• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi Audio T10 - initial opinions

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought I would share my initial opinions about the Fosi Audio T10. Note: this is not a necessarily a review either subjective or objective. I am just providing some brief opinions below. I will attempt to answer questions in any follow on comments as I further test this unit.

In my opinion, the Fosi Audio T10 is an interesting product and the first "streaming integrated amplifier" at this price point with a 'decent' audio chipset and good power output, e.g. it considerable cheaper than that Arcrlic A50+ with some similarities. I believe it is perfect for my use-case for it, which is as a low power always on streaming amplifier for my kitchen setup, specifically for non-critical streaming music while cooking.

Effectively this is a Wiim Mini merged with a typical Fosi Audio Bluetooth amplifiers e.g. maybe a BT20A as it has a similar look (with the USB input on the front and a similar TPA3116 chipset). From my brief experience previously with TPA3116 amplifiers I would imagine this has a similar sound profile, though not as 'good' as the TPA3227 in an A07 or Fosi Audio own TBD10D but for most people in non-critical listening the overall experience will be good.

What you get in the box:
IMG_6190.jpg

The power supply is a typical 24V / 4.5 A and Fosi Audio are claiming get 100W + 100W @3G - but while I would not believe these output specifications, it certainly does get loud as one odd decision with this amplifier is there is no volume 'button' - you have to use the remote or control volume within the Wiim App. I got an initial blast of audio as the default volume is close to Max and it took me a couple of seconds to find the remote and lower the volume.
The full specs are here for those interested: https://www.fosiaudio.com/product/user-instruction/t10/

So, for the price, this amplifier is full of features:
1. Wifi and Ethernet connectivity
2. LinkPlay streaming platform built in - so utilises the same application as the Wiim Mini from the AppStore / Playstore
3. USB storage for local file playback - I tried some high ref FLAC as well as MP3 and M4A files so good compatibility
4. Full range Aux output for external sub-woofer or as a pre-amp
5. Bluetooth 5.0 (though it seems to only support SBC so works fine just no AAC or APTX or newer bluetooth codecs)
6. Aux in
7. Remote Control - this is basically required as no physical buttons on the front of the device.

IMG_6191.jpg

Wifi Setup is via the Wiim App and I noticed an odd issue (more with the Wiim App) as I had to restart the app fully to get it to properly setup the wifi network. Ethernet works without any complications. Once added to the Wiim App it works very similar to a Wiim Mini - though because the firmware is different you cannot link the T10 and the Wiim Mini within the app. I actually reached out to Fosi Audio about this and they were very responsive and may look at updating the firmware on the T10. I do hope they do as the constant updates to the Wiim Mini over the past year have made that a great product and given this shares the same basic platform it would be great to see some extra features added over time. For example, there is no EQ with the T10 and some of the settings exposed within the Wiim App do not make sense for the T10.

Mostly I have streaming Spotify premium and a few other streaming services and it has been fine. Amazon Prime music did not work so hopefully there is a fix with a future firmware update. I do not have Tidal or Qobuz so cannot say if they work or not. The Music servers options works well so I have been playing music off my Plex Servers via DLNA and I really like that the contents of USB on the front of the T10 are actually displayed within the Wiim App, so you can browse any music you have put onto a USB key in the T10 from within the Wiim App. I hope with a few firmware upgrades, Fosi Audio can enhance the experience further.

One requirement I have for this was that it would take minimal power and I am delighted to say it uses hardly any power. About 2.1w while on but idle and at most I needed 3.1w when streaming music pretty loud to my speakers. Considering I measured the power the combination of Wiim Mini + DAC + A07 as 10w idle, I think this could provide a nice solution to leave always connected in my kitchen.

Overall, I think this a very interesting product with lots of features and a very attractive price point. Though I imagine it would test similar to other TPA3116 based devices.

71vOje-9W8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
So having played with this Amp for about a week I thought I would share some more technical details and pictures. But first I thought I would share what I think is good and bad about this amp to allow people decide if I could be for them:

Good points:
1. Technical features (for the price)
I specifically wanted a device which I could leave on all the time but can easily 'cast' music too via all the usual Wifi protocols (and occasionally via bluetooth). Because this is effectively a wiim mini merged with a class D amp it uses the same LinkPlay platform as the Wiim Mini / Pro - I can use Airplay, Spotify Connect, DLNA etc so its very simple to use. There are other features I mentioned previously e.g. USB
2. Very simple to setup as it's a single box - No wires other than the speaker cables. Therefore, I think this device would work well as a present to someone who has some old speakers lying around and wants to start into music streaming.
3. Its tiny - can easily be hidden away and because you use the App or the remote to control it - you never never need to physically interact with it.
4. Low Power consumption - It uses an unbelievable small amount on power - even when switched on and on the wifi network - 2.1W and < 3W when streaming music at relatively loud levels. This is less than the other Class D amp I have and I believe is even less than the Wiim Mini on its own. Unlike lots of audio devices which need to be switched on / off all the time this can be left running and not cost a fortune.
5. Remote control - most Amp at this price do not include a remote (I think even with the Wiim Pro a remote is going to be an extra cost)
6. Fosi Audio Support - I asked them a few technical questions this week about it and they were very honest and responsive with their answers

Bad points:
1. Firmware cannot be updated - while the device will benefit from future features in the Wiim App (as that is the official App for this device also) - it won't be getting updates like the Wiim Mini or Pro - so no PEQ coming this device - Fosi Audio confirmed this but did add that a future version of this product would incorporate firmware updates (I can imagine a T10 Pro maybe later this year or next year)
2. A Wiim Mini + better class D amp (e.g. Fosi Audio TPA3227 TBD10D) would sound better IMO - I have been spoiled by high quality class D amps - this has a slightly older / cheaper TI based amp chip - that said for causal listening (especially my use case) it will be perfect

Anyway, before I put it in its final location (high in my kitchen over the kitchen presses with some nice but small speakers) - I thought I would open it up and share some photos of the internals for those interested:
tempImagemyt8bG.png
tempImageubb015.png
tempImagexQ5sKR.png
tempImagevx7yZr.png
tempImagev0yzCM.png

Finally, one of the benefits IMO of the LinkPlay platform is it's easy to automate e.g. add a trigger to start playing a playlist when I start making coffee in the morning etc. I might provide some details of this in another post.

ThsM

The cheapaudioman just dropped a review on that amp

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Just watched the review and mostly I think it's a fair review - I agree its the perfect device for the back garden or in my case a large kitchen

Elitzur–Vaidman

Now I feel foolish for getting my buddy a aiyima A07 + wiim mini to power/control the outdoor speakers I got him as a housewarming present.

ThsM

Now I feel foolish for getting my buddy a aiyima A07 + wiim mini to power/control the outdoor speakers I got him as a housewarming present.
Actually, I don't know the Fosi Audio. But I would choose the Aiyima + WIIM over the Fosi Audio as well.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Actually, I don't know the Fosi Audio. But I would choose the Aiyima + WIIM over the Fosi Audio as well.
I think it depends on what you want - the A07 (or the Fosi Audio equivalent the TBD10D) + a Wiim Mini is a better combination - more powerful amp and there are more options in the Wiim Mini (e.g EQ) but there are more cables involved and it's a bit more setup.

One thing I really liked about the T10 was the super low power required when it was on wifi waiting for music to be streamed - about 1/3 of the power of the Aiyima and Wiim Mini.

Elitzur–Vaidman

Well I haven't actually installed his outdoor speakers yet. Maybe I'll buy one of these and swap electronics if I can come up with a use for another A07.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Well I haven't actually installed his outdoor speakers yet. Maybe I'll buy one of these and swap electronics if I can come up with a use for another A07.
One thing to check would be if when using Wiim Mini App to control the T10 that it supports the audio streams from the specific streaming providers they will use. Nothing wrong with using the A07 though - it will potentially louder - though you probably won't need louder than the T10 unless its a massive garden.

Yasuo

This looks good. I have tried and still own a couple of TPA3116 amps and one thing I can say it's they need some current to "work". Currently I'm using a 20V 10A power supply for some (stereo) speakers.

ClassicGuy

So having played with this Amp for about a week I thought I would share some more technical details and pictures. But first I thought I would share what I think is good and bad about this amp to allow people decide if I could be for them:
Nice review! One minor correction: the Fosi TB10D chip is TPA3255, not TPA3227.

Top Bottom