• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any women on this forum?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If a woman finds that phrase sexist and offensive, guess what? It is to them.

If anyone has issues with a controlling wife, perhaps they should "man up", and find another who isn't like that... ;)

Imagining something that isn't, doesn't change its definition, nor make it real, nor does it place requirements on others to share in the misconception. See also: "The Emperor's New Clothes".

Don't understand your comment about a "controlling wife" ??? Joint cohabitation is a mutual compromise. I would think not giving your wife a say in the matter would be the sexist (or at least controlling) thing.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
What is sexist about the term WAF ? Just because the term upsets someone doesn't make it sexist. It is a fact of married life. When I buy something, my wife usually ALWAYS HAS A SAY because we both have to live with the decision. When it comes to audio, I enlist her ears in the evaluation because she hears differently than I do and I want something we both will enjoy. Her ears are shaped differently than mine and she hears higher frequencies than I do. Biological fact, nothing sexist about it. Maybe I should consider her sexist for having better hearing than I do ??? When I buy her expensive "surprise gifts", she gets to pick them out (directly or indirectly) because her tastes are sometimes different than mine. Hell, she even designed her own engagement ring with the jeweler so she got exactly what she wanted, WAF. Again, nothing sexist about the term WAF, just reality. Going on 40 years with my one and only wife I have learned one thing. Happy Wife, Happy Life, WAF.

Also, selling something that one presumably likes at presumably a financial loss on the used market to ineffectually "smite" a dealer dealer that could care less only hurts the person discarding their belongings at a financial and functional loss. This seems to have been more of a knee jerk reaction than a logically thought out one. Then again, there is something to be said about peace of mind if the losses actuallly achieved the goal.
I'm married and accept WAF as a fact and way of life. No way around it :). After some furniture moving, I had to lose my 5.1 setup to become 3.1 coz of WAF. Just accept it and move along :D. Of course I have another setup which is 7.1... wonder how I'd react if that was going away too ;)

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor
Let's leave the politics behind... Let's get back to how awesome EE's are ...
Shout out to all my fellow math majors too! That DSP ain't gonna design and write itself!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Imagining something that isn't, doesn't change its definition, nor make it real, nor does it place requirements on others to share in the misconception.

Absolutely true. Well said.

Way too much weak-ass pious virtue signalling.

WAF in HiFi is real, and not remotely a sexist term. It's an unwritten contract where I don't drag home some hideous old, refrigerator sized, peeling veneer and plaid-grilled speakers from the 1960s, just because they happen to have "valuable" drivers in them. If I do, I pull the drivers and take the cabinet to the landfill, sell the drivers on eBay and buy something else with the profit. Last time I did that, she got to pick 9 work dresses from her favourite seller with the windfall profit.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On WAF I wouldn't consider that sexist as if you are married to someone then to me it would display a lack of respect not to consider their feelings about a big ticket purchase which will effectively be part of the furniture. I have seen plenty of things I like but my wife doesn't, is it sexist to display mutual compromise in these things? Sometimes she tells me to get things because she knows I like it and she can accept it, other times I look for something else because I know that whatever she says she hates it.

On bigotry, the problem with bigoted behaviour isn't the age, ethnicity or gender of the bigoted behaviour, the problem is the behaviour. Anyone trying to assign some sort of guilt by easy categorization is going down a dangerous path.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A question, as a man on a audio forum would you have a different feeling and indeed treat a woman differently here than you would if addressing a fellow hairy arsed male?

The hobby and by in large this site is male dominated, do you think that's part of the appeal to you?
No and no. I suppose the only interesting answers would be from someone who answered differently, and explained themselves.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Since this thread started wandering, I might as well confess, that despite I love and adore women, I just can't understand how some 98% of them are heterosexual and want to live with men. It must have something to do with evolution and practical reasons, because men just look ugly, can't discuss, behave or dress well and smell bad!

I'm happy to say that for the last 40 years 80% of my colleagues and workmates have been women! I don't have a brother, just one sister, three daughters and two sons. Second wife seems to stay around still after 18 years...

This comic series is one of the most popular in Finland, for a reason! http://viivijawagner.com/
02102_05_1280px.jpg

- Why don't you ever buy me presents without a reason?
- Just because I want to buy them for myself.
- Today I bought ribs and beer.
- Yuck! In the bedroom drawer?!

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Since this thread started wandering, I might as well confess, that despite I love and adore women, I just can't understand how some 98% of them are heterosexual and want to live with men. It must have something to do with evolution and practical reasons, because men just look ugly, can't behave or dress well and smell bad!

I'm happy to say that for the last 40 years 80% of my colleagues and workmates have been women! I don't have a brother, just one sister, three daughters and two sons. Second wife seems to stay around still after 18 years...
I can't see the appeal of men either but I can dress myself, I don't smell bad , I'm emotionally available, I can listen and know my way round a stove.

I know it's unusual ha ha

Top Bottom