• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem MRX1120 Home Theater AVR Review

madbrayniak

New Anthem models 1140, 740, 540 possibly introduced at end of year! Similar story as with the leaked Yamaha 2020 receivers, no verification from manufacturer yet. Picture was linked to AVSForum.

93oCGQX.jpg

These look nice! Seems like they are trying to get a unified look with the STR line.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These look nice! Seems like they are trying to get a unified look with the STR line.

They could still improve the look by orders of magnitude: add an Auro logo to the faceplate. And the code inside, it goes without saying.

madbrayniak

They could still improve the look by orders of magnitude: add an Auro logo to the faceplate. And the code inside, it goes without saying.

I guess i like the plane-jane looks.

The lack of buttons is a good thing as its less for my wife and kids to screw up.

I honestly dont know a single movie that is coded in Auro 3D off the too of my head.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly dont know a single movie that is coded in Auro 3D off the too of my head.

That's not the point.

There are also native Auro music recordings, though the only ones I have are on their two demo disks (I think).

Auro is there for upmixing 2-channel music recordings. Dolby Surround and DTS neural:X both do a poor job of ambience extraction in music. They're designed to steer sound effects all over the place, not extract ambience from music. For some it's unneeded. I won't consider any processor for purchase or even review (because I'd spend half the review pointing out that missing feature) unless Auro is on board.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I don't get why Auro is left out of some high dollar processors(this, Emotiva) when it's available in the sub-$1000 Denon set. Not everyone cares about upmixing, but enough do that it's a feature Anthem DOES include. However, from what I've read, Anthem's proprietary AnthemLogic upmixing is terrible and maintaining that must be more expensive than just including Auro.

madbrayniak

That's not the point.

There are also native Auro music recordings, though the only ones I have are on their two demo disks (I think).

Auro is there for upmixing 2-channel music recordings. Dolby Surround and DTS neural:X both do a poor job of ambience extraction in music. They're designed to steer sound effects all over the place, not extract ambience from music. For some it's unneeded. I won't consider any processor for purchase or even review (because I'd spend half the review pointing out that missing feature) unless Auro is on board.

Fair enough.

I have never heard that format so i dont know what I am missing.

But the only reason I wont buy another streaming device that Shield TV is because i dont know of another one that supports as many video and audio formats.

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, are there ANY, high performing, reasonably priced Pre-Pros? If so, I'll just accept using external amps to decouple needing to find an AVR that is correspondingly good in all areas. But I AM willing to use an AVR (with external amps) if it can be used as a GOOD pre-pro, for the price.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So, are there ANY, high performing, reasonably priced Pre-Pros? If so, I'll just accept using external amps to decouple needing to find an AVR that is correspondingly good in all areas. But I AM willing to use an AVR (with external amps) if it can be used as a GOOD pre-pro, for the price.

Based on the AH measurements on the CX-A5000/5100/5200, I would consider the 5100 the very reasonably priced AVC. If you need more than 11 channel processing and don't need balanced I/Os, then I suspect when the street price for the AVR-X8500H/AVC-X8500H drops to below USD3,000, it could well be the most "reasonably priced" AVC/P, when preamp mode is engaged.

JimB

Forum Donor
Based on the AH measurements on the CX-A5000/5100/5200, I would consider the 5100 the very reasonably priced AVC. If you need more than 11 channel processing and don't need balanced I/Os, then I suspect when the street price for the AVR-X8500H/AVC-X8500H drops to below USD3,000, it could well be the most "reasonably priced" AVC/P, when preamp mode is engaged.
Thanks! I really only need 5.2 channels. The Yamaha CX-A5100 does, indeed, look interesting, though I note a lack of ability to do room EQ below 62 Hz, which is a primary consideration for me. It seems AH measured the CX-A5000 (and that performance looked pretty good), but not the C5100? I guess they have been replaced by the 5200, but it (still?) has problems with high level output on it's main (L&R) XLR ouputs?
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-cx-a5200-mx-a5200/conclusion

Performance of the Denon AVR-X8500H is suspect to me, given the poor pre-pro measurements here in ASR for the AVR-X3500H. So I'm interested in references to good, technical reviews.

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! I really only need 5.2 channels. The Yamaha CX-A5100 does, indeed, look interesting, though I note a lack of ability to do room EQ below 62 Hz, which is a primary consideration for me. It seems AH measured the CX-A5000 (and that performance looked pretty good), but not the C5100? I guess they have been replaced by the 5200, but it (still?) has problems with high level output on it's main (L&R) XLR ouputs?
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-cx-a5200-mx-a5200/conclusion

He did measured the CX-A5100 as well but embedded the results in the CX-A5200 review. Here it is:

Copied and pasted from https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/yamaha-cx-a5200-mx-a5200/conclusion

I wanted to verify if this problem plagued the CX-A5100 so I measured them side by side before swapping out my old CX-A5100 to review the CX-A5200. I ran identical tests on the CX-A5100 and CX-A5200 to show illustrate the differences in distortion at 2.7Vrms output for XLR and Unbalanced. As a reference, 2.7Vrms is almost the full voltage required for the MX-A5200 to reach max rated power.

1586278985669.png
1586278985669.png

CX-A5100:
Brown: Unbal - 90dB @ 1kHz
Red: Bal -95dB @ 1kHz

CX-A5200:
Purple: Unbal -88dB @ 1kHz
Blue: Bal -72dB @ 1kHz

As you can see there's actually about a 23dB difference in distortion between the CX-A5100 and CX-A5200 at the same drive level and test conditions via the XLR outputs. The difference in distortion between the CX-A5100 and CX-A5200 unbalanced outputs was only 2dB in this comparison.

Yamaha confirmed my measurements and discovered the culprit to this increased distortion had something to do with how the volume control IC interacts with the XLR outputs. This is something they plan to resolve in future models but cannot make a hardware change to this current model.

Performance of the Denon AVR-X8500H is suspect to me, given the poor pre-pro measurements here in ASR for the AVR-X3500H. So I'm interested in references to good, technical reviews.

The AVR-X3500H measurements weren't that poor, it was about the same +/- at below 1.5 V as the AV7705. Amir posted the results for the lower voltage in post#10 in that review, and he noted "1.2 volt is essentially the same. It goes crazy after 1.5 volt (vol = 80). Both him and Gene pointed up the "poor" results at the higher output voltages were due to the effects of the power amp section. The AVR-X8500H has the full preamp mode that disconnected all amp channels. The Denon/Marant AVRs does allow you to disconnect the front left and right channels via the amp assign feature but it is only applicable to models that can process 11 channels. You really can't predict the performance of the flag ship receiver based on the measurements of a $999 (at launch price) receiver either.

Last edited:

JimB

Forum Donor
He did measured the CX-A5100 as well but embedded the results in the CX-A5200 review. Here it is: ... The AVR-X3500H measurements weren't that poor, it was about the same +/- at below 1.5 V as the AV7705. Amir posted the results for the lower voltage in post#10 in that review, and he noted "1.2 volt is essentially the same. It goes crazy after 1.5 volt (vol = 80). Both him and Gene pointed up the "poor" results at the higher output voltages were due to the effects of the power amp section. The AVR-X8500H has the full preamp mode that disconnected all amp channels. The Denon/Marant AVRs does allow you to disconnect the front left and right channels via the amp assign feature but it is only applicable to models that can process 11 channels. You really can't predict the performance of the flag ship receiver based on the measurements of a $999 (at launch price) receiver either.
I appreciate your additional information and I see your points. This would lead me to couple it with a relatively high gain external amp, to avoid excess distortion, and live with higher noise. That is the trade-off I am trying to balance.

Where can I find "Gene's" comments on this preamp output behavior connection to the power amp stages?

I currently have a Denon AVR-X3400X, and a Denon AVR-X6200W. I don't have full "preamp" output performance information on them, so I'm trying to extrapolate a bit from here. Depending on what I can learn, I will want to upgrade (not first choice at this time).

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Is it correct that th CX-5100 can't do eq below 62hz? Is it they just can't do automated eq or it can't even do manual peq below that point?

JimB

Forum Donor
Is it correct that th CX-5100 can't do eq below 62hz? Is it they just can't do automated eq or it can't even do manual peq below that point?
I read that there are 'manual' adjustments that one can make. Others here can likely provide more details and opinions on actual use.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that there are 'manual' adjustments that one can make. Others, here can likely provide more details and opinions on actual use.
Got it. I wonder if you can run YPAO, then copy them over to manual PEQ and add EQ manually below those points. Any idea @peng ? What a strange restriction on YPAO though if that is the case.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where can I find "Gene's" comments on this preamp output behavior connection to the power amp stages?

No problem, here it is:
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8012-receiver/marantz-sr8012-bench-tests

Preamplifier Measurements
The SR8012 is capable of outputting 4.5Vrms unclipped from the multi-ch preamp outputs which is more than 2X voltage drive needed to make most external amplifiers reach full unclipped power.
Editorial Note about Preamp Mode:
I was unable to do a preamp frequency sweep exceeding 1.2Vrms as it tripped the protection circuits since the power amps were still engaged and exceeded full rated power (140 watt/ch, 8 ohms, Av = 29dB). Unfortunately, Marantz doesn't offer a preamp only mode to disconnect the power amp from the circuit if you're using only external amplification. This is something I'd like to see ALL receiver manufacturers offer that include preouts to avoid this very problem I noted. It would also be more energy efficient as well. We will be testing this on receivers going forward and lobbying the manufacturers to include a preamp mode if they already don't. Please note it's unlikely you will ever run into a problem driving external amplification as normal program material doesn't behave like continuous sinusoidal sweeps like what was used on my bench tests.​
At 1Vrms, the FFT of the SR8012 was good but I was surprised at the 3rd order harmonic byproduct that was about 3dB higher than I observed on the Denon AVR-X3300W prior but it was very low at .0018% THD. Still the noise floor (-140dB) of the SR8012 was exceptional as you can see in the FFT below, almost -20dB lower than I measured on the Denon AVR-X3300W.

I currently have a Denon AVR-X3400X, and a Denon AVR-X6200W. I don't have full "preamp" output performance information on them, so I'm trying to extrapolate a bit from here. Depending on what I can learn, I will want to upgrade (not first choice at this time).

You can see that a) while the much more expensive SR8012 is much quieter than your AVR-X3400H, its THD seems no better!
My bet is, the AVR-X8500H will be as quiet as the SR8012 but distortions will be better, at least in preamp mode that the Marantz does not have.

And below is the link to Gene's write up on the amp disconnection (front left and right channels only):
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3600h

You can't do this with your AVR-X3400H but you can do it on models that can process 11 channels. You most likely (not 100% sure) can do that on your AVR-X6200W if you are using external amps to run 7.1.4. I am quite sure (90%) you can't do that with the X6300/6400/6500H and the SR8012 because those have 11 channels of amps already.

Here is the procedure for reassigning the front channels to the height surrounds:
1. Go to AVR`s setup menu
2. Select “Speakers”, enter “Amp Assign”
3. Select “11.1ch” for “Assign Mode” setting
4. Select “Front” for “Preout” setting. The other option is “Height”.

Connect an external 2CH amplifier to the Front L and R preouts, connect the rest of speakers (9.0) to the remaining receiver`s speaker terminals (C, SL, SR, SLB, SRB and 4 height channels) for a full 7.1.4 speaker configuration.

With the AVR-X3600H configured to reroute the main front L/R internal amplifiers, the preamp is physically disconnected from the power amp. This allows the preamp stage full capability of delivering up to 4Vrms unclipped when connected to external amplification as can be seen in the following output vs distortion plot courtesy of Sound United Engineering.

Editorial Note about Front L/R Channels Preamp Disconnect
Front L/R channel preamp disconnect ONLY happens in a 11CH speaker configuration. If you have simply 9.1 channel configuration (5.1.4) or less, and you want to drive front L/R speakers out of external amplifier, or L/R/C, or L/R/C/SL/SR speakers out of external 5 channel amplifiers, internal amplifiers will not be disconnected. There is no selecting or sensing mechanism to allow that unless you activate 11.1 channel Amp Assign mode and select Front L and R for preouts.​

1586290539404.png

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem, here it is:
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/marantz-sr8012-receiver/marantz-sr8012-bench-tests

You can see that a) while the much more expensive SR8012 is much quieter than your AVR-X3400H, its THD seems no better!
My bet is, the AVR-X8500H will be as quiet as the SR8012 but distortions will be better, at least in preamp mode that the Marantz does not have.

And below is the link to Gene's write up on the amp disconnection (front left and right channels only):
https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-avr-x3600h
/
You can't do this with your AVR-X3400H but you can do it on models that can process 11 channels. You most likely (not 100% sure) can do that on your AVR-X6200W if you are using external amps to run 7.1.4. I am quite sure (90%) you can't do that with the X6300/6400/6500H and the SR8012 because those have 11 channels of amps already.

Here is the procedure for reassigning the front channels to the height surrounds:
My guess is the Denon x8500 will better the SR8012 but quite as well in preamp mode as well. What I am interested in is how it compares to the Marantz AV7705 in preamp mode (or if it also produces about the same results as the 8805). If one can get by without balanced connections, it makes it a great value if you want external amps for your front 3 channels for example and use the internal amps for everything else. I'm running it right now with 3 JBL 308p MKII's for L/C/R and DIYSG Volt Coaxials for surrounds/atmos. Enjoying it quite a bit. My plan is to still send in the X8500 for Amir to test but haven't had time to get it sent in yet.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it. I wonder if you can run YPAO, then copy them over to manual PEQ and add EQ manually below those points. Any idea @peng ? What a strange restriction on YPAO though if that is the case.

Yes I read about that too, search and found a thread on this:

https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/yamahas-ypao-and-manual-settings.119586/

As for the PEQ band limit, it does go down to 15 Hz for the newer models including the CX-A5100

https://www.audioholics.com/av-prea...ha-aventage-cx-a5100-preamp-processor-preview

In that reviews, Gene said "The fact that Yamaha now allows the user to manually EQ down to 15Hz is a game changer in helping combat problematic room modes. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't allow you to enter any discrete frequency of your choice, but the options are pretty flexible, and you get 7 bands per channel with full adjustability of Q and level. Once we got the EQ all dialed in, we went back to the main page of the receiver editor app and saved the configuration file. This is yet another very useful feature to be able to store your entire configuration in case down the road you muck things up and want to get back to the last known good configuration. "

I don't own a modern Yamaha AVR/AVC but if Gene said so, I believe him. It is probably in the Owner's manual too, I would think..

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is the Denon x8500 will better the SR8012 but quite as well in preamp mode as well. What I am interested in is how it compares to the Marantz AV7705 in preamp mode (or if it also produces about the same results as the 8805). If one can get by without balanced connections, it makes it a great value if you want external amps for your front 3 channels for example and use the internal amps for everything else. I'm running it right now with 3 JBL 308p MKII's for L/C/R and DIYSG Volt Coaxials for surrounds/atmos. Enjoying it quite a bit. My plan is to still send in the X8500 for Amir to test but haven't had time to get it sent in yet.

It seems clear Denon did not use the slow roll off filter so its preamp/dac performance should be better in terms of accuracy, with digital inputs. For analog inputs, comparing the measurements between the 8500 and 8805 should tell a lot about the merit of the HDAM. I think it will be tough to send it to Amir now if you are willing.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I read about that too, search and found a thread on this:

https://www.hometheatershack.com/threads/yamahas-ypao-and-manual-settings.119586/

As for the PEQ band limit, it does go down to 15 Hz for the newer models including the CX-A5100

https://www.audioholics.com/av-prea...ha-aventage-cx-a5100-preamp-processor-preview

In that reviews, Gene said "The fact that Yamaha now allows the user to manually EQ down to 15Hz is a game changer in helping combat problematic room modes. Unfortunately, Yamaha doesn't allow you to enter any discrete frequency of your choice, but the options are pretty flexible, and you get 7 bands per channel with full adjustability of Q and level. Once we got the EQ all dialed in, we went back to the main page of the receiver editor app and saved the configuration file. This is yet another very useful feature to be able to store your entire configuration in case down the road you muck things up and want to get back to the last known good configuration. "

I don't own a modern Yamaha AVR/AVC but if Gene said so, I believe him. It is probably in the Owner's manual too, I would think..
Thanks for digging that up. I'm not looking to change now, as Audyssey does pretty well with multiple subs below 500hz, But if I did, it would either be a move back to Dirac with Dirac Bass management or something with manual PEQ like the Yamaha.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for digging that up. I'm not looking to change now, as Audyssey does pretty well with multiple subs below 500hz, But if I did, it would either be a move back to Dirac with Dirac Bass management or something with manual PEQ like the Yamaha.

Have you read the following:

https://www.phileweb.com/news/d-av/201801/17/43086_2.html
https://www.denon.jp/ja-jp/blog/3868/index.html#.W9hNzpNKiUm

Not that the AK4490 DACs are 2 channels (better in theory all else being equal) instead of the 8 channel AK4458 in the lower D&M models. So there are 8 pieces of Stereo AK4490 in the X8500H.

Last edited:
Top Bottom