• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

Gaspar74

I have a power supply like you listed. I am currently powering the Boss2 with the Linear power supply and the RPI4 with a supply like you showed. My question was if I can power both with this linear supply. It states that you can if load is 3.8 amp or less total. On a side note. I can confirm that I did indeed hear a difference running the Boss 2 seperate with the linear supply vs not using it. Deeper bass and whiter background. Maybe it’s my imagination but I did.

amper42

Major Contributor
I have a power supply like you listed. I am currently powering the Boss2 with the Linear power supply and the RPI4 with a supply like you showed. My question was if I can power both with this linear supply. It states that you can if load is 3.8 amp or less total. On a side note. I can confirm that I did indeed hear a difference running the Boss 2 seperate with the linear supply vs not using it. Deeper bass and whiter background. Maybe it’s my imagination but I did.

There are different quality low price RPi4 power adapters. If you use the 5.1v USB-C power supply sold by PiShop (listed below) and A/B test the two in a controlled blind test I would be surprised if many people can reliably identify which PS is in use 70% of the time. I could not with my Revel F328Be speakers. Maybe your ears can without a sighted test? Either way, if you like it use the 8x more expensive PS.

The other factor is an RPi4 board alone requires less power than Boss2 as it does not require a DAC HAT/wifi dongle. That difference makes it even less likely an RPi4 board alone can be reliably identified in a blind test. You could use the less expensive PS on the RPi4 board if you would like to test that theory.

https://www.pishop.us/product/usb-c-power-supply-5-1v-3-0a-black-ul-listed/

Last edited:

Gaspar74

Is there any way to modify the LCD display of the Allo Boss2? Someow have it display the track or anything like that?

Gaspar74

What advantages would this product give me over my Chromecast Audio?
The Chromecast audio only does up to 96khz I belive instead of 192. If that matters to you. It is also a hands down far better dac than the little chip in the CHromecast. I did have the CHromecast audio in the beginning. I kinda wish I still had one. quick cheap easy way to get audio. I now use two Raspberry Pi with Dac hats as my Roon endpoints.

CATARRO

Greetings from Montenegro to all forum members!
I am considering purchasing a streamer based on the Raspberry Pi platform. My question is did anyone make a direct comparison between AlloBoss2 and NanoSound ONE Player. it would be used primarily for streaming from the Qobuz or Tydal platform, on the AVR Marantz NR1504, and in the future I might include a stereo amplifier. What would be the pros and cons against each other?

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a Nanosound ONE and a couple of RPi4 in Argon ONE cases connected to external USB DACs. I do not own the Allo Boss2. I have not seen an objective review i.e. measurements, of the Nanosound ONE but I struggle pick any difference between the Nanaosound ONE and my USB DACs.

Based my experience, I doubt that you will detect any differences between the Nanosound ONE and the Allo Boss2 but, the Allo Boss2 probably does have the better noise and distortion figures. I say "probably" because of the lack of an objective review of the Nanosound ONE.

The Argon40 manufactured cases, the Nanosound ONE and the Argon ONE, run cooler than the Allo Boss2 because the cases are in thermal contact with the CPU and GPU. The Argon ONE case does have a fan but it rarely switches on and it could be disabled.

I prefer the Argon ONE connected to an external DAC; so many DACs to choose from.

Smitty2k1

Has anyone gotten a Boss2 (acrylic) working with RPi3? Says the case isn't compatible but wondering if a little Dremel couldn't fix that. RPI4 sold out everywhere and I've got a RPi3 on hand already.

rost21A

I took the BOSS2 out of the acrylic case and installed it in my existing case. My BOSS2 runs fantastic with an RPI2.
I don't need the small display, so I mounted it inside the case. Maybe it will be useful later...

MyBOSS2_01.jpg

Last edited:

ShazMatazz

Everytime I make changes to the filter settings on the Allo Boss 2 player via the toggle switch and the unit display, the new settings are lost and the old settings appear with every new start. It's quite frustrating to make changes to the settings everytime.
Does anyone have an idea how we can save the filter settings without having to log into the software.
Cheers

SanjeevM

I'm using RPi3B+ with a Katana dac and Shanti psu. Will there be an improvement in SQ if Katana is replaced with Boss2 ?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @johan

Allo have been quiet the past 12+ months. COVID impacted I would guess? And parts shortage.

I hope the team are all ok.

Can you share some details what we can expect this year?

Any new networked DACs? RPi4/CM4 based?

Taki8888

Hi,

Please help me better understand some of this.

I have been using IQ Audio DAC hat/rpi4/Moode
in the past. I connect USB SSD directly to the rpi4 and playback from there. I do not stream.

1. Is playback directly from USB, sound quality worst, better or same as streaming?

2. Would I hear significant improvement in sound quality with Boss 2 vs. IQ Audio or subtle differences?

Sound Quality wise, how does DAC hat/rpi combo compare to something like SMSL SU-8
DAC?

I see the SMSL still requires PC to playback,
which I would use the rpi4 and USB SSD.

Would this be better than others DAC’s I mentioned? DENON DNP-800NE

Thanks!

kchap

Forum Donor
Hi,

Please help me better understand some of this.

I have been using IQ Audio DAC hat/rpi4/Moode
in the past. I connect USB SSD directly to the rpi4 and playback from there. I do not stream.

1. Is playback directly from USB, sound quality worst, better or same as streaming?
It's the type of data not the method of delivery. Assuming there is enough bandwidth and no excessive variation in latency, a streamed MP3 recording will sound the same as a local file. Likewise a streamed 96/24 FLAC file will sound the same as a local file.

2. Would I hear significant improvement in sound quality with Boss 2 vs. IQ Audio or subtle differences?
I'm not prepared to say you will hear a dramatic difference but the Allo Boss 2 performed a lot better than the IQaudio Pi-DAC Pro.

Sound Quality wise, how does DAC hat/rpi combo compare to something like SMSL SU-8
DAC?

I see the SMSL still requires PC to playback,
which I would use the rpi4 and USB SSD.

Would this be better than others DAC’s I mentioned? DENON DNP-800NE

Thanks!
I think the better value for money DACS than the SMSL SU-8. It was good in a few years ago but things have moved on. The SMSL SU-8 should work with a Rpi, it uses the XMOS USB chip set.

Personally I would ditch the HAT. A Rpi and current USB DAC will give excellent sound quality; SQ is more to do with DAC than the computer. I know nothing about the Denon. Has it a better UI or can it play back a greater range of sources than MOode? I have no idea.

Taki8888

It's the type of data not the method of delivery. Assuming there is enough bandwidth and no excessive variation in latency, a streamed MP3 recording will sound the same as a local file. Likewise a streamed 96/24 FLAC file will sound the same as a local file.

I'm not prepared to say you will hear a dramatic difference but the Allo Boss 2 performed a lot better than the IQaudio Pi-DAC Pro.

I think the better value for money DACS than the SMSL SU-8. It was good in a few years ago but things have moved on. The SMSL SU-8 should work with a Rpi, it uses the XMOS USB chip set.

Personally I would ditch the HAT. A Rpi and current USB DAC will give excellent sound quality; SQ is more to do with DAC than the computer. I know nothing about the Denon. Has it a better UI or can it play back a greater range of sources than MOode? I have no idea.
Hi,

I appreciate the reply.

I ended up ordering the Denon. I found out it can play directly from USB storage but slow to navigate. Since it only ethernet and optical,
I ordered the Hifiberry Digi2 Pro Hat which has optical out to try.

I agree with you, just like for video, if source is low quality, it cannot get much better regardless of gear.

Do know of any sites that allow you to hear sample and buy just one song title instead of the entire album, that is ‘high res’ audio?
Supposely those sound better than my CD’s ripped to FLAC?

Cheers

kchap

Forum Donor
Hi,

I appreciate the reply.
Do know of any sites that allow you to hear sample and buy just one song title instead of the entire album, that is ‘high res’ audio?

Cheers
I tend to rip my own CD's but I have bought a few albums on Bandcamp. I notice that sometimes you get the option to purchase individual tracks.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I appreciate the reply.

I ended up ordering the Denon. I found out it can play directly from USB storage but slow to navigate. Since it only ethernet and optical,
I ordered the Hifiberry Digi2 Pro Hat which has optical out to try.

I agree with you, just like for video, if source is low quality, it cannot get much better regardless of gear.

Cheers
You are very unlikely to be able to hear the difference between CD/Flac and "hi res" audio, if the mastering is the same.

rost21A

Ich habe von Allo BOSs 1.2 auf Allo BOSS2 aktualisiert.
Ich bin begeistert von der Leistung des BOSS2. Für mich ist BOSS2 definitiv eine höhere DAC-Klasse als der BOSS 1.2, und der BOSS 1.2 ist auch kein schlechtes Gehäuse.
Allos Beschreibungen von BOSS2 sind keine leeren Slogans ...

Top Bottom