• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 46 14.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 266 82.1%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Just wanted to say I love the attitude by @AscendDF. Getting told your product isn't as great as you thought it was and then buying (very) expensive tools to help you do better in the future is not something that a lot of companies do. Being from Europe I will probably never buy a pair of Ascend speakers, but if I was in the US they'd be top of my list.

totti1965

Canton uses such a "infasonic" filters in their better series called DC technology:

It seems the do it by combining several capacitors, see exemplary:
canton_r_frequenzweiche-2.jpg

Source of above photo: https://www.hifi-regler.de/marken_highlights/canton/die_neue_canton_reference_2023.php

I agree that such isn't cheap though.
… und klingen nicht……

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Fleuch

One feature missing from these speakers, and many others regardless of cost, is the provision for bi-amping/bi-wiring the speakers. As with op-amp rolling this may be a niche requirement. Obviously the omission of two terminals, two straps and a modicum of internal wiring add up to a small cost saving, but having the option, as with the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 design, is today a real bonus and selling point for those who "hear the difference".

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are not fully understanding what you are seeing. Please see my response to this way back on 2nd page.

It would be best if Amir explained this in his measurements to avoid confusion... @amirm

Yes, I concur if Amir did his non-anechoic measurements at 1/3 meter, the 3 kHz dip is a measurement artifact and should be noted as such.

Last edited:

mj30250

One feature missing from these speakers, and many others regardless of cost, is the provision for bi-amping/bi-wiring the speakers. As with op-amp rolling this may be a niche requirement. Obviously the omission of two terminals, two straps and a modicum of internal wiring add up to a small cost saving, but having the option, as with the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 design, is today a real bonus and selling point for those who "hear the difference".
I'd just as soon pocket the small cost savings.

How many people who even attempt bi-amping actually do it correctly and to the extent that it would make an audible difference? If the number is greater than 10%, I'd be shocked.

And bi-wiring? You may as well lament the lack of inclusion of cable risers.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I find, eliminating a 2nd set of binding posts, and 2 straps and additional internal wiring and a few more soldering joints to create a slightly better signal path.

Are you not able to hear "that difference"? ;)

Or does it only work one way?

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I applaud Dave at Ascend for literally putting his money where his mouth is. These measurements are terrific for a speaker at this price point and set a very high bar for others.

Based on Erin’s review, I actually ordered a pair for our TV room, which is a small, mixed use space (TV and music listening). Dialogue on TV and movies is very clear, and I’m quite happy with how music sounds, even though placement options are very limited. The bass is more than enough for the space. I’m running them with a Matrix Audio mini-i4 Pro and Neurochrome Modulus-286 amp (65W/8, 125W/4). I am wondering if a more powerful amp would be helpful, as I find they do come alive a bit more after the wick is turned up - undoubtedly due to the low sensitivity.

Redman43

No, that's not at all the takeaway message. What we have from this review is the preferences of one person, in one room, with one set of songs. That's it. Not everybody is going to agree on the same EQ. Not every room is going to benefit from the same EQ. Not every recording is going to benefit from the same EQ.

Not to mention that the EQing he did was quite subtle, meaning the "beautiful" measurements got him (Amir) really close to just what he likes.
Are you trolling, or did you just misunderstood my post ? I wrote that measurements are only a part of the equation and then you reply in slightly different words that "different people have different tastes and that rooms and personal preferences play a big role". I am guessing English is not your first language ? If it was, you would know that you literary confirmed what I wrote to begin with. Have a great Easter holiday :)

DearSX

Man so many great options with verified evidence of good performance now available at many price points. Nothing works as well as an in room listen, but this helps get a great idea of what to expect. Thanks Amirm!

beagleman

Major Contributor
Are you trolling, or did you just misunderstood my post ? I wrote that measurements are only a part of the equation and then you reply in slightly different words that "different people have different tastes and that rooms and personal preferences play a big role". I am guessing English is not your first language ? If it was, you would know that you literary confirmed what I wrote to begin with. Have a great Easter holiday :)
He may have been responding to this part of what you wrote............

"Hopefully this will sober up some people here that seem to pray to the "measurement god" although I, for one, am not holding my breath on that one"

I know, to me, I thought that part was a "bit" extreme, on a site that is measurement based, although I am sure you meant it in good nature.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm still trying to understand the cold electronics comment. What is the difference between cold or warm? Maybe it has something to do with the electron flow. Those electrons can get hot running through those wires at such a high speed. Plus, they might need a rest now and then. Sarcasm off.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's true... but that feature adds cost, and makes the product less appealing for the masses that don't hear the difference because there is none.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Canton uses such a "infasonic" filters in their better series called DC technology:

It seems the do it by combining several capacitors, see exemplary:
canton_r_frequenzweiche-2.jpg

Source of above photo: https://www.hifi-regler.de/marken_highlights/canton/die_neue_canton_reference_2023.php

I agree that such isn't cheap though.
I have good experience with this with Canton 31DC, very nice bass for a small speaker

Top Bottom