• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

Synergy4

May I ask a neophyte question? This doesn't replace a Roon core, correct? I am looking into a NUC ROCK box for core that would be placed next to my Denon x3700h and connected via HDMI so I can run via Roon Remote on my phone. I still don't quite understand what the Allo is used for if one already has a core box connected to their audio system. Thanks.
The benefit of the Allo Boss2, one can use the Boss2 WiFI and Boss2 built in DAC next to your receiver and have the Roon NUC ROCK box for the computer in another room.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask a neophyte question? This doesn't replace a Roon core, correct? I am looking into a NUC ROCK box for core that would be placed next to my Denon x3700h and connected via HDMI so I can run via Roon Remote on my phone. I still don't quite understand what the Allo is used for if one already has a core box connected to their audio system. Thanks.
The boss will run an os such as volumio, moode etc. They all have different features but in essence they all stream from the various services, provide airplay and dlna locally, play directly from ssd and with moode and others provide a roon end point. If you are going to run roon rock, if it’s on a quiet computer you may as well plug it straight into your dac IMO. That said the boss as an endpoint with a roon rock on the same lan is a good setup too.

Synergy4

Well I finally found some old (2016), but useful information of USB flash drives memory power requirements here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1016...mption-measurement-using-plugables-usbctkey/3

It appears that at least one Flash drive (Mushkin Atom 128GB) has a Peak Power of less than 1 W (5V 200mA).

Any 5V USB power supply chosen for the Allo Boss2 should have good transient response and low output impedance (with plenty of capacitive energy storage) for external drive memory power transients. It would be nice if a 5V 3A USB power supply would be enough to drive the Rasp-Pi, USB flash external drive and USB WiFi dongle.

The Allo Nirvana supply is only rated at 5V 2.85A.

The Samsung 1TB SSD needs about 2.7W peak power (540mA). It would appear that a 5V 4A USB power supply would be a better choice for the Allo Boss2 with an external 1TB SSD.

Attachments

• pow_seq_q32t1.png
    pow_seq_q32t1.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 109
  • pow_idle.png
    pow_idle.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 114

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well I finally found some old (2016), but useful information of USB flash drives memory power requirements here: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1016...mption-measurement-using-plugables-usbctkey/3

It appears that at least one Flash drive (Mushkin Atom 128GB) has a Peak Power of less than 1 W (5V 200mA).

Any 5V USB power supply chosen for the Allo Boss2 should have good transient response and low output impedance (with plenty of capacitive energy storage) for external drive memory power transients. It would be nice if a 5V 3A USB power supply would be enough to drive the Rasp-Pi, USB flash external drive and USB WiFi dongle.

The Allo Nirvana supply is only rated at 5V 2.85A.

The Samsung 1TB SSD needs about 2.7W peak power (540mA). It would appear that a 5V 4A USB power supply would be a better choice for the Allo Boss2 with an external 1TB SSD.
I investigating a the use of external 2.5/3.5 case for a friend as these cases generally have an external PSU. Here's some examples:
Case 1 Amazon, Case 2 Amazon

Transmaniacon

So I currently have an Apple Airport Express that I stream to from my iPhone using Airplay2. I would like to get around the audio limitations of Airplay and take advantage of hi-res audio from Quobuz for example. If I purchased this streamer, could I stream to it from my iPhone without using Airplay? Further, I assume I could also stream from a windows desktop PC with the Quoboz desktop application?

kchap

Forum Donor
One would need a supply that does not add noise through the rest of the system, due to ground noise leakage issue.
I'm not discounting the possibility of noise and earth loops from USB PSUs but I've have not had an issue.

I did purchase the Allo Boss2 player after reading Amir's rec. I have it hooked up via RCA to preamp and then to power amp. I use it as a Roon endpoint. I like the performance. Is there any other product from Allo that 'bests' it? I am using Nirvana PS,would upgrading to Shanti PS have any sonic benefits? If yes, what benefits might they be? Any other elaboration would be appreciated.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did purchase the Allo Boss2 player after reading Amir's rec. I have it hooked up via RCA to preamp and then to power amp. I use it as a Roon endpoint. I like the performance. Is there any other product from Allo that 'bests' it? I am using Nirvana PS,would upgrading to Shanti PS have any sonic benefits? If yes, what benefits might they be? Any other elaboration would be appreciated.
The Boss2 works great. You won't hear a difference between the Nirvana PS or the Shanti. If it's working well for you, I would mark that setup as job done. The only issue I had with my Boss2 was the wifi range with the blue aluminum case top on. Once I installed the Comfast CF-912AC dual-band WiFi adapter the issue was resolved. If you are using an ethernet connection this won't apply to your Boss2 setup.

Marii

I used the old Allo Boss 1.2 with raspberry pi 4b and moode audio. I checked all combinations, volumio vs. Moode vs. Picoreplayer. The big advantage with moode: you can power of the raspberry pi and you get never an interupted sd card... Starts fine every day...and on my system result with the best sound.

Now i switched to new Allo BossDac2 with the same raspberry pi 4 and moode audio.
It is a big update, sounds now even clear and very good balanced. Now on a good Hifi equipment you can hear the air, channel separation is wonderfull... very clear, no harsh digital sound...
The correct power supply is very importend to get the best out of it.
I used a ultra low noise super power supply with two r-core supplied with two S11 regulated circuits.

For example this one with a different circuit:

Allo has done a very nice update in this price range. Perfect. I tested a lot of DACs, price range up to 1000€, but this is perfect!!!

Last edited:

acetogen

So I currently have an Apple Airport Express that I stream to from my iPhone using Airplay2. I would like to get around the audio limitations of Airplay and take advantage of hi-res audio from Quobuz for example. If I purchased this streamer, could I stream to it from my iPhone without using Airplay? Further, I assume I could also stream from a windows desktop PC with the Quoboz desktop application?
I do have an Audioengine B1 (not bluetooth) that works with Airplay2. I also have a Chromecast Audio which can receive the signal directly from Tidal, Spotify (which I no longer use) and other apps (Qobuz?) that can also be installed on iPhones and iPads. The Chromecast works seamless from an Android phone. I bought it ~3 years ago for $50 and they are running about twice that much these days. Also the raspberry pi with volumio can be used as endpoint from a PC since its interface is a web browser.

craig

Anyone able to get DSD from Roon to work? Mine shows it's receiving DSD but's no sound. Also, what filter settings are you using?
I have tried moode, ropieee, and volumio; none will play DSD over PCM over roonbridge. Convert DSD to PCM works but not what I want. Did you have any success?

kchap

Forum Donor
I have tried moode, ropieee, and volumio; none will play DSD over PCM over roonbridge. Convert DSD to PCM works but not what I want. Did you have any success?
Not sure if it's possible. This might help: Roon DSD

I understand the problem for people who an existing collection but I do find it hard to understand why it's still popular; just convert to PCM.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you see this price? Thanks.

This isn't a bad Boss2 deal at $176

Nirvana PS can be added for $55. Comfast CF-912AC Dual Band Wifi adapter can be added for $15. I can't buy them for that price anywhere. I tried to buy the CF-912AC at Newegg but they canceled the order after 10 days. :D

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I used the old Allo Boss 1.2 with raspberry pi 4b and moode audio. I checked all combinations, volumio vs. Moode vs. Picoreplayer. The big advantage with moode: you can power of the raspberry pi and you get never an interupted sd card... Starts fine every day...and on my system result with the best sound.

Now i switched to new Allo BossDac2 with the same raspberry pi 4 and moode audio.
It is a big update, sounds now even clear and very good balanced. Now on a good Hifi equipment you can hear the air, channel separation is wonderfull... very clear, no harsh digital sound...
The correct power supply is very importend to get the best out of it.
I used a ultra low noise super power supply with two r-core supplied with two S11 regulated circuits.

For example this one with a different circuit:

Allo has done a very nice update in this price range. Perfect. I tested a lot of DACs, price range up to 1000€, but this is perfect!!!

Is that one enough if I want to use it for a bedroom setup with a headphone amp to stream Qobuz?

Gaspar74

quick question. I have a RPI4 and Allo Boss2 Ive been running with a linear supply powering the Boss2 and A Better power supply for the Pi4. I have two outputs on this linear supply and its 5v out of both with no more than 3.85A draw for two powered devices. I was considering running the PI and thre Boss off this supply. Is the total amp draw of both below the 3.85amp? I tihnk the Premade Boss2 with metal enclosure they sell states 2.8Amps power supply but not sure. Anyone help? Its thins power supply I own.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
quick question. I have a RPI4 and Allo Boss2 Ive been running with a linear supply powering the Boss2 and A Better power supply for the Pi4. I have two outputs on this linear supply and its 5v out of both with no more than 3.85A draw for two powered devices. I was considering running the PI and thre Boss off this supply. Is the total amp draw of both below the 3.85amp? I tihnk the Premade Boss2 with metal enclosure they sell states 2.8Amps power supply but not sure. Anyone help? Its thins power supply I own.

I think that PS is a waste of money as you won't hear any difference from it versus an $8 PS. But in answer to your question I would not power more than one device with it. https://www.pishop.us/product/usb-c-power-supply-5-1v-3-0a-black-ul-listed/

Top Bottom