• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let me share a few basic measurements of the Arylic A50+ streaming amplifier. The amp is based on the TPA3116 chip and I bought mine together with the ACPWorkbench Tuning Tool app for $152.32 total (shipped to EU) during the holiday sale. A few pictures of the amp:
Front.jpg

Back.jpg

The included laptop-style PSU looks quite bulky compared to the tiny amp:
With PSU and remote.jpg

The included remote is very easy to use and the functions are clearly labelled. Many of the same functions (and additional functions) can also be accessed with the 4STREAM mobile app.

One thing I disliked from UX perspective is the fact that the amp itself doesn't have a display. That would be very useful in a device as feature rich as this one; and especially it would be useful to be able to see the volume setting at all times. Interestingly, the similar Arylic S50 Pro+ streaming preamp has a display (but no loudspeaker amp section).

The tools used for measurements:
  • RME Babyface Silver Edition as signal generator (USB input, Optical SPDIF output), 44,1kHz sample rate and 24bit depth
  • E1DA Cosmos ADC (2,5mm TRRS Aux input), 44,1kHz sample rate and 32bit depth
  • Asio4All drivers (44,1kHz sample rate)
  • REW software for measurements
  • Google Sheets for impedance calculations
  • DIY resistive dummy load
  • Revel M16 loudspeaker for listening
Most of the measurements were done with the volume set to maximum and with the amp's optical input. Sample rate was set to 44,1kHz in most tests as this is what the amp uses internally. Exceptions are noted.

Let's dive in! :D

1kHz SINAD
Arylic A50+ - Optical input, 1kHz 5W into 4 Ohm.png

As we can see, unfortunately the performance is quite bad, especially in the right channel. SINAD is dominated by distortion (mainly 3rd harmonic), but noise is also quite high. More on noise later.

I tried measuring a few other inputs, but none of them gave better results - here's left channel performance when driven from RCA, USB and optical inputs:
Arylic A50+ - Left channel multiple inputs, 1kHz 5W into 4 Ohm.png

Multitone response
Here's the multitone response (5W into 4Ohm, one channel driven):
Arylic A50+ - Multitone response.png

This is not a good result - ideally we'd want better than -98dB / 16bits of resolution.

Frequency response and load (in)dependence
Arylic A50+ - Frequency response into multiple resistive loads.png

We can see that the amplifier is load-sensitive (indicative of high output impedance), and we also see that the channel matching is not ideal (and also load sensitive). The device digitizes even the analogue input and processes internally at 44,1kHz, so FR drops like a brick just before 20kHz. It seems it might the possible to change the sampling rate in the ACPWorkbench app, but even so it caps-out at 48kHz. Otherwise the FR is reasonably flat with these resistive loads. Using a complex load like a loudspeaker would introduce variations in the FR (see an explanation here).

Based on the measured voltage with 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm resistive loads I calculated and plotted the output impedance:
Arylic A50+ - Output impedance per channel.png

As we can see, left channel output impedance at 1kHz measures 0,68 Ohm and right channel 1,1 Ohm. This corresponds to left channel 8Ohm damping factor of ~12 and right channel ~7. Unfortunately that is quite a bad result.

Power into 4Ohms (20kHz BW, one channel driven)
Arylic A50+ - THD+N vs level, 4Ohm.png

Power into 8Ohms (20kHz BW, one channel driven)

Arylic A50+ - THD+N vs level, 8Ohm.png

Good news is that both corresponds to the manufacturer-specified power ratings.

DSP / PEQ capabilities
While the amplifier allows the user to set basic tone EQ (bass / treble) from the remote, the optional add-on ACPWorkbench Tuning Tool Windows app (price: 20$) allows the user to individually set up to 8 bands of PEQ for the left, right, sub channels, and an additional one for the overall stereo output - as well as to add various other processing (sub delay, source pre-gain, etc..).

Here's a snip of PEQ settings from the tool and the resulting FR measurements:
PEQ settings.jpg

I thought it was very cool that the sub output has a dedicated DSP channel - that gives quite a bit of additional flexibility for subwoofer integration!
Arylic A50+ - PEQ test (Left, Right and Sub output).png

BTW, when you disable all DSP for the sub output (marked as 'mono channel' in the ACP app), there is still a 240Hz -12dB/oct LPF applied (and a strange, slow LF droop that reaches -7,6dB by 20Hz):
Arylic A50+ - Sub output frequency response (without any PEQ processing).png

How does it work in practice?
I found the A50+ was very nice to use. The remote was very intuitive and the 4STREAM app worked well in the short time I tested it. It also works well with the WiiM mobile app. The feature set is IMHO really amazing, and especially for the low asking price.

However, when I connected the amp to my Revel M16 speakers, at 2,3m listening distance I could right away notice slight hissing/humming. When I came closer to the loudspeaker the noise was quite apparent, and its spectrum/character was changing depending on the status of the amp.
E.g. immediately after playback it is typical white noise spectrum hiss (I will call this the "Ready" status). After a few seconds it modulates to a hum (I will call this "Standby 1" status) and if you wait a bit longer the hum becomes much less audible (I will call this "Standby 2" status).

I noticed this behaviour while doing measurements as well - here's an example of how this looks like:
Arylic A50+ - Left channel noise in different amp statuses.png

Apart from this, I'd rather not comment on the sound, because I didn't use any controls in my listening. It played IMHO loud enough in an apartment building context at 2,3m listening distance with 86dB (2.83V @ 1M) sensitivity bookshelf loudspeakers.

Conclusion
Really hard to rate this device - on one hand the feature set is quite unique for the very low price. On the other hand, measured performance is poor in most tests.
If the amp had a basic display and measured performance similar to at least Infineon/Merus-based amps it would be a winner. As is I can only recommend it for use-cases where audio performance is of secondary importance.

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir already tested this amp.

OP
dominikz

dominikz

Forum Donor
Amir already tested this amp.

I believe this was the old A50 (non "+" version), based on the ST Micro STA326 IC amplifier; whereas the A50+ is based on the TPA3116 chip and has slightly different input selection.

Old model tested by @amirm (A50):
3_277c972d-ea7e-43d5-a9dd-36b0337cdd75_720x.jpg

New model which I tested here (A50+):
3_2f42818c-d5c5-41af-bd1f-32cc24005423_1800x1800.jpg

Kachda

Forum Donor
@amirm Please consider promoting to home page. This is a review of the updated Arylic amp, still a mess.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Didn't realise these had such peq ability. Thanks for the review. Though the new wiim box streamer is the one I'm watching. It doesn't possess such advanced eq.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Very good - I would love to get a similar setup to test some amps that come my way. I did get a very similar spec'd Fosi Audio T10 over the Christmas period - here is my 'opinions thread' https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fosi-audio-t10-initial-opinions.40445/ - Note: The Fosi Audio is normally even cheaper I believe at probably $100 or so when on sale

From the specs and from your results (and my subjective listening) - I would say they share a huge amount of the same internals. E.g. LinkPlay daughter board (I took apart the T10 to check the internals and posted some photos) and the TPA3116 amp chip and audible I did get the same 'results' as you did from the T10 with my speakers including the switching from 'ready' to standby and the general low level but obvious hiss etc

I must see how I could get a 'resistive dummy load' as I can easily get other equipment, tone/signal generator, Cosmos ADC etc

OP
dominikz

dominikz

Forum Donor
Very good - I would love to get a similar setup to test some amps that come my way. I did get a very similar spec'd Fosi Audio T10 over the Christmas period - here is my 'opinions thread' https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/fosi-audio-t10-initial-opinions.40445/ - Note: The Fosi Audio is normally even cheaper I believe at probably $100 or so when on sale
Cool! I find that the biggest appeal of the Arylic A50+ is in the very powerful built-in DSP / PEQ, and the convenience of having a small all-in-one unit. Really a shame the amp section isn't a bit better!
I must see how I could get a 'resistive dummy load' as I can easily get other equipment, tone/signal generator, Cosmos ADC etc
I cobbled mine together from an old PC fan, some CPU thermal grease, a pair of 8,2Ohm 50W resistors I bought online, some screws and some speaker wire :D
Dummy-load.JPG

If I connect the two resistors in parallel I get a single 4,1Ohm 100W load. I power the fan with a 9V guitar pedal PSU. Works well enough for me :D

bevok

Thanks for the review! I used the old model until recently for a casual system (terrrible old Sharp speakers!) - although the performance is ordinary it’s ok for background listening. What makes these interesting is the price vs functionality- the streaming functionality is really nice to use, they have Airplay and this was the first product I saw to have the preset buttons to load a particular playlist or radio station which are very useful. The major annoyance was the erratic volume graduation - has this been sorted?
I plan to give mine to my daughter for listening when she goes to university!

OP
dominikz

dominikz

Forum Donor
The major annoyance was the erratic volume graduation - has this been sorted?
In the very short time I tested the amp I must admit I haven't noticed any issues with the volume control. I've since returned it, mainly due to audible noise (which I also reported in the first post).

DTTOM37

Let me share a few basic measurements of the Arylic A50+ streaming amplifier. The amp is based on the TPA3116 chip and I bought mine together with the ACPWorkbench Tuning Tool app for $152.32 total (shipped to EU) during the holiday sale. A few pictures of the amp:
View attachment 255149
View attachment 255151

The included laptop-style PSU looks quite bulky compared to the tiny amp:
View attachment 255152
The included remote is very easy to use and the functions are clearly labelled. Many of the same functions (and additional functions) can also be accessed with the 4STREAM mobile app.

One thing I disliked from UX perspective is the fact that the amp itself doesn't have a display. That would be very useful in a device as feature rich as this one; and especially it would be useful to be able to see the volume setting at all times. Interestingly, the similar Arylic S50 Pro+ streaming preamp has a display (but no loudspeaker amp section).

The tools used for measurements:
  • RME Babyface Silver Edition as signal generator (USB input, Optical SPDIF output), 44,1kHz sample rate and 24bit depth
  • E1DA Cosmos ADC (2,5mm TRRS Aux input), 44,1kHz sample rate and 32bit depth
  • Asio4All drivers (44,1kHz sample rate)
  • REW software for measurements
  • Google Sheets for impedance calculations
  • DIY resistive dummy load
  • Revel M16 loudspeaker for listening
Most of the measurements were done with the volume set to maximum and with the amp's optical input. Sample rate was set to 44,1kHz in most tests as this is what the amp uses internally. Exceptions are noted.

Let's dive in! :D

1kHz SINAD
View attachment 255126
As we can see, unfortunately the performance is quite bad, especially in the right channel. SINAD is dominated by distortion (mainly 3rd harmonic), but noise is also quite high. More on noise later.

I tried measuring a few other inputs, but none of them gave better results - here's left channel performance when driven from RCA, USB and optical inputs:
View attachment 255130

Multitone response
Here's the multitone response (5W into 4Ohm, one channel driven):
View attachment 255105
This is not a good result - ideally we'd want better than -98dB / 16bits of resolution.

Frequency response and load (in)dependence
View attachment 255107
We can see that the amplifier is load-sensitive (indicative of high output impedance), and we also see that the channel matching is not ideal (and also load sensitive). The device digitizes even the analogue input and processes internally at 44,1kHz, so FR drops like a brick just before 20kHz. It seems it might the possible to change the sampling rate in the ACPWorkbench app, but even so it caps-out at 48kHz. Otherwise the FR is reasonably flat with these resistive loads. Using a complex load like a loudspeaker would introduce variations in the FR (see an explanation here).

Based on the measured voltage with 4 Ohm and 8 Ohm resistive loads I calculated and plotted the output impedance:
View attachment 255109
As we can see, left channel output impedance at 1kHz measures 0,68 Ohm and right channel 1,1 Ohm. This corresponds to left channel 8Ohm damping factor of ~12 and right channel ~7. Unfortunately that is quite a bad result.

Power into 4Ohms (20kHz BW, one channel driven)
View attachment 255122
Power into 8Ohms (20kHz BW, one channel driven)

View attachment 255123
Good news is that both corresponds to the manufacturer-specified power ratings.

DSP / PEQ capabilities
While the amplifier allows the user to set basic tone EQ (bass / treble) from the remote, the optional add-on ACPWorkbench Tuning Tool Windows app (price: 20$) allows the user to individually set up to 8 bands of PEQ for the left, right, sub channels, and an additional one for the overall stereo output - as well as to add various other processing (sub delay, source pre-gain, etc..).

Here's a snip of PEQ settings from the tool and the resulting FR measurements:
View attachment 255135

I thought it was very cool that the sub output has a dedicated DSP channel - that gives quite a bit of additional flexibility for subwoofer integration!
View attachment 255136

BTW, when you disable all DSP for the sub output (marked as 'mono channel' in the ACP app), there is still a 240Hz -12dB/oct LPF applied (and a strange, slow LF droop that reaches -7,6dB by 20Hz):
View attachment 255137

How does it work in practice?
I found the A50+ was very nice to use. The remote was very intuitive and the 4STREAM app worked well in the short time I tested it. It also works well with the WiiM mobile app. The feature set is IMHO really amazing, and especially for the low asking price.

However, when I connected the amp to my Revel M16 speakers, at 2,3m listening distance I could right away notice slight hissing/humming. When I came closer to the loudspeaker the noise was quite apparent, and its spectrum/character was changing depending on the status of the amp.
E.g. immediately after playback it is typical white noise spectrum hiss (I will call this the "Ready" status). After a few seconds it modulates to a hum (I will call this "Standby 1" status) and if you wait a bit longer the hum becomes much less audible (I will call this "Standby 2" status).

I noticed this behaviour while doing measurements as well - here's an example of how this looks like:
View attachment 255144

Apart from this, I'd rather not comment on the sound, because I didn't use any controls in my listening. It played IMHO loud enough in an apartment building context at 2,3m listening distance with 86dB (2.83V @ 1M) sensitivity bookshelf loudspeakers.

Conclusion
Really hard to rate this device - on one hand the feature set is quite unique for the very low price. On the other hand, measured performance is poor in most tests.
If the amp had a basic display and measured performance similar to at least Infineon/Merus-based amps it would be a winner. As is I can only recommend it for use-cases where audio performance is of secondary importance.

Thanks for reading! :)
Nice review!
I think they just announced a new amplifier with Phono, HDMI ARC, APTx HD and ACP workbench

B50___PC_6971218c-1859-4140-817b-2f23994c08ab_1944x.jpg

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice review!
I think they just announced a new amplifier with Phono, HDMI ARC, APTx HD and ACP workbench

View attachment 258183
Thanks. It’s such a pity. The features and price is just great if these would not measure soooo badly (assuming this one does too which of course is to be confirmed). Although one would hope that they have read the reviews and learned from it.

AJM1981

I might give the workbench a go, given the opening post as my subwoofer just doesnt extend well as in that its higher bass frequencies slightly overlap with the lowest frequencies of my Denton 85.

Another subject. I mainly play music but one thing that kind of blew my mind is how well the 'dBass' function of the amp works for films.

I can recommend to disable the subwoofer while using this function (otherwise it will be a mess of bass), but I found out that my Dentons have quite a bit of headroom. The resulting experience of clear detailed and punchy "cinematic bass" was almost at the point that I questioned the need for a sub in small to average rooms in the first place.

Top Bottom