• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem MRX1120 Home Theater AVR Review

ririt

Before I go look, are the DACs the same between the 3700 and the 4700?
DAC is the same AKM model for 3700, 4700 and 6700: the 4458VN. I think this is the same as Anthem. Except the lack of XLR outputs, the full pre amp mode offers you very competive products to associate with external amplifiers with voltage input in the range of 1.5 to 2V.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thank you so much!

I know what I'll be researching after work today :)

Too bad they don't do a pre/pro without the power for less $$.

Before I go look, are the DACs the same between the 3700 and the 4700?

Any other contenders?

Welcome!

Would a used processor be under consideration?

I have an older Integra AVP 80.3, and am happy waiting for someone to get (more of) it right before upgrading.

I have my 4k sources feed the TV, then go ARC out to the processor.

circumstances

DAC is the same AKM model for 3700, 4700 and 6700: the 4458VN. I think this is the same as Anthem. Except the lack of XLR outputs, the full pre amp mode offers you very competive products to associate with external amplifiers with voltage input in the range of 1.5 to 2V.

Here's the specs on my MCA50 amp. I have no idea what the voltage input range is!

https://www.anthemav.com/downloads/MCA_Series_DS.pdf

circumstances

Welcome!

Would a used processor be under consideration?

I have an older Integra AVP 80.3, and am happy waiting for someone to get (more of) it right before upgrading.

I have my 4k sources feed the TV, then go ARC out to the processor.
Thank you!

No, new only.

circumstances

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This guy lists one of the "cons" of the unit is inability to turn off internal amplification when using an external amp for 5 channels.

https://hometheaterpartners.com/denon-avr-x3700h-review/#:~:text=the issue fast.-,Denon AVR X3700H – Sound Quality or Performance,for up to 11 channels.

Isn't preamp mode one of the big perks for me for the 3700? I am thinking he is incorrect on that point (or things have changed since his review).
That link is factually correct. You can turn off all amplification in preamp mode, but that will send 9 channels out. If you are only using 5 external amplifiers, 4 channels will go no-where (because they aren't connected). You can still use it for just 5 channels, but when you set it for just five channels, it won't shut down all the amp channels (so you're wasting electricity), but all will work fine.

ririt

This guy lists one of the "cons" of the unit is inability to turn off internal amplification when using an external amp for 5 channels.

https://hometheaterpartners.com/denon-avr-x3700h-review/#:~:text=the issue fast.-,Denon AVR X3700H – Sound Quality or Performance,for up to 11 channels.

Isn't preamp mode one of the big perks for me for the 3700? I am thinking he is incorrect on that point (or things have changed since his review).
You stated in a previous message than you want to stay with a 5.1. The message you are referring to is wrong if you do not need to combine internal and external power amps. In your set-up, just define the Denon in a full preamp mode ( amp assign menu) and later on, in the menu where you are defining the speakers, you will just declare 5 speakers and a sub. You will get the benefit of having optimal preamp performances of the Denon by connecting it with the 5 channels of your MCA 50 through RCA-RCA cables. Again it is budget wise a perfect fit!

circumstances

That link is factually correct. You can turn off all amplification in preamp mode, but that will send 9 channels out. If you are only using 5 external amplifiers, 4 channels will go no-where (because they aren't connected). You can still use it for just 5 channels, but when you set it for just five channels, it won't shut down all the amp channels (so you're wasting electricity), but all will work fine.
Thanks!

circumstances

You stated in a previous message than you want to stay with a 5.1. The message you are referring to is wrong if you do not need to combine internal and external power amps. In your set-up, just define the Denon in a full preamp mode ( amp assign menu) and later on, in the menu where you are defining the speakers, you will just declare 5 speakers and a sub. You will get the benefit of having optimal preamp performances of the Denon by connecting it with the 5 channels of your MCA 50 through RCA-RCA cables. Again it is budget wise a perfect fit!
Thanks!

Sounds complex, so when I get it I will probably be back here to get that done :)

ririt

Thanks!

Sounds complex, so when I get it I will probably be back here to get that done :)
Do not worry, this is pretty easy ! You should download the 3700 or the 4700 manual and look at the section settings / manual seetings. You will just have to follow instructions.

circumstances

Do not worry, this is pretty easy ! You should download the 3700 or the 4700 manual and look at the section settings / manual seetings. You will just have to follow instructions.
That is very optimistic based on my skill with these sorts of things! lol

circumstances

is there a forum on here where we discuss deals and whatnot? i can't find one and i'd like to know who is selling these things for the lowest price.

circumstances

for USA look at AVS forum. For europe, local forums may be useful. Where are you living?
I live in Florida.

I reviewed the previous deals they were discussing on this unit on AVS forum, and posed a question if they were still valid (and if they expect any Labor Day sales, etc.). No replies yet.

Someone chimed in about Marantz AV7706 coming out in a month or two. Apparently it's a pre/pro version of the SR7015?

Any reason for me to look into that? As a general rule I've had better experiences with Denon than with Marantz over the years.

I'm actually still using (since 2008) a Denon DVD-3800BDCi. It's got 5 channel analog for DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, etc. on blu-ray with my AVM20/MCA50.

Top Bottom