• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All About UFO's

harleydave

... and it would be extremely arrogant of me to deny the possibility that there is a teapot orbiting the sun between the Earth and Mars. Is this not true?

The possibility of life existing somewhere else and the probability of intelligent life chivvying us are two entirely different concepts. I agree that we should keep an open mind, but not so open that our brains fall out.

Jim
It's exactly like people having faith in God and the bible, by the way, I don't knock it. But there is no scientific tangible evidence that that's true and not just some fairy tale written to set a morale code for humanity, and the fear of dying and being nothing after that they created this story. Just because you can't touch, feel, or see something doesn't mean it's there, or not there.

D

Deleted member 21219

Just because you can't touch, feel, or see something doesn't mean it's there, or not there.

True ... like cosmic radiation and ultrasound. My point, however, was the difference between possibility and probability as applied to the observation of what seems to be, on the surface, extraterrestrial interaction.

Inaccurate assessment of both possibilities and probabilities can elevate issues to the level wherein possibilities seem to support reality at the expense of probabilities. That is a form of fallacious thinking.

And yes, I agree that fallacies have had an enormous impact throughout human history, and continue to do so. I see that as undeniable.

Jim

harleydave

If, there are Aliens, I wonder if we should really be seeking them out. I kind of agree with Stephen Hawking who's thought was it might be a bad idea. Making contact if they're out there has a 50/50 shot of going south if they happen to be not so friendly.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
... and it would be extremely arrogant of me to deny the possibility that there is a teapot orbiting the sun between the Earth and Mars. Is this not true?

The possibility of life existing somewhere else and the probability of intelligent life chivvying us are two entirely different concepts. I agree that we should keep an open mind, but not so open that our brains fall out.

Jim
...Too Late :confused:

Toni71

Forum Donor
Sometimes, I have the feeling my in-laws are aliens. Such rather strange actions and behaviour. Only one explanation occurs to me now, they have control over their mind and body! Of course, I am carefully. Next thing you know and they beam us up.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21219

If they start their explanation with "It's simple...", they aren't an expert. If they won't explain because they are too busy writing proposals - they're an expert.

I understand what you're saying, but I look at it differently.

The people who I have met in my life who were true-blue experts were happy to answer a question and explain a concept. To them, knowledge was a rare gem that they had discovered, and they wanted to share its beauty with everyone else.

The people who didn't have the time to explain something usually didn't understand it themselves.

Jim

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Cleanup in the UFO aisle.

Let's get back on topic please.

JSmith

Master Contributor
So are they meant to be sunglasses that guy is wearing? :D

enemy-movie-explained-1.jpg

JSmith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So are they meant to be sunglasses that guy is wearing? :D

enemy-movie-explained-1.jpg
No, they only sort of look like it. In reality, though, they are super special UFO debunking devices. They are very secret high-tech military stuff. They only look like sunglasses because otherwise, they would stand out too much :cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
...Atoms existed even though we didn't know or have proof. Science is constantly learning and evolving on a daily basis. Just because at this present time we don't know something doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

I see that there's been some pruning of this thread, and I am sure it was for the best -- so I offer this with some trepidation (but also with a wink).
Verbiage such as is quoted above, while absolutely true, is (ahem, could become) fuel for the audiophilic snake oilers. ;)

In some seriousness, in the context of scientific inquiry, everything we believe represents models of reality. The models are rational, helpful, useful, and predictive. Until they aren't (cf. the ultraviolet catastrophe -- or even the orbit of the planet Mercury).

oceansize

Forum Donor

Pentagon ex-UFO chief says conspiracy theorists in government drive spending

Conspiracy theorists working for and within the US government are perpetuating myths about UFOs that millions of taxpayer dollars are then spent looking into, a “self-licking ice cream cone”, according to the Pentagon’s former chief investigator of unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP).

Sean Kirkpatrick made the claim in a podcast this week after stepping down last month as the first director of the defense department’s all-domain anomaly resolution office (Aaro). It was set up in 2022 to collate military reports of UAP sightings and to be more transparent about what the government knows.

Aaro’s first comprehensive historical record report, which has been submitted to Congress and is set for publication later this year, contains no evidence of the existence of alien life, or any government cover-up, Kirkpatrick says.
The cover-up continues. :rolleyes::)

More at link above

vert

Forum Donor
It's hard to see clearly with the amounts of smoke being blown up the public's collective rear ends with that particular topic. It's rather peplexing that up to the New York Times series of 2019 you were a "conspiracy theorist" if you believed remotely in UFOs, but now it's become mainstream and a cool thing to believe in. To me that's a big red herring. I like the description above of a “self-licking ice cream cone”. It's interesting that there has been almost zero interest in Europe, where, I guess, the public hasn't watched nearly as much Star Trek and Star Wars, including from the European media which on any other subject, increasingly simply copy and paste the US media narratives du jour. So insofar as there have been hundreds of recorded UFO sightings and a proportion of those is necessarily legit, I do understand the interest; but I have little patience for it personally. The one correlative aspect I'm really curious about is alternative propulsion tech.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The one correlative aspect I'm really curious about is alternative propulsion tech.
Indeed.
I'm wonderin' whether it's green.

Maybe back when we called 'em little green men we were on to something -- and didn't even realize it.
:cool:

Top Bottom