• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir at your door for random ASR system evaluation

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s a 7.4.4 Dolby Atmos system based on self-powered JBL LSR305s, JBL 305P MKIIs and 4 subs, all DSPed within an inch of their lives, in a room with WAY more acoustical treatment than Amir would likely deem necessary. His brow would likely furrow at the Pioneer AVR used for switching and Dolby processing in the way it compromises the entire proceedings on the bench and on paper, at least, but overall I think he’d find the sound “okay,” better than average, yet definitely not state-of-the-art. And he‘d get no argument from me. Oh, and I’m half Louisiana French Creole, so we’d have a fine meal.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think he'd tell me to get subwoofers and DSP. And that I need to learn how to cook.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'd be prepped with Wicked Pies and liquid refreshments. Also demo the 12-string via a micro cube.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My mother is Austrian with an Italian father, she was taught American cooking by my father's mother who was of Irish background & was from Appalachia. My wife is Chinese. The cooking around here is pretty good, although it is sometimes eclectic. Home made Austrian style eggnog is a mainstay around Christmas (uses 190 grain alcohol), along with home made Austrian style cookies & other things that you might find in a fine European pastry/cake shop. The property is on a deep water creek with miles of creeks, marshes & small islands behind it. View of the city of Chas about 5 miles away across the harbor. Nature abounds. fish, porpoises, birds (cardinals, eagles, hawks, pelicans & more), racoons, deer etc. Photo opportunities abound. Stereo=a long term slow work in progress of mostly 70's through 90's vintage equipment (bought new over the years & being restored, refurbished & resto-modded (as seems appropriate) but some modern stuff (oppo 205 UDP, BlueTooth APTx [yes, I know that there is better now & one day will upgrade that] connection from the living room to an upstairs computer).

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
In that case, I will fire up the grill, put on some "world famous Sheboygan bratwurst". Serve beer from 3 Sheeps micro brewery. As for picture taking, Sheboygan is called Malibu of the Midwest for surfing and parasailing on Lake Michigan. Lastly, your help on tweaking my Eq would be apprecited.

Ken1951

If it were last night he could have dined on: Rainbow trout with herb butter (Irish butter with own grown basil and tarragon and lemon zest); oven-roasted potatoes made with homemade garlic oil, own grown rosemary and thyme; asparagus with balsamic vinaigrette, lemon and parmesan. Served with a French sparkling Rose from the Burgundy region. Earlier in the day he could have done some nice photography on a hike to the Cascades just a few miles from the house or around the very beautiful campus of Va Tech. Oh, and for dessert, a delicious chocolate Charlotte cake from a wonderful local bakery. I don't think he would have cared that I don't have any EQ really on the Signatures. :D

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I came to your house, first it would be for good food. And second, where to go to take some nice pictures! Examining your audio system would rank pretty low....

If you came to my house we would be off on a foodie's tour of Houston.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I came to your house, first it would be for good food. And second, where to go to take some nice pictures! Examining your audio system would rank pretty low....
But we would want you to listen for a bit and give us your unbiased opinion. We're human and want to know we're "on the right track" with our audio adventure.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Lol, after he picked his jaw up off the floor, he'd shake his head at my hodgepodge of a system and leave!

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
M106 and NC400, I think he would approve. That would be the only thing he would approve though, because I'm a terrible cook.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
He would approve of my desktop headphone rig, and I can make some Jagerschnitzel, or Chicken Makhani, two of my favorite dishes.
Then I would offer him a beer, and he could laugh at my surround set up.

OP
S

stumper3819

Forum Donor
But we would want you to listen for a bit and give us your unbiased opinion. We're human and want to know we're "on the right track" with our audio adventure.
EXACTLY! A validation of sorts, showing that the knowledge he and the membership has shared has been put to good use.
Message to Amir: have you ever heard the saying "no such thing as a free lunch" Hehehehe

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm safe. I had put him on an international watch list. He'll get stopped by Australian Border Force and put on the next plane back home. ;)

David Harper

The thing to do would be to blindfold him first and have him listen to your system. Now that would be an interesting result.

Top Bottom