• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM 90 Audio Video Preamp/Processor

• Thread starter Deleted member 43441
  • Start date

Descartes

Major Contributor
DTS X is already there. It is DTS X Pro that is missing and has been removed from the spec so may never come.

Auro 3D was never part of the spec.
Yes sorry, I meant DTS X Pro! Has anyone taken it apart yet to see what is inside! Hopefully Amir will get it on the bench soon!

freedomgli

What catches my attention beyond the reproduction quality of the processor is that it has essentially all the connections I need: HDMI 2.1 and in spades, chromecast (I use it for tune in, since I listen to a loooot of radio), phono stage and balanced inputs.
I know your post is old, but I wanted to clarify for any other readers: neither the AVM 70 nor the AVM 90 have balanced analog inputs. They only have balanced analog outputs.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yes sorry, I meant DTS X Pro! Has anyone taken it apart yet to see what is inside! Hopefully Amir will get it on the bench soon!
Still asking, Amir any possibility that it will be on your bench any time soon?

hwest

From the Anthem website;

ANTHEM – PURE PERFORMANCE, PURE VALUE
Since the AVM 50 and Statement D2 A/V Processors, music lovers and home theater enthusiasts have coveted Anthem’s premium surround separates. Featuring industry-leading room correction, expert management of the latest audio formats and robust integration; Anthem is the ultimate nerve center of any premium home theater or media room.

The AVM 90 is our new flagship A/V Processor with upgraded audio circuitry, 4 independent subwoofer outputs and an excellent 32-bit DAC's with 768kHz sampling capability. It represents Anthem’s ultimate expression of audio performance.

Object-oriented audio codecs have been updated with support for up to 15.4 channels; as well as built-in streaming support for Apple AirPlay2, Google Chromecast, Bluetooth, Spotify Connect and Roon (coming soon).
Video support includes 7 HDMI 2.0 inputs with 2 outputs, plus eARC for seamless integration with smart TVs. Perfect passthrough of Ultra HD signals at up to 18.2 Gbps with Dolby Vision, HDR or Hybrid Log Gamma ensures optimal presentation of your visual media.
Why is the THD so high compared to some other systems on the Athem 90 AVM? Should I be concerned about this 0.1% compared to some other units at 0.005%?

Mick Seymour

Why is the THD so high compared to some other systems on the Athem 90 AVM? Should I be concerned about this 0.1% compared to some other units at 0.005%?
I believe the spec says < 0.1% THD. Less than could be any figure up to but not including 0.1%.

hwest

I believe the spec says < 0.1% THD. Less than could be any figure up to but not including 0.1%.
Yes, it seems that they are giving that 0.1% at 10mV so technically it's much lower which is good. The full spec is here: AVM 90 19 Channel (15.4) A/V Pre-Amplifier/Processor PreaMPliFier cHannels Maximum Output (<0.1% THD)10.7 VRMS, Subwoofer 11 VRMS Frequency Response20 Hz — 35 kHz (+/-0.2dB) Frequency Response, Analog-Direct20 Hz — 80 kHz (+0, -2 dB) THD+N (4 Vrms output) * † -100 dB S/N Ratio (4 Vrms output, IEC-A filter) 115 dB XLR ConfigurationPin 1: Ground, Pin 2: Positive, Pin 3: Negative POWer cOnsuMPtiOn

hwest

Yes, it seems that they are giving that 0.1% at 10mV so technically it's much lower which is good. The full spec is here: AVM 90 19 Channel (15.4) A/V Pre-Amplifier/Processor PreaMPliFier cHannels Maximum Output (<0.1% THD)10.7 VRMS, Subwoofer 11 VRMS Frequency Response20 Hz — 35 kHz (+/-0.2dB) Frequency Response, Analog-Direct20 Hz — 80 kHz (+0, -2 dB) THD+N (4 Vrms output) * † -100 dB S/N Ratio (4 Vrms output, IEC-A filter) 115 dB XLR ConfigurationPin 1: Ground, Pin 2: Positive, Pin 3: Negative POWer cOnsuMPtiOn
I'm really starting to like everything about this AV preprocessor, it has all the features and I understand the ARC Genesis room correction is very good. It could be my next PreProcessor.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
The only thing that concerns me about Anthem as a possibility are comments to the effect of their Room Correction neutering Bass output to some extent.

I’m very interested in hearing more about if this is a real issue or not.

hwest

The only thing that concerns me about Anthem as a possibility are comments to the effect of their Room Correction neutering Bass output to some extent.

They give you pretty good control of 4 independent subs so I think that's a good thing. If I get the until I'll REW it and let you know what I find.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They give you pretty good control of 4 independent subs so I think that's a good thing. If I get the until I'll REW it and let you know what I find.

I can't wait! I wish more people had "rew it". Have you ever thought about why so few people did? Try find me some, please.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It’s not an issue for me. You can specify the target curve including room gain, slope, and decide if you want to run your fronts full range or not. So it has the tune ability. I generally just adjust my subwoofer levels up one or two notches if I want a bit more. I think the real question, as others have said, is how good it is at actually hitting its target curve.

Which I think all the major room correction solutions are unclear about as they don’t perform a second corrected measurement to provide their report.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not an issue for me. You can specify the target curve including room gain, slope, and decide if you want to run your fronts full range or not. So it has the tune ability. I generally just adjust my subwoofer levels up one or two notches if I want a bit more. I think the real question, as others have said, is how good it is at actually hitting its target curve.

Which I think all the major room correction solutions are unclear about as they don’t perform a second corrected measurement to provide their report.

I think that's what some users who listened objectively, and/or actually "REWed" the FR have experienced as @ryanosaur might be alluding to.. That is, with all the hype about the product, it too would neuter the bass (after claiming they wouldn't do in their marketing material), so some users, including me, have to do some manual tweaks to get the bass response to their satisfaction. In my case, I don't even need the Harman curve tilt to be happy, and would be happy to have it "flat", but ARCG always resulted in a suck out in the 20 to 50 Hz range, that even Audyssey default would not do.

So to me, even people who are used to Audyssey XT32/SubEQHT's notorious flat bass, might end up finding ARCG's bass lacking, if they just run it without tweaking. That may just be my speakers/rooms, but I doubt that because nothing has changed since I acquired the AVM, prior to that I have used both Audyssey and Dirac, and in another room too, and never experience a suck out in that range, in fact not even with Audyssey/Dirac turned off.

After tweaking the target curve (or possibly just raise the sub level in some cases, but you have to know how to do it) as you mentioned, I am happy with the result so it isn't really an issue but in terms of bass, I do feel ARCG is grossly overrated, I have my theory on why this is but that's just my theory so I wouldn't want to start something controversial. I do intend to write more about my experience with the AVM, and specifically about ARCG, but need to find some time to it, as I anticipate it would be time assuming to do in such a way that it would not appear to be bias, or misleading. Overall, they are good products, especially the AVM90, that might well be the best preamp/dac ever existed, in terms of theoretical sound quality in direct/pure direct mode, whether that would make it audibly different than other comparable products such as the AV10 or even the AVM70 or not.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Thanks @peng ! Yes, that is exactly what I was referencing re: bass neutering. Understanding why people are (or might be) experiencing it and best practice for fixing it would be nice.
Perhaps it wouldn’t even be a problem… but your account isn’t the only time I’ve heard this said.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @peng ! Yes, that is exactly what I was referencing re: bass neutering. Understanding why people are (or might be) experiencing it and best practice for fixing it would be nice.
Perhaps it wouldn’t even be a problem… but your account isn’t the only time I’ve heard this said.

As I said I plan on writing something about the AVM70/ARCG and I am going to include links to those who reported similar bass related issues. It absolutely is not an issue for all intents and purposes, only the "overrated" part, and that is just my opinion, based on having reading 90% nice reviews on it including some professional reviewers. Other than that, I also feel the 90 is over priced, relative to the 70.

On money no object basis, the AVM90 (or may be the AV10) would still be my choice at the moment because then I would feel I have the best lol.. I opted for the AVM70 in the end, because while I know the AVM90 is superior I don't need 4 independent sub outs. I could not hear the "better sound quality" from the 90 in the dealer's demo room (the dealer staffs said they did, but...) anyway. If I did, I would have taken the 90 home instead.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Indeed.
I'm not updating until later this year at the earliest. *fingers crossed It will be a processor and I am currently favoring the AV10. I don't want to spend that much, but it is looking like it will be unavoidable. Considering the price of the AV10, the AVM90 and other processors in that range are thus within consideration. Absolute minimum I want is 13.3... though if I had the additional Subwoofer output, may well find a way to use it!

Frankly, I am still holding out hope that Monolith will get their act together and get the HTP-1 back on the market. At their current pace, however, HDMI 2.5 will have been released and Mono-Mono will still be considering whether they upgrade to 2.1... :facepalm:

;)

I do eagerly anticipate reading your thoughts on the Anthem when you get to it!

hwest

I think that's what some users who listened objectively, and/or actually "REWed" the FR have experienced as @ryanosaur might be alluding to.. That is, with all the hype about the product, it too would neuter the bass (after claiming they wouldn't do in their marketing material), so some users, including me, have to do some manual tweaks to get the bass response to their satisfaction. In my case, I don't even need the Harman curve tilt to be happy, and would be happy to have it "flat", but ARCG always resulted in a suck out in the 20 to 50 Hz range, that even Audyssey default would not do.

So to me, even people who are used to Audyssey XT32/SubEQHT's notorious flat bass, might end up finding ARCG's bass lacking, if they just run it without tweaking. That may just be my speakers/rooms, but I doubt that because nothing has changed since I acquired the AVM, prior to that I have used both Audyssey and Dirac, and in another room too, and never experience a suck out in that range, in fact not even with Audyssey/Dirac turned off.

After tweaking the target curve (or possibly just raise the sub level in some cases, but you have to know how to do it) as you mentioned, I am happy with the result so it isn't really an issue but in terms of bass, I do feel ARCG is grossly overrated, I have my theory on why this is but that's just my theory so I wouldn't want to start something controversial. I do intend to write more about my experience with the AVM, and specifically about ARCG, but need to find some time to it, as I anticipate it would be time assuming to do in such a way that it would not appear to be bias, or misleading. Overall, they are good products, especially the AVM90, that might well be the best preamp/dac ever existed, in terms of theoretical sound quality in direct/pure direct mode, whether that would make it audibly different than other comparable products such as the AV10 or even the AVM70 or not.
That's a critical base zone so I would definitely manually tweak that as well. I'm torn, there is the Lyndorf MP-60 2.1 that I really like but it's about double the price with Room Perfect which is really good, and the ultimate Trinnov but I would spend years tweaking it if I had access to all of those features so that's out of the question not to mention the cost. I guess you have to pick your poison, I do know that there isn't a Marantz receiver out there that would satisfy me, of that I'm certain. Continuing my research for now.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a critical base zone so I would definitely manually tweak that as well. I'm torn, there is the Lyndorf MP-60 2.1 that I really like but it's about double the price with Room Perfect which is really good, and the ultimate Trinnov but I would spend years tweaking it if I had access to all of those features so that's out of the question not to mention the cost. I guess you have to pick your poison, I do know that there isn't a Marantz receiver out there that would satisfy me, of that I'm certain. Continuing my research for now.
What is missing in the Marantz AV10 that you need?

hwest

What is missing in the Marantz AV10 that you need?
Sound that sounds alive, meaning clarity separation and a good strong range that is noticeable. It's hard for folks to know that if they haven't heard the difference, what I'm saying is the higher end sound can be found in this price range, you don't necessarily have to settle for flat sound so I'm looking for that great combination that will get me 100K sound for much much less.

Top Bottom