• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM60 Review (AV Processor)

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We are still taking but nothing i can share just yet.
A month has passed, discussing 7-8 AP measurements. Looks more difficult than managing the pandemic.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Just a quick follow up to my post above, not that anyone cares, specs aside the 70 had enough issues that I couldn't deal with it anymore.

So I returned the 70 and went with a Denon AVR A110, performance/operation of the A110 has been flawless.... it sounds as good or better, the remote is much nicer, the UI is better, the remote app works perfect (didn't work at all on the Anthem), the build quality is MUCH better, it has built in amps for surround, you get the idea. Glad I moved on, now I can just enjoy the music and stop trying to fix the anthem.
Just a quick follow up to my post above, not that anyone cares, specs aside the 70 had enough issues that I couldn't deal with it anymore.

So I returned the 70 and went with a Denon AVR A110, performance/operation of the A110 has been flawless.... it sounds as good or better, the remote is much nicer, the UI is better, the remote app works perfect (didn't work at all on the Anthem), the build quality is MUCH better, it has built in amps for surround, you get the idea. Glad I moved on, now I can just enjoy the music and stop trying to fix the anthem.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Only if you believe in alien abductions along with that. :)

This unit was shipped to me on December 28th. I usually review products in 4 to 6 weeks from the time they get to me so here we are. The owner has had it for two years. There is more to it that would bust your theory but I don't want to disclose information without getting his permission first.
Could you please create a post ranking best to worst for AV processors?

JSmith

Master Contributor
Could you please create a post ranking best to worst for AV processors?
The graph is no good?

1615764309430.png

... or the index?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Audio_Equipment_Reviews/

JSmith

Descartes

Major Contributor
Hopefully Anthem AVM90 will be better, I want to do a 9.4.6 without breaking the bank!

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Hopefully Anthem AVM90 will be better, I want to do a 9.4.6 without breaking the bank!
Why not just go ahead and buy the Denon X8500H? $3,000 less than the AVM90 and it includes amplification. I’ll put hard money on it right now that the AVM90 will not measure as well as the Denon.
Amir has already confirmed Audyssey is quite good, so I wouldn’t think ARC is worth $3k to get worse performance, plus the Audyssey app allows you to dial in any room curve you want.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Hmmmmmm.....
"I came into this review expecting Audyssey to not perform. That was my experience and that of formal blind testing of it years back. The out of box results of this "XT32" version was better than I remembered. Still, using the App is mandatory to properly incorporate a target curve with more bass and removal of "BBC dip." Once there, I had no issues with its performance and I think it comes very close to advanced solutions like Dirac and Anthem ARC." --Amir
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir has already confirmed Audyssey is quite good, so I wouldn’t think ARC is worth $3k to get worse performance, plus the Audyssey app allows you to dial in any room curve you want.

I think so too. Matthew has a video that shows Audyssey messed up at some points but I don't know if he used XT or XT32 and with the editor app or not. If I understood right, he measured the "listening window" using some sort of simulator. I don't have his software and more accurate mic but using REW/Umik-1 mic I was able to get 20-120 Hz within less than +/- 1 dB averaging 9 positions with 1/12 smoothing. I could get a little better results for the single MLP position, less than +/- 2 dB even with no smoothing at all. Audyssey was run for all 8 mic positions, and the REW 9 positions for averaging were about 8-10 inches apart from each other up/down and left/right to the center.

Other plots such as waterfall, impulse and others all look pretty good too, so I don't know why other have issues. Even without using the editor/Ratbuddyssey, I could still get within +/- 3 to 4 dB after just one trial without any fine tuning manually (such as sub crawling, phase adjustment, playing with distance etc.).

As shown it was flat, but one can easily customize it further with the App to create the Harman recommended curve that Anthem ARC apparently used for their default target curve.

1615812298188.png

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Judging a Room Eq software on the basis of a FR/target curve graph alone, is a huge misunderstanding/oversimplification.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Judging a Room Eq software on the basis of a FR/target curve graph alone, is a huge misunderstanding/oversimplification.

If you are referring to m post, I did not judge XT32 on the curve I posted alone, definitely not alone, thought I made that clear in my post. As a general statement I agree with you.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know anything about the Antimode box but using XT32/SubEQHT, the App&Rat, and two subs, I am confident you will get very good results. I could get it flat 20-120 Hz within +/- 1.2 to 2 dB with no smoothing, others on my user thread managed to get very good results too. Even average over 6-9 positions, 8 to 10 inches between positions, the curve remained very flat. Once that's achieved it isn't hard to shape it to the individual's preference, using the App/Rat. May be XT is really much less capable?

Is that frequency response measured from Audessey? They smooth it but add some fuzz to the line to make it looks like there is no smoothing from what I understand.

But you're the second person I've had mention using two subs and audessey for very flat bass. I've used 2 subs all over the front wall, and four subs in multiple positions around the room. Used REW to level match and EQ... Everything was audibly worst than just running my Genelecs with their room correction, they just don't go as loud as deep as the woofers.

If you place your subs center front and center rear though, maybe that's the difference. The best sound from a set of four subwoofers was turning the front ones off, and having the rear two right behind the couch.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that frequency response measured from Audessey? They smooth it but add some fuzz to the line to make it looks like there is no smoothing from what I understand.

But you're the second person I've had mention using two subs and audessey for very flat bass. I've used 2 subs all over the front wall, and four subs in multiple positions around the room. Used REW to level match and EQ... Everything was audibly worst than just running my Genelecs with their room correction, they just don't go as loud as deep as the woofers.

If you place your subs center front and center rear though, maybe that's the difference. The best sound from a set of four subwoofers was turning the front ones off, and having the rear two right behind the couch.

If you are referring to the graphs I posted, they were measured with REW and Umik-1 mic with the mic in 9 different positions spaced about 10 inches to each other in the up, down, left, right (relative to the main mic position) directions and then use REW's averaging feature.

The results shown is a little worse than if not averaged, because after a Audyssey run, if you then measure the actual FR with REW, you will typically get the smoothest response by placing the mic in the MLP, that is, the same position as the first Audyssey mic position.

I don't listen to that flat looking curve either, I posted that one because I used it as my baseline, from there I would try a few customized ones and pick from them for actual use.

The FR shown by Audyssey, Anthem or Dirac Live are of course only their projected frequency response. The ones I posted were "actual". Hope that's clear.

As far as sounding worse, or better after REQ, it could just be your preference that is subjective. With the curve flattened, you then have the option to customize the target curve or curves and then pick the one you get the best audible result. According to the some studies, such as Harman's most people don't prefer the "flat curve". That is regardless of which REQ you use.

Last edited:

Oniiz86

I love the thought and nostalgia factor of the A110 yet I can’t justify the price over an 8500 (which I am purchasing for many of the reasons you’d listed above). Simply out of curiosity why did you choose the 110 over the 8500? Aside from the two speaker presets I can’t see any features that would convince me it is worth the extra money. That combined with any step up in performance probably not being audible quickly caused me to switch my interest to the 8500. Hopefully you’ll send yours to Amir for testing. Thanks.

Sent PM, sorry this is off topic.

I don't believe the A110 has dual speaker presets, I think it is identical to the X8500H's core functionality missing out a few of the features present with the 2019/20 models like Bluetooth headphones transmission but the Bluetooth version has been upgraded to 4.2 like the 2020 models.

tparm

Forum Donor
I don't believe the A110 has dual speaker presets, I think it is identical to the X8500H's core functionality missing out a few of the features present with the 2019/20 models like Bluetooth headphones transmission but the Bluetooth version has been upgraded to 4.2 like the 2020 models.
I believe you are correct. I have an A110 arriving today, dang it I made an assumption it had the '2020" features.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I am sort of dumbfounded there hasn't been any additional shareable correspondence between Amir and Anthem.
You will love the a110. I got it in late December to use as just a prepro. It is working trouble free.

Top Bottom