• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music For Testing Bass

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
For bass extension? For super low? Bach, toccata and fugue in d minor. Because 16hz. And lots of bass at one time.

For bass quality, anything with a stand up bass works for me. I've heard a lot of those live.

Lowest frequency on a double bass, standard tuning, c.41hz. For a 5 or 6 string bass guitar it’s 31hz.

Apparently.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
For bass extension? For super low? Bach, toccata and fugue in d minor. Because 16hz. And lots of bass at one time.

For bass quality, anything with a stand up bass works for me. I've heard a lot of those live.
Love the stand up at the start, and the whole track sounds great.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
This is just a fantastic orchestral recording, love the low end of the room. And Yo-Yo Ma playing for John Williams.

Look how close the mic is to the cello, you won't get this sound with the "audiophile " 1 stereo pair for the entire orchestra technique.

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
And Toko drums, again from John Williams and Yo-Yo Ma, plus Itzhak Perlman.
This whole album sounds fantastic. John knows where to record! WARNING the drums come in hot, this is dynamic.

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this will work for testing bass:

Interesting track with bass singer!

I quickly extracted the audio into 24 bit 48 kHz stereo AIFF format, and analyzed by ADOBE Audition 3.0.1 and MusicScope 2.1.0.
I feel a little bit regretful finding the dynamic range is rather saturated in this YouTube video clip...
WS00007054.JPG

WS00007055.JPG

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I quickly extracted the audio into 24 bit 48 kHz stereo AIFF format, and analyzed by ADOBE Audition 3.0.1 and MusicScope 2.1.0.
I feel a little bit regretful finding the dynamic range is rather saturated in this YouTube video clip...
View attachment 358801

View attachment 358802

I had my 7hz x Zero:2 IEMs in when I listened to the song. It sounded great on them. Really impressed with them for $24.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

View attachment 358801

View attachment 358802

How do you extract audio from a Youtube clip for analysis?

I am quite keen to extract audio from Tidal for analysis, but I am not sure how to do it.

boxerfan88

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you extract audio from a Youtube clip for analysis?

I am quite keen to extract audio from Tidal for analysis, but I am not sure how to do it.

Edit:
After loading the mkv video track (please PM me for the details) into JRiver MC's video folder, I use JRiver MC's "Tools - Advanced Tools - Convert Format... - [Check] Convert video to audio - [Select] AIFF Encoder - [push] Convert".

Last edited:

Digital_Thor

It almost sounded like my main door was being knocked on :D at the intro of Kari Bremnes - Svarta Bjørn - Byssan Lull.
This was at moderate volume. Sounds heavy, dead and dry, with a clear realism to the weight of the coherence of the sub+woofer+midrange and tweeter.

I also like most tracks from, for example Nora Jones - Lonestar, where I hear a full nearness of her voice, together with a weighty rhythm of the music instruments - while never being boomy or lacking spaciousness. There's actually some very deep bass in this track, adding to my preference to always aim for big and well integrated multi-sub systems. The sensation of that non-boomy spaciousness in a lot of music, really add to the complete experience from music that could otherwise simply be a nice voice and "bling-ding" harmonics.

Fugees- The Score is a nice classic for me too. It should be heavy, deep and tight, while the vocals are not masked or obscured by any boominess.

Digital_Thor

Here are a few for you (youtube versions don't sound as good):

A classic demo track:

Heard "Soothing" by Laura Marling the first time in a Danley Sound demo on YouTube. Was quite surprised to hear the normal version, because it is so much more "dry". The big room sound of a theater really adds "room" No wonder people often get into debates when trying to compare live and home listening experiences - or just different rooms in general :D

By the way.... check out her music video of the same track... it's... expressive ;)

KMSA

Carmen Gomes Inc. have created an album that sounds like an imaginary road movie.
Listening one perceives Robert walking late at night, en route in the Mississippi Delta, reflecting back on his life.
The low A, 27.5 khz, from the bowed down tuned double bass representing the Mississippi night, the drums creating the sounds surrounding the night and the guitar being Robert’s mind.
More than playing parts, guitarist Folker Tettero and drummer Bert are playing moods. I actually asked Bert to play the lyrics instead of the drums, a task I knew especially he would be able to fulfill.
a2904498016_16.jpg
https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/al...-a-sound-liaison-one-mic-audiophile-recording

Dr Morbius

Anybody ever listen to “Mysterious Island” composed by the inimitable Bernard Herrmann from the movie and conducted by William Stromberg with a twice the size orchestra. That’s my pick for a great stereo system test!

Top Bottom