• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem MRX1120 Home Theater AVR Review

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have manually set the volume to output 2 volts. At full output, you get 3 volts. I also tested the unit using S/PDIF input and performance was the same. Our ranking is nothing to write home about among stereo DACs:
View attachment 53153

But among AV products, this is above average:

View attachment 53154

It actually beats the pants off my PS Audio Stellar GCD, which came in at 58! Only one of the tested AVR/Processors was worse. I'm actually thinking to get rid of both my GCD and power amp, and pick up an Anthem STR Integrated, which I wish we had a measured test of.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I read about that too, search and found a thread on this:

https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/yamahas-ypao-and-manual-settings.119586/

As for the PEQ band limit, it does go down to 15 Hz for the newer models including the CX-A5100

https://www.audioholics.com/av-prea...ha-aventage-cx-a5100-preamp-processor-preview

In that reviews, Gene said "The fact that Yamaha now allows the user to manually EQ down to 15Hz is a game changer in helping combat problematic room modes. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't allow you to enter any discrete frequency of your choice, but the options are pretty flexible, and you get 7 bands per channel with full adjustability of Q and level. Once we got the EQ all dialed in, we went back to the main page of the receiver editor app and saved the configuration file. This is yet another very useful feature to be able to store your entire configuration in case down the road you muck things up and want to get back to the last known good configuration. "

I don't own a modern Yamaha AVR/AVC but if Gene said so, I believe him. It is probably in the Owner's manual too, I would think..
I
Based on the AH measurements on the CX-A5000/5100/5200, I would consider the 5100 the very reasonably priced AVC. If you need more than 11 channel processing and don't need balanced I/Os, then I suspect when the street price for the AVR-X8500H/AVC-X8500H drops to below USD3,000, it could well be the most "reasonably priced" AVC/P, when preamp mode is engaged.
Street price is already below $3k. For example safeandsoundhq open box with full manufacturers warranty is for $2999. Over the holidays I picked mine up for $2700 from them. Great place to deal with. It is expensive still but for what it provides, I think it is actually a good value.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I

Street price is already below $3k. For example safeandsoundhq open box with full manufacturers warranty is for $2999. Over the holidays I picked mine up for $2700 from them. Great place to deal with. It is expensive still but for what it provides, I think it is actually a good value.

For $2,700 I think you got a winner. Was it you who told me this thing can be set to disconnect any channel amps aside from the preamp mode that disconnects all channel amps? That means one can use it as a 13 channel in preamp mode and that would be the lowest cost AVC/AVP for 13.1 processing. Or one can use it with a high quality 3 channel power amp for the L/R channel for high quality Stereo enjoyment and use the internal power amps to drive the surround speakers.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For $2,700 I think you got a winner. Was it you who told me this thing can be set to disconnect any channel amps aside from the preamp mode that disconnects all channel amps? That means one can use it as a 13 channel in preamp mode and that would be the lowest cost AVC/AVP for 13.1 processing. Or one can use it with a high quality 3 channel power amp for the L/R channel for high quality Stereo enjoyment and use the internal power amps to drive the surround speakers.
Yes, you can disconnect any amp individually, or you can set the entire unit to preamp mode disconnecting all amps. I believe it is the only Denon/Marantz model that can do this for all channels or individually.

Mocs123

Forum Donor
Is it that hard to build a decent A/V Receiver or Processor? I understand that the margins are so small and competition for features so high on the lower end of the market that they may make serious design compromises for the cost, but this is marketed as a high end unit. I can see no excuse for the poor test performance of some of the high end receivers and processors that you have tested. You would think that these "high end" manufactures would put some effort into making a product that tests (and performs) well.

I bought my first Anthem combo, a AVM-20v2 processor and PVA-7 Amp, a couple of years after I graduated college. I wasn't making a ton of money, but I didn't have a ton of bills either, so I had plenty of disposable income. I still use that PVA-7 amp today 16 years later in my home theater. I sold the Anthem Processor when Dolby True HD and DTS EX came out and replaced it with a Onkyo Pre-Pro that had HDMI and supported the new audio formats, and lightning finally ran in and disabled the HDMI board but not long after that I moved and lost my dedicated theater. In the new house I was limited to a 3.1 system in the living room, so I bought an Anthem MRX300 as my receiver as it reportedly could handle 4ohm speakers such as my Dynaudio Audience 52's. Ironically, a lightning strike also took out that HDMI board. When I built my new theater last year, I just didn't feel like I could spend the money on a high end processor such as the Anthem AVM60 or Marantz 8805 and instead paired a Onkyo RZ830 Receiver with my old Anthem PVA7. I'm sure my Onkyo doesn't test great, but it was $500 and apparantly the higher end units don't test well either so I'm glad I saved the money.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it that hard to build a decent A/V Receiver or Processor? I understand that the margins are so small and competition for features so high on the lower end of the market that they may make serious design compromises for the cost, but this is marketed as a high end unit. I can see no excuse for the poor test performance of some of the high end receivers and processors that you have tested. You would think that these "high end" manufactures would put some effort into making a product that tests (and performs) well.

I bought my first Anthem combo, a AVM-20v2 processor and PVA-7 Amp, a couple of years after I graduated college. I wasn't making a ton of money, but I didn't have a ton of bills either, so I had plenty of disposable income. I still use that PVA-7 amp today 16 years later in my home theater. I sold the Anthem Processor when Dolby True HD and DTS EX came out and replaced it with a Onkyo Pre-Pro that had HDMI and supported the new audio formats, and lightning finally ran in and disabled the HDMI board but not long after that I moved and lost my dedicated theater. In the new house I was limited to a 3.1 system in the living room, so I bought an Anthem MRX300 as my receiver as it reportedly could handle 4ohm speakers such as my Dynaudio Audience 52's. Ironically, a lightning strike also took out that HDMI board. When I built my new theater last year, I just didn't feel like I could spend the money on a high end processor such as the Anthem AVM60 or Marantz 8805 and instead paired a Onkyo RZ830 Receiver with my old Anthem PVA7. I'm sure my Onkyo doesn't test great, but it was $500 and apparantly the higher end units don't test well either so I'm glad I saved the money.

I did the same when I replaced my AV8801 and have no regret. If anything the results/effects of the downgrade actually felt like an upgrade.
The MRX 300 was not rated 4 ohms, I am not aware any AVR that is rated for 4 ohms without caveat. In terms of "handling", sure, any AVR can handle 4 ohms, just don't go crazy on the volume.:D

The RZ830 will most likely measure better than the MRX 720 anyway.

JDragon

It actually beats the pants off my PS Audio Stellar GCD, which came in at 58! Only one of the tested AVR/Processors was worse. I'm actually thinking to get rid of both my GCD and power amp, and pick up an Anthem STR Integrated, which I wish we had a measured test of.
Stereophile measured the STR Integrated: https://www.stereophile.com/content/anthem-electronics-str-da-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Their subjective review was very positive (as all their subjective reviews tend to be).

Gene @ Audioholics measured the STR separates: https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/anthem-str-preamp-power-amplifier/p2

His subjective review was also very positive and he ended up buying the review samples.

I personally own the STR separates and am thrilled with them.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Stereophile measured the STR Integrated: https://www.stereophile.com/content/anthem-electronics-str-da-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Their subjective review was very positive (as all their subjective reviews tend to be).

Gene @ Audioholics measured the STR separates: https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/anthem-str-preamp-power-amplifier/p2

His subjective review was also very positive and he ended up buying the review samples.

I personally own the STR separates and am thrilled with them.
Thanks for the link! I guess it tests out pretty well, considering all the features it includes, such as MC and MM phono inputs, home theater bypass capability, ARC, etc.

tparm

Forum Donor
I have this in my cinema room, with the stereo speakers and subs driven by a Lyngdorf 3400 from the pre-outs on the Anthem. So thanks for reviewing my setup!

It would be interesting to see how well the room correction performs quantitatively.

To my ears, the Anthem is not good enough for music - not even close. But the Lyngdorf does sound excellent. The Lyngdorf is also way better than the Arcam AVR 850 that I also have - although a lot of review sites rate the Arcam for music, I never found it good enough either.

@onion, would you be so kind as to send your AVR850 to Amir for a review? You seem to have multiple units sitting around so it wouldn't put you in a situation where you are without music while your amp is away. Just a thought. Lots of folks here would like to see how an Arcam piece measures.

Trevor

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Y
I have this in my cinema room, with the stereo speakers and subs driven by a Lyngdorf 3400 from the pre-outs on the Anthem. So thanks for reviewing my setup!

It would be interesting to see how well the room correction performs quantitatively.

To my ears, the Anthem is not good enough for music - not even close. But the Lyngdorf does sound excellent. The Lyngdorf is also way better than the Arcam AVR 850 that I also have - although a lot of review sites rate the Arcam for music, I never found it good enough either.
What do you attribute the Lyngdorf 3400 sound better do you think? From the measurements it seems that they seem similar in some ways and the 3400 measuring worse in some ways. Do you attribute it to the Lyngdorf having Room Perfect and doing a better job?

amira

That's been my experience with RoomPerfect as well. Tested every other RC solution other than Trinnov and preferred RP in blind and sighted testing.

tparm

Forum Donor
If anyone is still watching this thread that has insider info, have you heard anything about new Anthem receives being announced?

Thanks.

ririt

unfortunately not.. just saw rumors on various forums but nothing concrete

JKJ

I'm not able to divulge my source of information, but I have it on reasonably good authority that the forthcoming "AVM70" and the related receivers have been pushed back to late 4Q at best, but more likely 1Q 2021. I was hoping to see them a bit sooner, but I suspect Covid-19 has taken its toll.

Mocs123

Forum Donor
I assume they are going to be HDMI 2.1 compliant. Other than no being able to decode more than 7.1.4, they've held up pretty well as long as they've been out. The lower tier models need to decode more channels but the AVM60 and MRX1120 seems to have most of everything you'd want even today.

circumstances

Hi guys. First post. I had no idea reading home theater equipment reviews could be so depressing!

I would like to read Amir's review of an AVM60 (I think?).

However, no matter how good it tested I would want to wait for AVM70 (which we should be hearing about in the next few months).

I only run a 5.1 setup, and I am not going to expand.

I will end up with way more channel-capability than I would ever use.

My current system is an ancient AVM20 and an equally ancient MCA50.

Instead of waiting for the upcoming AVM70 (which will almost certainly have an MSRP north of the AVM60s $3000), I would like to find a processor to pair with my MCA50 RIGHT NOW (like today).

Is there anything that tests out reasonably well in the $1000 range?

I'll likely be buying a 4K tv and UHD disc player at some point, so having 4K HDR passthrough capability would be good.

If I could make this happen I could take my time figuring out what I want to do long term, and still have something to listen to right now.

Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys. First post. I had no idea reading home theater equipment reviews could be so depressing!

I would like to read Amir's review of an AVM60 (I think?).

However, no matter how good it tested I would want to wait for AVM70 (which we should be hearing about in the next few months).

I only run a 5.1 setup, and I am not going to expand.

I will end up with way more channel-capability than I would ever use.

My current system is an ancient AVM20 and an equally ancient MCA50.

Instead of waiting for the upcoming AVM70 (which will almost certainly have an MSRP north of the AVM60s $3000), I would like to find a processor to pair with my MCA50 RIGHT NOW (like today).

I'll likely be buying a 4K tv and UHD disc player at some point, so having 4K HDR passthrough capability would be good.

If I could make this happen I could take my time figuring out what I want to do long term, and still have something to listen to right now.

Thanks!
Welcome to ASR @circumstances I have no idea about processors but welcome. :D

ririt

According to the recent measurements performed on ASR, Denon 3700 and 4700 are falling into your requirements. Measurement are a bit better than the Anthem MRX 1120 and their new full preamp mode are making them compliant with your need.

circumstances

According to the recent measurements performed on ASR, Denon 3700 and 4700 are falling into your requirements. Measurement are a bit better than the Anthem MRX 1120 and their new full preamp mode are making them compliant with your need.
Thank you so much!

I know what I'll be researching after work today :)

Too bad they don't do a pre/pro without the power for less $$.

Before I go look, are the DACs the same between the 3700 and the 4700?

Any other contenders?

Top Bottom