV files, and I'm trying to put them back to 7.1.4 PCM/WAV.
I tried Audacity to output as multichannel, but Audacity can't map them to specific channel, leading to incorrect playback on Apple device.
View attachment 257948
I don't see the issue with Audacity? Can't you import all the mono files, line them up with the correct assignment, and output it as a single wav/w64 file?

I have been using Audacity to convert 7.1.4/5.1.4 to 4.0.4 flac files without any issues. My setup is limited to 8 total channels and that is my compromise rather than investing in a receiver.

himey

Depends on what you want. Decoding has to occur at some point.
1674005800971.png
MMH just released a beta version tool that decodes Atmos! Remember it is still in beta, but it is definitely worth a go if the other methods are too time consuming (DRP) or complicated. It is located within the MMH ATMOS HELPER tool.

Last edited:

192kbps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lossless TrueHD Atmos Just Got Much Easier

Olombo

Hi

is there any other Windows-based player except JRiver which could handle a MKV with more than 8 channels? I know for Mac OS there are possibilities but only found now JRiver for Windows.

mkt

Hi

is there any other Windows-based player except JRiver which could handle a MKV with more than 8 channels? I know for Mac OS there are possibilities but only found now JRiver for Windows.
What are the mac possibilities?

Olombo

Puh this was somewhere in the comments on audiophylestyle. As far as I remember could have been quicktime but please look through comments:

Did not remember as Mac is no option for me :)

Now waiting for approval of dolby for DRP Download.... :-(

Olombo

Hi himey,

eeehm....yes. But am I missing something? MMH does still require the DRP and the script has nothing to do with that, too. But please telle me what I miss :)

Olombo

Now you made me unsure.....you can select a file and click start without DRP. However; no file is created. So think DRP is still required...

Top Bottom