• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

starfly

Forum Donor
Does this DAC support hardware volume control? I.e. will the DAC hardware chip correctly resample the audio when changing the volume so that there is no discernible quality loss compared to software volume control where the PCM stream is resampled by Moode or Volumio before it reaches the DAC?

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I use the 2 gig version. For audio only I believe even 1 gig is fine so 4 is probably not needed
Good because I didn’t know there were different gig levels nail after I bought the 2 gig version.

BTW, if anyone is in the market it’s way less expensive to buy from a vendor here (Pi Shop in my case) than directly from Allo.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good because I didn’t know there were different gig levels nail after I bought the 2 gig version.

BTW, if anyone is in the market it’s way less expensive to buy from a vendor here (Pi Shop in my case) than directly from Allo.
I found that out as well. Too late in my case.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Can one use any quality dual band wifi dongle with this setup with no performance degradation i.e. do I have to buy theirs?

thanks for a prompt reply

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can one use any quality dual band wifi dongle with this setup with no performance degradation i.e. do I have to buy theirs?

thanks for a prompt reply

I would buy the wifi dongle from Allo. Most are not compatible with RPi4. The Comfast CF-912AC dual-band WiFi adapter is the one you want if you want to avoid issues. See the Moode install directions. They verify this.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I would buy the wifi dongle from Allo. Most are not compatible with RPi4. The Comfast CF-912AC dual-band WiFi adapter is the one you want if you want to avoid issues. See the Moode install directions. They verify this.

Thanks so much for your help.

If anyone is interested Newegg.com caries these for less than half the price as Allo and reasonable shipping. I think all in it was about $20 vs the $44 Allo wanted.

rafacq

Quick question, does it matter the RPi 4 is 2 or 4 gigs?
When I ordered my first Boss2 they were out of the 2GB so I bought the 4GB. Since I was very happy with the Boss2 I ordered a second one and this time they had the 2GB. Both units work fine. Save the money and buy the 2GB. You’ll be happy.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Can I plug this directly into a power amp? I can control the volume with the remote I think. Is there a way to make sure the volume is at zero before trying this, so I don't damage my speakers?

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can I plug this directly into a power amp? I can control the volume with the remote I think. Is there a way to make sure the volume is at zero before trying this, so I don't damage my speakers?

I prefer to plug the Boss2 into a preamp or a receiver and use it's volume control, while leaving the Moode volume set to 93. However, you can control the Moode software via wifi by logging into the Boss2 IP address with a browser and set the volume. With the browser you can see the volume level before starting music playback and change it as needed.

The Boss2 remote is less functional as it offers limited range and does not show the current volume level unlike the Moode software.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Running Spotify through the renderer and sometimes I get pretty good pop when I switch tracks. Nirvana powered and earth switch is in the on position.

Any thoughts on how I might make that stop?

Redheart

A note for Allo developers :)
when using Ropieee with allo boss2, in Roon there is like a faint clicking noise when pressing the play button on the remote iPad or android device.
i guess some coding is missing to eradicate the interference noise. I have that noise with no other Roon endpoint.

otherwise very happy with the sound quality using the regular PSU. Maybe will try the upgraded PSU down the line.

My setup is Audeze LCD3 (2020) with Headphone tube amp Lafigaro 339 with telefunken 6080 power tube and telefunken ef86 red tip.
for best detailed natural sound I use :
high voltage enabled
phase compensation disabled but I’m on the fence. I will test further.
high pass disabled
de emphasis disabled
no overSampling enabled
filter rolloff fast

Synergy4

Question about Boss2 power.

The manual says the Boss2 requires 5V 3A, but the Nirvana supply is only rated at 5V 2.85A. What is the real power requirement?

The reason for dual power supply connection is not explained in the manual, but I assume splitting the supplies allows one to power the RaspPi through USB-C connector & the DAC through the small round connection with a separate power supply. Does this really improve the SNR or sound quality?

If using an external SSD, one would also need to add supply current to power the SSD. How would the connections be made if the USB-C is limited to 3A and the RaspPi requires 3A? According to the manual, apparently the DAC section requires 250mA, but according to the product web page it requires 100mA?

What is the maximum current allowed into the small round connection 5V input, if using only one supply.

Attachments

• Dual.JPG
    Dual.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Single.JPG
    Single.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question about Boss2 power.

The manual says the Boss2 requires 5V 3A, but the Nirvana supply is only rated at 5V 2.85A. That is the real power requirement?

The reason for dual power supply connection is not explained in the manual, but I assume splitting the supplies allows one to power the RaspPi through USB-C connector & the DAC through the small round connection with a separate power supply. Does this really improve the SNR or sound quality?

If using an external SSD, one would also need to add supply current to power the SSD. How would the connections be made if the USB-C is limited to 3A and the RaspPi requires 3A? According to the manual, apparently the DAC section requires 250mA, but according to the product web page it requires 100mA?

What is the maximum current allowed into the small round connection 5V input, if using only one supply.

You should send this question to Allo for a definite answer, but for what its worth my Boss2 uses a single Nirvana power supply and it works great, There is no SNR or sound quality issue. It is also powering the USB wifi stick in the USB3 port. No issues.

However, there may be a logistical issue if you will require wifi connectivity. The Boss2 aluminum case greatly reduces RPi4 on board wifi range. I didn't have ethernet nearby so I had to remove the blue Boss2 Aluminum cover OR install the USB3 Comfast CF-912AC dual-band WiFi adapter. That stick is a bit wide and may make it difficult to plug in a USB SSD? It's something you will need to look at when you start filling the ports. If you have the right combination it may work but know its tight. Connecting via ethernet would offer more room for a USB3 mounted SSD drive and it should have its own power if its bigger than a small thumb drive.

From what I experience the Nirvana power supply handles everything fabulously without the need for additional power requirements.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You do not. These streamers are used in "push mode." In a player like Roon, I use my own player and just "beam" the audio to this streamer next to the audio system. Your interface is in side Roon. The device basically makes your DAC work on Ethernet/Wifi cable instead of USB.
May I ask a neophyte question? This doesn't replace a Roon core, correct? I am looking into a NUC ROCK box for core that would be placed next to my Denon x3700h and connected via HDMI so I can run via Roon Remote on my phone. I still don't quite understand what the Allo is used for if one already has a core box connected to their audio system. Thanks.

Synergy4

" install the USB3 Comfast CF-912AC dual-band WiFi adapter. That stick is a bit wide and may make it difficult to plug in a USB SSD? It's something you will need to look at when you start filling the ports. If you have the right combination it may work but know its tight. Connecting via ethernet would offer more room for a USB3 mounted SSD drive and it should have its own power if its bigger than a small thumb drive."
One does not want to add noise or ground loops, so one must be careful about using an external powered SSD

The external SSD could run off a 5V ~ 1A-1.5A reasonable isolated supply. The DAC needs 250mA 5V very quiet supply. The Rasp-Pi needs 5V ~ 3A supply reasonable quiet isolated supply. A very clean isolated 5V 5A supply should work fine all the sections.

For the WIFI one could use a short USB extension cable to give more space around the USB port.

Top Bottom