• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 46 14.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 266 82.1%

• Total voters

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It strongly resembles the look and performance of the Directiva without the passive woofer. Coincidence?

AscendDF

Audio Company
It looks like the designer hit the presumptive design goal - which to be a little glib I interpret as PIR über allies - right on the nose. I'm sure the "score over Toole" crowd is going to outdo itself bestowing new crowns. But query whether that's the "right" design goal. The issue is that the path getting there is to throw everything slightly out of whack such that the averages please the eye. IOW, there's tinkering with the listening window (generally with an upper mids/lower treble depression) to balance out the PIR and sound power at the crossover. That is required because a basic flat waveguide is used, instead of a waveguide contour better tailored to matching driver directivities at the crossover. (All "baffles" are "waveguides," full stop..) So the transition is inherently problematic.

@amirm's listening results do not surprise me - the direct sound is a little meh, and undoing the tinkering that makes the PIR textbook improves the subjective result. I suspect based on experience that, in A/B comparison with a speaker with similar midband dispersion and headroom that does not make the same tradeoffs - i.e. a more tailored waveguide geometry allows on-axis is flattish and smooth, with the horizontal directivity is well matched at the crossover - the latter would be preferred by most. That few such speakers exist, let alone at a similar price point with like quality components and build quality, is a fair retort.

Your assumption on the design goal for this speaker is wrong.

As discussed in detail on our forum with its release, the goal of this speaker was as even and as neutral a sound power response as we could achieve. As you know, sound power represents the total radiation of the speaker and, in my professional opinion, best represents a speaker’s overall neutrality.

It is all right here in our forum from many months ago. See my 2nd post:

Sierra-1V2

To accomplish this, it meant precisely matching the directivity of the woofer and tweeter at crossover. Doing so without a waveguide on the tweeter is an extremely difficult task, but it is possible as these measurements clearly indicate. It was also our goal to offer wider horizontal dispersion, something a waveguide limits.

This meant sampling dozens and dozens of tweeters and it just so happened that a new tweeter from SEAS offered better directivity than the highly regarded 27TBCD, more commonly known as the DXT, which incorporates a highly specialized deep waveguide. It was my understanding from my discussions with SEAS that this new tweeter will eventually replace the DXT. (note the similar model designations). The Titan tweeter has much wider dispersion, lower distortion, and a more linear frequency response. Feel free to contact SEAS directly to discuss this. Exactly how they accomplished this directivity with a “flat” waveguide is a combination of many factors, but indeed - they accomplished it and the proof is right there. I was quite shocked as well, and I also publicly mentioned this with the release of our LX.

Let’s compare the sound power response and ERDI of the S1V2 with the Revel M105, which takes full advantage of a waveguide. Which sound power response is the more linear in the crossover region? Which ERDI has less directivity error?

newplot (2).png

You mention tinkering to achieve the textbook PIR. How exactly? I for one would like to know how to do that. Amir posted the acoustic close mic response curves of both the woofer and tweeter, they look clean and without manipulation. The depression in the woofer starting at about 500Hz -1.7kHz is by design and is partly baffle step compensation as well as to compensate for a pesky peak in the woofer’s response that you can see in the original Sierra-1 with 3rd party measurements from the NRC:

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/measurements/speakers/ascend_sierra1/frequency_on1530.gif

The Sierra-1V2 woofer is different than the original, but uses the same cone and surround, thus that same peak needed to be dealt with for the new version of the Sierra-1.

We managed to achieve our design goals for the sound power response by first selecting a tweeter that had the directivity we needed. And from that, literally taking 100’s of NFS scans combined with some advanced modelling we developed to determine the precise crossover point and high pass and low pass filter slopes needed to achieve this. (it helps having family with PHD’s in physics) That stated, we have only been able to accomplish this using this specific dome tweeter, which is why we used it in our LX and now with the S1V2 as well as our new towers and horizon.

You can see in the measurements of our NFS optimized 340SE2 that we could not achieve such a linear sound power response which uses a different SEAS tweeter. Believe me, if I could figure out a way to tinker with frequency response to match directivity between a woofer and tweeter, I would have done so. The only control a crossover has over directivity is crossover point and the filter slopes. Tinkering with response amplitude does not affect directivity.

The textbook PIR was not and was never the goal, it is the direct result of an incredible amount of R&D to get a textbook sound power response, which translates to ideal overall neutrality. For me personally, this dates all the way back to working with an ex-Harman engineer from about 30 years ago, something I also shared publicly. I wish I could remember his name though… If you are reading this and you remember me (I think you would, you introduced me to X-OPT crossover software at M&K) – pls send me an email to say hello.

Anyway, it is late, and I am rambling, but I do hope this makes some sense.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Disappointing, hopefully not another company going similar route after the Chinese pushing the DACs to godknowswhat SINAD levels with NFB and other tricks to get to the top of the chart but forgetting about the most important - sound, something which is purely subjective and it's what it's about in this hobby - It has to pleasure the ears (and eyes!) and not a cold piece of electronics to plot a nice looking chart.

I really can't figure out if this is
1) elaborate trolling
2) satire
3) genuine audiophile flavoured confusion and ignorance
I can:
1 and 3

:)

Peace

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Really hard to complain but here it goes. Wish they removed woofer resonance with crossover firstly by high pass filter @ 38 Hz and attending what remains of it around 5.5 KHz and I know it would increase bill of material but I think they had a headroom for the price. They actually did quite good jub and tweeter slope complement and fill woofer good under crossover point and all in all it's remarkable capable for it's size and on level of one size bigger one's with 6.5~7" woofer. Ideal crossover for sub's is still 110 Hz (as usual for one size bigger one's).
@amirm correct "I started with Band 2, filling that small bass dip" as you mean high mids.
After seeing a Tooles active design from decade ago and with room correction not really impressed but woted great anyway and in some aspects it is.

AscendDF

Audio Company

@AscendDF do you have a wider bandwidth plot that can show 'oil can resonance' of the metal tweeter?

Where does it occur?

Before the ASR fans jump and scream about audibility - duh.

JA at Stereophile has been showing this for years in his measurements and it always made me curious.

Some designers push it higher above 20kHz than others, with choice of driver and/or damping etc

Our version of this tweeter (slightly different than the off the shelf version) has the breakup mode at 27kHz, which is exceptionally high for a "metal dome" tweeter. You can see this in the fundamental in Amir's distortion measurements. SEAS accomplished this by using AlMg alloy for the dome (a combination of aluminum and magnesium) I have only seen higher break-up modes in a "metal" dome with pure Be domes. In my many decades in this industry, this was the first metal dome tweeter that was not pure Be (Beryllium) that did not cause me any fatigue. It is detailed yet smooth and non-fatiguing. This characteristic was very important to me.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
US $3250 each SCORE: 6.2
US $998 for a pair SCORE: 6.0

Let me kindly remind of what Toole says about the scores:

I just dipped into this thread and have a request: please, please stop putting any reliance on the calculated "scores". Learn to interpret the spinorama curves. That will have to do until we have an "educated" AI version of sound quality prediction. The ratings that were calculated by the Harman research group were done to prove a scientific point, and that done, they ceased to be used even by the people who created them. We rely on visual interpretations of the family of curves.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Our version of this tweeter (slightly different than the off the shelf version) has the breakup mode at 27kHz, which is exceptionally high for a "metal dome" tweeter. You can see this in the fundamental in Amir's distortion measurements. SEAS accomplished this by using AlMg alloy for the dome (a combination of aluminum and magnesium) I have only seen higher break-up modes in a "metal" dome with pure Be domes. In my many decades in this industry, this was the first metal dome tweeter that was not pure Be (Beryllium) that did not cause me any fatigue. It is detailed yet smooth and non-fatiguing. This characteristic was very important to me.
Thanks, nice to see that you subjectively prefer having the resonance further up.

If it was at 21kHz people here would be saying it is inaudible.

You can see KEF R3 Meta has it over 30kHz

1023kef.l1.jpg

AscendDF

Audio Company
The frequency response response is stunningly good, but the distortion in the bass region is stunningly poor. How does that warrant a recommendation? Did people stop reading after the frequency response? Did I misread the results?

The overall THD measurements are quite good for a speaker with a woofer of this size and having deep bass extension. Remember, that 96dB SPL at 1 meter is anechoic. In a room and with 2 speakers, that volume level will be in the 100+ dB range (depending on listening distance) and is far louder than most people would ever listen at.

Compare S1V2 THD with Revel M105 distortion:

distort.png

you can see they are very similar.

Still, if you are looking for extremely low woofer distortion in the bass ranges, that is exactly what our LX gets you (combined with deeper bass, higher power handling and as many have mentioned, a lot of "slam") I am making it a priority to post some comparisons backed with measurements between these 2 speakers on our forum this weekend. It has simply become too much work for us to keep answering emails with the same questions, so I will cover this in detail in our forum as soon as I am able.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As discussed in detail on our forum with its release, the goal of this speaker was as even and as neutral a sound power response as we could achieve. As you know, sound power represents the total radiation of the speaker and, in my professional opinion, best represents a speaker’s overall neutrality.
I would say there is no single truth there, the more the direct sound dominates at the listening position (due to smaller listening distance and/or higher absorption or larger rooms) the more it is important to get that (or the listening window) flat, the further we get out of it the more smooth sound power becomes important, that's why I asked Amir at what listening distance he did his audition but unfortunately he didn't reply yet.

I agree though that for usual home listening setups the listening distance is often quite high and there putting importance to the sound power is important, this was also the reason I also didn't like the treble of the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 in my room.

Ideally of course someone wants loudspeakers that combine both a flat direct sound and smooth directivity/sound power, to quote Toole:

Almost 50 years of double-blind listening tests have shown persuasively that listeners like loudspeakers with flat, smooth, anechoic on-axis and listening-window frequency responses. Those with smoothly changing or relatively constant directivity do best.

totti1965

"NFS Optimized"

Disappointing, hopefully not another company going similar route after the Chinese pushing the DACs to godknowswhat SINAD levels with NFB and other tricks to get to the top of the chart but forgetting about the most important - sound, something which is purely subjective and it's what it's about in this hobby - It has to pleasure the ears (and eyes!) and not a cold piece of electronics to plot a nice looking chart.
Hey Martin, can you please tell me what NFB means? FB = Feedback? But the „N“?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats to Dave the designer of the speaker, well done!

@amirm , you say that even deep bass was reproduced exceptionally well, which initially I was surprised about due to the anechoic response showing it rolling off early, but I suppose room reinforcement means that you'd get maybe around flat down to around 40Hz or just above, is that your thinking on it? That's still not particularly low bass, I'd think more like 30Hz in room is deep bass. It's a small speaker so we can't expect deep bass from it anyway.

totti1965

I love how they look like ordinary 2 way speakers but measure with smooth(ish) horizontal directivity in the crossover region like something with waveguides. Wide dispersion though. Fortunately I prefer wide dispersion. Anyone know how the ribbon version measures? Their towers are probably sweet as well.
They measures pretty much the same.

The best Ascend Audio preference rating so far -according to Spinorama.org- is the ELX ribbon tower and the Sierra LX. Best passive Speaker after parametric equalization compared with all 1100 speakers wich are measured is the ELX ribbon tower! Closely followed by the Epos ES 14 N of Karl-Heinz Fink, who uses also the Klippel NFS. But look at the active speakers also!

AscendDF

Audio Company
Really hard to complain but here it goes. Wish they removed woofer resonance with crossover firstly by high pass filter @ 38 Hz and attending what remains of it around 5.5 KHz and I know it would increase bill of material but I think they had a headroom for the price. They actually did quite good jub and tweeter slope complement and fill woofer good under crossover point and all in all it's remarkable capable for it's size and on level of one size bigger one's with 6.5~7" woofer. Ideal crossover for sub's is still 110 Hz (as usual for one size bigger one's).
@amirm correct "I started with Band 2, filling that small bass dip" as you mean high mids.
After seeing a Tooles active design from decade ago and with room correction not really impressed but woted great anyway and in some aspects it is.

I can understand this logic, but using a passive high pass filter in a crossover to remove deep bass is a design no-no. Not only would this create far more problems than it would solve, it would require a MASSIVE capacitor in series with the woofer. We are talking about a 100V MPP capacitor with a value of over 500 uF. I don't think I have ever seen an audio grade metal film capacitor of this high of a value. A 100 uF MPP audio grade cap is nearly the size of a soda can, imagine 5 of those? This alone would cost us about $200 and use up the majority of the internal cabinet volume while also creating a host of other problems.

But I am curious, what woofer resonance do you mention at 38Hz? Are you referring to the near field woofer response in Amir's measurement? That "bump" which peaks at 38Hz is not a resonance, and is not actually a bump. It looks like a bump because of the dip you see at ~50Hz. The dip in the woofer response is the result of the port tune (~50Hz). This is the point where the port is most active fully limiting the response from the woofer, it is by design, it is how all ported speakers function. Below the port tune, the woofer becomes unloaded, and yes - ideally, it would be best to limit woofer excursion below port tune. But this can not be done passively (as I mentioned above). It should and can only be done actively using bass management.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not only that. Dave measure every single speaker after assembling and you get them inside your speaker shipping box.
Wow, that's good! Serious dedication!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
One notable benefit that Ascend offers is they sell upgrade kits for owners who've had previous Ascend speakers but wish to upgrade to the newer NFS optimized versions. I had the original Sierra 2 and have since upgraded them to the Sierra 2 EX v2, essentially keeping the cabinet and RAAL tweeter and replacing the woofer and crossover. I could've gotten different kits and change my speaker to the Sierra LX or the Sierra 1 v2 if I wanted to as well. You are also able to buy kits for their tower speakers, upgrading them to any newer variation you wish.
That is excellent. I just wonder if it was a better deal overall than selling your V1 and buying new V2.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It strongly resembles the look and performance of the Directiva without the passive woofer. Coincidence?

If you consider they are both 2-way speakers designed using a Klippel, not a huge surprise. If Directiva r1 had the resources of Ascend, might have even used the same Seas tweeter. ;) Ascend gets good performance from its smaller woofer, but without the speaker being much more expensive, is not in the same league as the Purifi 6.5 woofer. Would be more interesting to compare to the Sierra LX.

As @AscendDF alludes, it is a testimony to engineering prowess to accomplish good directivity without the use of a waveguide (and/or fancy cabinet faceting). In any case, some very impressive speakers.:)

beagleman

Major Contributor
The overall THD measurements are quite good for a speaker with a woofer of this size and having deep bass extension. Remember, that 96dB SPL at 1 meter is anechoic. In a room and with 2 speakers, that volume level will be in the 100+ dB range (depending on listening distance) and is far louder than most people would ever listen at.

Compare S1V2 THD with Revel M105 distortion:

View attachment 359875

you can see they are very similar.

Still, if you are looking for extremely low woofer distortion in the bass ranges, that is exactly what our LX gets you (combined with deeper bass, higher power handling and as many have mentioned, a lot of "slam") I am making it a priority to post some comparisons backed with measurements between these 2 speakers on our forum this weekend. It has simply become too much work for us to keep answering emails with the same questions, so I will cover this in detail in our forum as soon as I am able.

Also, at least in my opinion, I find distortion levels in the mid/deep bass regions, to be far less audible than an equal distortion number in the midrange area.
It simply is not nearly as "Audible", although it makes most smaller bookshelf speakers appear bad measurement wise.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
US $3250 each SCORE: 6.2
US $998 for a pair SCORE: 6.0
Let me kindly remind of what Toole says about the scores:
But is also testimony of how good this speaker is for the money, albeit there are things that the $3250 one can do that the Ascend can't do.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"NFS Optimized"

giphy.gif

Top Bottom