• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ask me questions.

John probably has a lot of work to do.
The last commentary myself and John exchanged was related to ensuring he does not over work himself and get burned out. So yeah he is probably very busy. :D The last designing electronic engineer that I worked with was so busy with designing he was not taking lunch and was working extra hours. It's a big responsibility.

The last commentary myself and John exchanged was related to ensuring he does not over work himself and get burned out. So yeah he is probably very busy. :D The last designing electronic engineer that I worked with was so busy with designing he was not taking lunch and was working extra hours. It's a big responsibility.
I think what you are describing is a problem many (and any) professionals face: by over-committing but with all good intentions.
I've seen many older engineers (of all denominations) lurk the hallways of companies late into the evenings.
There is over-commitment to your work and then there is the same to the company... that's when the burn-out starts.
That is a fight (means/ends) that some never come to terms with... until too late.:(
...imo...ymmv...

I think what you are describing is a problem many (and any) professionals face: by over-committing but with all good intentions.
I've seen many older engineers (of all denominations) lurk the hallways of companies late into the evenings.
There is over-commitment to your work and then there is the same to the company... that's when the burn-out starts.
That is a fight (means/ends) that some never come to terms with... until too late.:(
...imo...ymmv...
Burnout, depression and social isolation all can add up to one nasty mental illness that takes several years or more to get over. Myself I went 11 years without a holiday, worked 72 to 74 hours a week for 2 of those years and at the end I was a wreck. It's not worth the illness that results. I strongly recommend taking breaks, lunch breaks and holidays.

Here is a question:

I look at the slew of Topping products and they measure great.

But if I want to have a DAC that supports a subwoofer output, where is the one that can divide stuff below and above 80Hz? The power amp we know.

Here is a question:

I look at the slew of Topping products and they measure great.

But if I want to have a DAC that supports a subwoofer output, where is the one that can divide stuff below and above 80Hz? The power amp we know.
A DAC can't do that, since its job is to convert 100% of the bits into 100% of the analogue. Splitting stuff up by frequency requires DSP or analogue filters at lime level.

Burnout, depression and social isolation all can add up to one nasty mental illness that takes several years or more to get over. Myself I went 11 years without a holiday, worked 72 to 74 hours a week for 2 of those years and at the end I was a wreck. It's not worth the illness that results. I strongly recommend taking breaks, lunch breaks and holidays.
Very recognizable and a sign of the times

This book is quite nice reflecting on the widespread nature of the phenomenon

Everything was going well and he was available, they started having reliability problems (and appalling customer relations) and he disappeared, more than once and reappeared on product launches only to go quiet. Now you may speculate about what he is up to and reasons why he starts a “Ask Me Anything“ thread and promptly disappears again but imo Topping are not worth the risk any more (excluding their flagship product) because it’s all just too hit and miss.
The excuses for his dereliction of this thread are exactly the same ones used by boutique brand fanbois to protect the image and standing of their latest “big thing” and it’s no more convincing than the excuses offered up here with no evidence of a mental health issue or being burnt out, you should all hear yourselfs…

Everything was going well and he was available, they started having reliability problems (and appalling customer relations) and he disappeared, more than once and reappeared on product launches only to go quiet. Now you may speculate about what he is up to and reasons why he starts a “Ask Me Anything“ thread and promptly disappears again but imo Topping are not worth the risk any more (excluding their flagship product) because it’s all just too hit and miss.
The excuses for his dereliction of this thread are exactly the same ones used by boutique brand fanbois to protect the image and standing of their latest “big thing” and it’s no more convincing than the excuses offered up here with no evidence of a mental health issue or being burnt out, you should all hear yourselfs…
What an elaborate "soap-opera" you're imagining! Is there mustache twirling? A damsel in distress? Are their virtual "ears
tied to a railroad track? If he doesn't responds to any of your nonsense will you challenge him to a duel? I hear the sound of your chartreuse, size 5, crocs stomping around your room, just before your hurl "yourselfs" onto your Speed Racer bed.

Frankly, am pleased to accept whatever time a vendor is willing to torture themselves here.;)

Notably, if they engage productively, can be most beneficial. May be @JohnYang1997 overcommitted or whatever. His thread title may lean in too much imo and perhaps could use some tweaking, but at least offers to help.

Thanks for the effort John! It is a lot more than many others offer and wish you continued success. :)

Last edited:
Anything related. I answer them as much as I can.
Hello, I love Spatial Audio and have 7.1.4 system for atmos music, tv and cinema, and I often use the dolby surround up mixer (DSU) for music. Do you think that it would be worthwhile to expand this to 9.1.6, adding front wide speakers and an additional pair of height speakers? Or is 7.1.4 sufficient and 9.1.6 overkill that will not make a meaningful perceptible difference.

Incidentally I only use the sub for the .1 (LFE) channel.

Any thoughts?

I’m kinda of stumped here and unfortunately Burson Audio is playing games. I have the soloist voyager headphone amp. When using XLR I’ve noticed an windy static noise in my right headphone. It comes and goes very inconsistent. When I use 6.35 connection, it’s perfectly silent. I’ve disconnected the amp from a source so all that’s plugged into the amp is the power cable and my headphones. What’s causing this? Thanks fellas!

Could be anything from a bad contact (hitting the device and it disappearing is a tell-tale sign) to any of the opamps, active components or even a passive component.
I would get it serviced by Burson.

I assume it is a random come and go of the issue.
I would record the phenomenon (if possible) or try to invoke it by warming the device up a bit (not too hot and gently over time) with a hairdryer from a small distance.
This sometimes makes the faulty components enter the unwanted state.

Could be anything from a bad contact (hitting the device and it disappearing is a tell-tale sign) to any of the opamps, active components or even a passive component.
I would get it serviced by Burson.

I assume it is a random come and go of the issue.
I would record the phenomenon (if possible) or try to invoke it by warming the device up a bit (not too hot and gently over time) with a hairdryer from a small distance.
This sometimes makes the faulty components enter the unwanted state.
I appreciate the response. I swapped the op amps and still have the issue on the right side. Banging on my unit when it happens didn’t do much lol! I’m trying to get it serviced by Burson but the last time I sent the unit to them, there “tech” didn’t hear anything which I think is impossible. They’re making it real difficult to get the amp serviced. It’s BS

I appreciate the response. I swapped the op amps and still have the issue on the right side. Banging on my unit when it happens didn’t do much lol! I’m trying to get it serviced by Burson but the last time I sent the unit to them, there “tech” didn’t hear anything which I think is impossible. They’re making it real difficult to get the amp serviced. It’s BS
Try to record the phenomenon and include it or mail it to them.
In my (many years) of servicing equipment (repair) I sometimes had gear in a duration test for weeks and not giving a single problem. When the customer got it back they came back within a few days. In most cases they were right after all or it was operator error.
Chances are during the time the tech looked at it the problem did not occur.

Try to record the phenomenon and include it or mail it to them.
In my (many years) of servicing equipment (repair) I sometimes had gear in a duration test for weeks and not giving a single problem. When the customer got it back they came back within a few days. In most cases they were right after all or it was operator error.
Chances are during the time the tech looked at it the problem did not occur.
Yea I hear you. Every time I turn it on the noise is there. It’s random in which the pattern it happens. I give him the benefit of the doubt but im skeptical. As for recording it, I can try with my mic but is there a more efficient way? I’m not familiar with how to record sounds from headphone

FYI as pointed out by others, Mr Yang hasn't been active on here for a bit so I wouldn't post expecting a response.

Also, can we please limit posts to things pertaining to Topping products or at least things John has previously commented on.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom