• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any women on this forum?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing of course, but I can understand why they were sold. The mind relates the speaker with the bad experience which can spoil the fun listening to them. I once had a similar experience (not in audio though) and it took quite a while to not think about the bad experience when using it.

Indeed,
Nothing of course, but I can understand why they were sold. The mind relates the speaker with the bad experience which can spoil the fun listening to them. I once had a similar experience (not in audio though) and it took quite a while to not think about the bad experience when using it.

Indeed, I had a similar feeling about my AKG N90Qs and got rid of them even though they were very good headphones.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Her ears are shaped differently than mine and she hears higher frequencies than I do. Biological fact, nothing sexist about it. ...
I believe this is generally true in the population. Women on average have better hearing acuity than men. I think men & women are roughly equally interested in music. But, on average fewer women are interested in engineering. If my daughter is representative, she can hear the difference when I change things in my audio room but she cares more about the music than the sound quality. And that is despite the fact that she is both a musician, and a math/engineering nut, which is the ideal recipe for being an audiophile.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
In my experience, women don't care for audio equipment much; they use audio products in a practical sense without thinking about the technicalities too much.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the way men talk to men. Why does it become mansplaining when women are involved? If you require special genteel provisions you are not being an equal colleague.
Maybe sometimes, and often online, but generally face to face no.

Fregly

Maybe sometimes, and often online, but generally face to face no.
Well in both instances it's maybe sometimes, occasionally. Talking over someone or pushing a point interrupting happens with both sexes, whenever a subject has some importance or intensity to it.

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor
This is the way men talk to men. Why does it become mansplaining when women are involved? If you require special genteel provisions you are not being an equal colleague.
Mansplaining is just a humorous way to refer to the all too frequent experience of having a man explain something to a woman because he assumes that she doesn't know something because she's a woman.

Some people are more sensitive to it than others. In fields where there are few women, audio, for example, it is common to see people, men and women alike, assuming that the woman knows less. It's just a consequence of having low representation in a field and nothing inherently malicious. It can be frustrating and annoying not being taken seriously or being considered an equal peer when it happens a lot.

Funny enough, I hardly ever have it happen online because I'm just a wall of text, but it happens pretty often in real life because then I'm a living, breathing woman and not just text. I usually laugh it off when it happens because I have self-confidence. I don't have a need to prove myself to anyone.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 65

So, inspired by you being open & no avatar behind changing avatar from my granddaughter to myself!

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I usually laugh it off when it happens because I have self-confidence. I don't have a need to prove myself to anyone.

You would be right at home at one of SIY's get togethers plenty of outspoken women. IME engineers tend to have daughters it creates a balance.

mansr

Major Contributor
Mansplaining is just a humorous way to refer to the all too frequent experience of having a man explain something to a woman because he assumes that she doesn't know something because she's a woman.
Why can't we call it jerksplaining instead? It's equally annoying whatever the genders of the jerk and the victim.

OP
ayane

ayane

Forum Donor
Why can't we call it jerksplaining instead? It's equally annoying whatever the genders of the jerk and the victim.
I'm sure the opposite happens too, when men are present in women-dominated spaces, but it isn't talked about for three reasons: primarily, there are more men-dominated spaces than woman-dominated spaces; men tend to be more socially competitive than women; and women tend to be more sensitive to than men to this sort of interaction.

I however fully agree with you in that condescension is condescension, no matter where it comes from or what the intent is. I am proud of this forum because gender is not relevant when it happens here; the EEs pick on the unscientific subjectivists equal opportunity, just the way it should be! =P

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Because it really is a man to woman thing most often. A lot of men, probably most, will just assume that a woman doesn't know a damned thing about many subjects. It's totally different from just explaining.

SounderMN

My lady is a budding audiophile. Recently, I was considering a speaker upgrade from Revel F208 to F228Be - at considerable expense. She said, "I think you should get them." That really surprised me. But, as it relates to this thread... she is NOT interested in participating in forums. She will spend time helping me choose gear and music, but isn't a hobbyist the way I am.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@RayDunzl is a woman. Don't judge him by his looks cause his quite competent. @Blumlein 88 was a woman, very hot looking, but he had a change of heart (and sex) recently. Also very competent though. And then there is our host, @amirm - he's got both, look and brain. :D
Goddamn catfishers the lot of 'em.

Top Bottom