• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anyone Here Have an Emotiva PT1 Preamp?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
While I'm waiting for Fosi and Aiyima to put out a RCA multi-input preamp - or for Schiit to come up with a new Solid State preamp - I stumbled across the Emotiva PT1 description yesterday. Seems to pack a lot in for $400. While I have no need of a FM tuner anymore, it checks all my other boxes (digital in, phono pre, multiple inputs, decent volume pot and a remote) and the specs look decent. Inside shots look...weird...a lot crammed onto two tiny boards and a lot of empty space in the case. Was just curious if anyone here had one and can comment on its performance, ease of use, durability etc.

rwortman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had the previous version for a short time. It was OK. The phono stage was no great shakes but the DAC worked well. If you use a turntable much you’d be better off with an outboard phono preamp. BTW Schiit has a solid state preamp but no phono stage in it. I ended up deciding I wanted a serious preamp, sold it, and bought a Macintosh C49.

OP
J

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Yeah, what I really want is for Schiit to bring back the Saga S (it was discontinued several months ago) but with an optional phono card slot. I like that form factor better than the Emotiva. Supposedly Schiit is working on something new that is more RCA-input based than balanced...but they are vague about the details.

For my main phono setups, I use my restored vintage units (Kenwood KA-3500 and Marantz 2216) - with phono boards recapped etc. I mostly want a new modern pre to pair with some of the Class D amps I'm using in small room setups. I have a couple of small phono pre's (U-Turn Pluto, Art DJ) to use for instances where I am not plugged to one of the restored vintage units. I like everything I read about the Darlington Labs phono pres, would like to try one someday, but at this point I have too many standalone things, I was holding out to see if either the Chinese manufacturers or Schiit would come through with a full-bore unit.

Congrats on the C49, that's a bit out of my ballpark...I'm sure it's nice...

djb

I just got the PT1 this week. I really like it thus far. You can't touch the functionality for $400.

Only negative is I get some speaker hiss in phono mode. I don't play vinyl often and haven't trouble shot it yet. 95% of my listening is cd and streaming.

OP
J

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I just got the PT1 this week. I really like it thus far. You can't touch the functionality for $400.

Only negative is I get some speaker hiss in phono mode. I don't play vinyl often and haven't trouble shot it yet. 95% of my listening is cd and streaming.
If you resolve that hiss issue, let me know...this unit is still on my radar for sure. It is interesting to me that this category (fully featured solid state preamps for less than $750) is so unpopulated. The new high-measuring amps are not going to have the full range of inputs needed for people who are using multiple listening formats/mediums...

djb

Will do. Im not big into vinyl so it may be a simple ground or my lower Audio Technica player. I'm just not that knowledgeable. The amp is dead silent on all other inputs.

Top Bottom