• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM60 Review (AV Processor)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would say "soon" but nothing more specific than that. These products take an entire day to review and document so not a quick test.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I would say "soon" but nothing more specific than that. These products take an entire day to review and document so not a quick test.

Looking forward to an objective scientifically driven review, I hope it performs as well as the Denon AVR-A110 or AVR-X8500H!

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I share your disappointment. However, ASR should also have been much more proactive about getting another sample of used Anthem equipment, and samples of Anthem's new line. If you're going to open a can of worms by testing used equipment and discovering odd results then be a genuine enthusiast resource and test other samples - from sources other than Anthem - and let's get down to results we can actually draw conclusions from.
One of the reasons I trust ASR is because they source most of the products from non-manufacturers, much like Consumer Reports (which did find golden samples in some of the instances when they asked manufacturers for products they couldn’t locate at retailers). And just like CR, ASR doesn’t have any obligation to the manufacturers, yet if a power supply is blown would Amir test it? No, but CR would take a car that doesn’t start, get it fixed at the dealer and continue the test. Is one more ethical than the other or are both simply doing the best under the circumstances of getting fair, unbiased information to their readers?

Admittedly, CR only tests new products, but cars really do have moving parts that change significantly with use, electronics do not. I would think Amir could determine if a bad cap exists based on testing, plus in this specific case, it just came from Anthem service.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I share your disappointment. However, ASR should also have been much more proactive about getting another sample of used Anthem equipment, and samples of Anthem's new line. If you're going to open a can of worms by testing used equipment and discovering odd results then be a genuine enthusiast resource and test other samples - from sources other than Anthem - and let's get down to results we can actually draw conclusions from. Otherwise, this whole 'controversy' seems like the hair-pulling of over-wrought high school girls.

On the other hand I thought ASR provided a great service review such a used unit that the owners had just got it checked by Anthem, the manufacturer. Other benches typically, if not always, review and measure brand new gear, but for products at this level, owners likely bought them for "sound quality (at least in theory, on paper etc..)" that they expect to be superior compared to lower priced processors and AVRs, so it is important to see what could happen to a relatively expensive product after a repair, refurbishment, or just check up by the original manufacturer. That would be a good indication of the level/quality of after sale support.

bigguyca

Looking forward to an objective scientifically driven review, I hope it performs as well as the Denon AVR-A110 or AVR-X8500H!

Do you have lab measurements for the AVR-A110?

The AVR-X8500H was measured here on ASR. The AVR-A110 has a different digital board, that is the top board in the unit with the HDMI connections, and other changes, so specific measurements of an A110 would best before declaring that the A110 has good performance.

bigguyca

I share your disappointment. However, ASR should also have been much more proactive about getting another sample of used Anthem equipment, and samples of Anthem's new line. If you're going to open a can of worms by testing used equipment and discovering odd results then be a genuine enthusiast resource and test other samples - from sources other than Anthem - and let's get down to results we can actually draw conclusions from. Otherwise, this whole 'controversy' seems like the hair-pulling of over-wrought high school girls.

Did you offer to send a sample of an AVM60 or AVM70 for measurement? Most of the equipment that ASR tests comes from members.

If you for some reason can't send a unit then you could offer to pay the shipping costs one or both ways for another member.

Descartes

Major Contributor

The AVR-X8500H was measured here on ASR. The AVR-A110 has a different digital board, that is the top board in the unit with the HDMI connections, and other changes, so specific measurements of an A110 would best before declaring that the A110 has good performance.

I would assume that the AVR-A110 measure better than the 8500

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would assume that the AVR-A110 measure better than the 8500
It could but after following this site for a while, you can't assume anything it seems. For example, I would have assumed the amps would measure better in the x8500 vs the x3600/x3700... but simply not the case despite the the "mono block design". Hopefully someone will send one in some day to see.

Descartes

Major Contributor
It could but after following this site for a while, you can't assume anything it seems. For example, I would have assumed the amps would measure better in the x8500 vs the x3600/x3700... but simply not the case despite the the "mono block design". Hopefully someone will send one in some day to see.

Very true, unfortunately it seems quality is variable and not reliable from one model to the next!

tparm

Forum Donor

I have an A110, I won't be boxing it up and sending it anytime soon. It isn't just a matter of how it measures, there is enough data on Denon AVRs here to satisfy my curiosity. Better components were used, I've heard up to 120 pieces are different from the 8500, that will help the longevity of the product. Does it measure better, or sound better, than an 8500? Who knows, it should. Sounds damn good to me. Does it measure better than 98% of the other AVRs and processors on here? Highly likely. But I believe that is missing the point. It was my Arcam 850 that was measured here some time ago so of course I am curious. However, boxed up this thing weighs 59 pounds and isn't easily replaced if something weird would happen in its journey form the coast to coast and back.

However, I am really curious how my 1989 Pioneer VSX-4500S measures. :D In all seriousness, this isn't to discourage anyone from sending things to Amir for measuring, I could tell great care was taken in repacking and shipping my 850 back. When I begin to break down my system for my move in July I may consider providing my A110 for measurement if it hasn't been done by then.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an A110, I won't be boxing it up and sending it anytime soon. It isn't just a matter of how it measures, there is enough data on Denon AVRs here to satisfy my curiosity. Better components were used, I've heard up to 120 pieces are different from the 8500, that will help the longevity of the product. Does it measure better, or sound better, than an 8500? Who knows, it should. Sounds damn good to me. Does it measure better than 98% of the other AVRs and processors on here? Highly likely. But I believe that is missing the point. It was my Arcam 850 that was measured here some time ago so of course I am curious. However, boxed up this thing weighs 59 pounds and isn't easily replaced if something weird would happen in its journey form the coast to coast and back.

However, I am really curious how my 1989 Pioneer VSX-4500S measures. :D In all seriousness, this isn't to discourage anyone from sending things to Amir for measuring, I could tell great care was taken in repacking and shipping my 850 back. When I begin to break down my system for my move in July I may consider providing my A110 for measurement if it hasn't been done by then.
Thanks for sending in your Arcam. It takes quite a bit of effort to disconnect, pack, ship, and be without a unit for a chunk of time. I've sent in 4-5 different units 3 of them being in the receiver/pre/integrated category (X8500/XMC-1/Lyngdorf 3400). Enjoy your A110... one of the things I like about it is I believe it is a 5 year warranty, correct?

tparm

Forum Donor
Thanks for sending in your Arcam. It takes quite a bit of effort to disconnect, pack, ship, and be without a unit for a chunk of time. I've sent in 4-5 different units 3 of them being in the receiver/pre/integrated category (X8500/XMC-1/Lyngdorf 3400). Enjoy your A110... one of the things I like about it is I believe it is a 5 year warranty, correct?
That is correct. And well done on your contributions here.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
Guessing the while retest the 60 and test the 70 thing fell apart at some level.
I'm planning on shipping him an JBL Studio 590 to review. We're corresponding on it but he's so full with stuff to test I'm holding off on sending it until he has more room. So there's a good chance he's just super busy right now

tparm

Forum Donor
I'm planning on shipping him an JBL Studio 590 to review. We're corresponding on it but he's so full with stuff to test I'm holding off on sending it until he has more room. So there's a good chance he's just super busy right now
He said he had both a 60 and a 70 over a month ago. Doesn't seem like back log.

tparm

Forum Donor
I can't think of many busy people that have a whole day spare... maybe have some patience in this case.

JSmith
My patience ran out long ago when I bought my A110. I enjoy reading reviews on all gear. According to other forums the AVM 70 is still a disaster, leads me to believe Amir has found similar results. Without any correspondence what else is one to conclude?

danzilla31

Forum Donor
My patience ran out long ago when I bought my A110. I enjoy reading reviews on all gear. According to other forums the AVM 70 is still a disaster, leads me to believe Amir has found similar results. Without any correspondence what else is one to conclude?
One thing I can say Amir runs a very great site I know I have benefited greatly from the site and forums. Very transperant very fact based driven by the science. I just really enjoy the way Amir does things his competency and his sincere desire to do right by us members. I mean who else tests things at the level he does?
Based off of that respect I feel for him I'm just going to wait until he comes out and says something. Until then I don't want to speculate and that's based on the trust he's earned. If he says he's back logged I believe him.
Not saying you cant be right though. You very well could be. That's just how I'm going to look at it that's all

danzilla31

Forum Donor
By the way sounds like your really enjoying that A110 congratulations. Maybe this has turned out to be a blessing in disguise for you

Top Bottom