• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All About UFO's

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Uh huh

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I gotta say, when I'm tired late at night, I don't mind watching programs about paranormal & UFO's, not that I believe in them really, just I find thinking about & looking at the individuals involved interesting on some kind of psychological/social level (maybe in terms of what's up with these people or making my own assessments) & somewhat strangely comforting. I did have a couple of paranormal experiences as a teenager & kid but I'm more on the fence about it now......but for some reason I find these types of programs strangely comforting programs to chill out to or fall asleep to!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think with the size and quantity of solar systems and such that it's obvious that aliens will exist. Whether they are friendly or not remainds to be be seem Stephen Hawking warned against them though and that causes me concern.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think with the size and quantity of solar systems and such that it's obvious that aliens will exist. Whether they are friendly or not remainds to be be seem Stephen Hawking warned against them though and that causes me concern.
And also the fact that the distances involved mean that communication and travel is not currently feasibly possible due to the distance being measured in large numbers of light years (hundreds & thousands of light yrs etc). So any kind of alien contact would likely have to involve faster than light travel/communication, ie some kind of space/time travel manipulation beyond what we currently know - wormhole stuff right or warp drive (changing the fabric of space & time) - vague I know because this is not my area, but my understanding is that these are the physical distance variables that will need to be overcome to enable any communication & travel between theoretical intelligent/civilised beings in our surrounding universe. Probability is that "someone" is out there but you can't communicate with them or go there because of the immense distance (even at light speed) - (and you don't know where they are so you can't travel to them beyond lightspeed even if you could).

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Metabunk is the ASR equivalent in the UFO world, for those interested.
(It's true there's a whole lotta shit on these paranormal & UFO programs, I'd say all of it almost beyond doubt (so much shit!), but I somehow enjoy thinking about the individuals & working out what I think about it.)

Chester

(It's true there's a whole lotta shit on these paranormal & UFO programs, I'd say all of it almost beyond doubt (so much shit!), but I somehow enjoy thinking about the individuals & working out what I think about it.)

Yeah agree, I still watch the shite, it’s easy viewing.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah agree, I still watch the shite, it’s easy viewing.
lol, what's wrong with us!

(I think I subconsciously like "the internet" in terms of I enjoy sifting out bollocks and making my own viewpoint of whatever I'm looking into, so maybe that's part of it.)

Last edited:

Chester

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm look at the state of your disciples when you don’t post speaker reviews. :D

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Civilisations probably don't live long enough to explore galaxies for thousands of years or more? Plus when you're talking about radio transmissions (speed of light) taking thousands or more multiples thereof to traverse to other intelligent life (even if such weak signals are retrievable - I doubt) then they will not know we are here. Even if they develop self-replicating "sensor bots" to fly around looking for life then if they are limited by light speed communication we could still be talking about thousands of years or multiples thereof - therefore civilisations that initiate this kind of endeavour need to be viable for over thousands of years (etc), because it's not only the travel of bots it's the travel of the communications and then the travel of the beings or the travel of the communication response (all of which could be thousands or more light years away etc) - so the only way is to break the light speed barrier in terms of communication or travel - that's the way I understand it. And that seems like science fiction currently - I really don't know if it's in the realms of future possibility.

oceansize

Forum Donor
Civilisations probably don't live long enough to explore galaxies for thousands of years or more? Plus when you're talking about radio transmissions (speed of light) taking thousands or more multiples thereof to traverse to other intelligent life (even if such weak signals are retrievable - I doubt) then they will not know we are here. Even if they develop self-replicating "sensor bots" to fly around looking for life then if they are limited by light speed communication we could still be talking about thousands of years or multiples thereof - therefore civilisations that initiate this kind of endeavour need to be viable for over thousands of years (etc), because it's not only the travel of bots it's the travel of the communications and then the travel of the beings or the travel of the communication response (all of which could be thousands or more light years away etc) - so the only way is to break the light speed barrier in terms of communication or travel - that's the way I understand it. And that seems like science fiction currently - I really don't know if it's in the realms of future possibility.
The universe is approx 14 billion years old. That is a lot of time for things to happen. Our star (The Sun) has been around for only about a third of the life of the universe - lots of stars have been and gone in that time.

From the linked (earlier) article -

The Fermi paradox can be asked in two ways. The first is, "Why are no aliens or their artifacts found on Earth, or in the Solar System?". If interstellar travel is possible, even the "slow" kind nearly within the reach of Earth technology, then it would only take from 5 million to 50 million years to colonize the galaxy. This is relatively brief on a geological scale, let alone a cosmological one.
Edit: my bolding of a point.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might as well drop this here too.

(That's too many paragraphs of potential bollocks to sift through, I don't mind zoning out to TV mindlessness, but actively reading expected nonsense in terms of multiple long pages or paragraphs is too much to take, so I'll just take it as bollocks). :D (which I'm sure you intended! :))

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom