• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A70 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 163 49.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 118 36.0%

• Total voters

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be interesting to see what this would do with balanced to SE cables hooked up instead of SE -> SE input.

howard416

I wonder if they'll sell this without the power supply. I have a 48 VDC unit that I could hook up.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I wonder if they'll sell this without the power supply. I have a 48 VDC unit that I could hook up.

As far as we know = no

ampguy

No load dependency is great, but the distortion rise above 1kHz is troubling for me. I’ll stick with the PA5 and A300 for class d for now. The latter doesn’t measure as well, and has no xlr, but has better bass mgmt and sounds great.

Also, re measuring the A300 at 25db instead of 29db, may boost the measurements of the A300.

Last edited:

howard416

No load dependency is great, but the distortion rise above 1kHz is troubling for me. I’ll stick with the PA5 and A300 for class d for now. The latter doesn’t measure as well, and has no xlr, but has better bass mgmt and sounds great.
Interestingly, the A70 has better higher-frequency sweeps than the PA7 Plus, although the latter has slightly better multi-tone IMD performance. I strongly doubt you would be able to hear any difference between the A70 and the PA5, and possibly even the A300 when thrown into the mix. Except for noise, of course.

375HP2482

Something you can do to ease that worry is buy a fire resistant pouch that is commonly used for charging lithium ion batteries.

I always recommend this for any kind of power brick.View attachment 355181
I don't see the wisdom of wrapping a blanket around an encapsulated power supply that relies on ambient convection cooling.

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sorry Sir, but for me your question sounds like the old audiophiles songs.

There is no value added by "hi hend audiophile caps" justifying ultra high prices bs. Look at the DACs today, excellent measurements and no bs about specific high end components.

For the amps, Topping was near the sun but silly burnt themselves encapsulating few components believing it will protect their knowledge.
Slightly different angle, but I believe higher quality/spec components may benefit the reliability & durability of the amp (but not so much the performances…).
Is it always worth the premium impact on the BOM, I don’t know.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO priced too close to the PA5 II.

If you ask me, I don't think TI places a high priority at squeezing every drop out of their amplifier chips. Most of them are sold for active speakers where the drivers themselves dwarfs the chips in distortion and any load dependency is gonna be fixed as part of a complete product anyway.

Agree, especially RE load dependency in an active speaker: by definition the high-frequency driver being used with the amp in such an application is known, so I would imagine that as long as you pick a driver whose impedance is steady from about 5k upwards, it would be a simple matter to correct for any load dependancy-based FR nonlinearities using DSP or even just a simple PEQ shelf. I would guess this is especially true since in the audible range most of the impedance-based FR peaks or slopes we see with these amps are usually about 1.5dB or less.

natna

Don't understand the custom fees issue... Why bother with making yourself an importer? Just buy to a local seller and you are done... Will also benefit with waranty rights that global piratry will always negate ..:)
Because, apart from Amazon, there are only 1-2 EU dealers. Almost fixed prices, no sales, no Black/Cyber days, no coupons, no stock clearances, etc...
I like the warranty and the customer support they offer. I personally buy from them. But they don't offer free shipping to my country.
I truly understand the people that take a chance and import it themselves if they're on a budget.

Now, considering the A70, I'm disappointed. It's obvious that they rushed things and cut corners. Maybe competition with Fosi?
RCA performance is a no-go for me. Even XLR one is just good enough. Perhaps something with the input signal routing or PSU filtering...
I'm going to buy a good D class amp till Summer...
I hope the competition can give a decent PFFB XLR amp at 200 euros final price in EU.
I'm not listening at high volume. My bookself speakers are 90db sensitive so wattage is not a real issue. I'm interested in the cleanest possible performance and channel separation.
So far, the PA5 II seems to be the logical choice for me...

@amirm thank you for your hard work and coping with our ... temperament!

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Voted “fine” although if price were a consideration for me, I would have voted “great.” As is, it has excellent performance but is shy of the SOTA. But again, great price.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't see the wisdom of wrapping a blanket around an encapsulated power supply that relies on ambient convection cooling.
I use them for power bricks that are always on, no issues so far. Admittedly it likely lowers the lifespan for things that generate a lot of heat. To be honest though the power brick I have that creates the most heat is the one with my HP laptop, and that one has no ventilation anyway so if it's good enough for that to not have ventilation then don't see the problem. Plus, these things are air tight, it's a balance really between fire safety or longevity. Personally I'd rather replace a power brick than the entire contents of my home.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid with that kind of thing,but I prefer to play it safe. I also replace phone charging cables etc as soon as the bit by connector shows any signs of wear. Those USB cables once damaged can be an easy source of potential ignition.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
has no ventilation anyway so if it's good enough for that to not have ventilation then don't see the problem. Plus, these things are air tight
Air tight is not the factor in the cooling of these devices. The cooling is occurring by radiating the heat and not by air flowing/convection. I ask you to please enable air easy access to the devices and you will be served well that way. The life expectancy of devices is lowered by like 70% or something like that for every 10C rise in temperature.

Last edited:

howard416

I use them for power bricks that are always on, no issues so far. Admittedly it likely lowers the lifespan for things that generate a lot of heat. To be honest though the power brick I have that creates the most heat is the one with my HP laptop, and that one has no ventilation anyway so if it's good enough for that to not have ventilation then don't see the problem. Plus, these things are air tight, it's a balance really between fire safety or longevity. Personally I'd rather replace a power brick than the entire contents of my home.

Maybe I'm a bit paranoid with that kind of thing,but I prefer to play it safe. I also replace phone charging cables etc as soon as the bit by connector shows any signs of wear. Those USB cables once damaged can be an easy source of potential ignition.
What if you start a fire because something was wrapped up and couldn't cool down?

howard416

Because, apart from Amazon, there are only 1-2 EU dealers. Almost fixed prices, no sales, no Black/Cyber days, no coupons, no stock clearances, etc...
I like the warranty and the customer support they offer. I personally buy from them. But they don't offer free shipping to my country.
I truly understand the people that take a chance and import it themselves if they're on a budget.

Now, considering the A70, I'm disappointed. It's obvious that they rushed things and cut corners. Maybe competition with Fosi?
RCA performance is a no-go for me. Even XLR one is just good enough. Perhaps something with the input signal routing or PSU filtering...
I'm going to buy a good D class amp till Summer...
I hope the competition can give a decent PFFB XLR amp at 200 euros final price in EU.
I'm not listening at high volume. My bookself speakers are 90db sensitive so wattage is not a real issue. I'm interested in the cleanest possible performance and channel separation.
So far, the PA5 II seems to be the logical choice for me...

@amirm thank you for your hard work and coping with our ... temperament!
Yeah, you could get a PA5 II, but I'll laugh when you try to return it.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ask yourself why Aiyima asked Amir not to test the 48/5A that they ship to him ?

In the other thread where this is being discussed, @AIYIMA:GUO responds directly:

In fact, the 48V5A power supply also allows Amir to test the machine. At least we have developed 48V5A and 48V10A GAN power supplies for this project. Our colleague also sent Amir a 48V5A and asked Amir to help test the performance of the 48V5A.

(Direct link to that post in the other thread: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/aiyima’s-tpa3255-pffb-based-amplifier-coming-soon.51188/page-9#post-1910756)

Re-reading @amirm 's relevant comment on page 2 of this thread here, he writes:
They sent both but asked me to test with 10 amp supply. The power supply does say GaN on it but has no brand. I assume it is true but hard to do due diligence.

This does not say that Aiyima "asked Amir not to test the 48/5A" PSU. It says they asked him to test with the 48/10A supply.

It could be that Aiyima is lying and asked him to test the amp only with the 10A PSU - but in that case it would be strange that they'd send him both. And it would also be strange that they would needlessly return to the discussion in the other thread to tell this lie in response to one of your many posts about this, instead of just letting it be.

It could be that Amir is lying and Aiyima did not ask him to test with the 10A PSU - but that would be a bizarre lie for Amir to tell and there's zero motivation he'd have to tell such a lie.

Or, it could be that something was lost in communication here. No offense at all to Aiyima, but from reading their comments in this and the other thread, it is clear that their English fluency is good but not perfect. It's entirely possible that they told Amir that they wanted him to include tests with the 10A PSU - or else why would they have sent it to him? - but they didn't mean that they wanted him to only test that PSU and not the other one. It's also possible that they clearly said that he should feel free to test both PSUs but they requested that he include the 10A PSU, and he felt like he would only do the 10A one for the reason he's repeatedly cited in multiple comments here: it's only $30 more and he doesn't view that as significant.

To my eyes it's obvious which of these three possibilities is the most likely explanation. And if we want more clarity and a definitive answer, I'm sure we can get that without making accusations or insinuations of dishonesty or sketchy behavior.

Top Bottom