• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 Max Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 118 46.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 80 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 22 8.7%

• Total voters

radiokr250

Are you saying a new A07 Max revision comes with 4 ceramic capacitors instead of 4 electrolytic ones? Can you show a picture of your amp?
No i'am change 2x0.1uF NP0 and 2x1uF X7R . I had a question about what you replaced?

radiokr250

Oh, ok. Trung said he used all X7R on all 4, I believe. I need to search for his post.
it was just a question, how did you get results? 4x1uF or 2x0.1 2x1, as far as I know, Np0 is better than X7R...

first, after replacing only 0.1 electrolyte to NP0 signal became sinus, but the noise level increased, and finally, after replacing the remaining 1 u, it dropped to around 120-140 mV original (280-300mv circa) not profesional scope , (no speak english ...)

Last edited:

dr_mick51

it was just a question, how did you get results? 4x1uF or 2x0.1 2x1, as far as I know, Np0 is better than X7R...

first, after replacing only 0.1 electrolyte to NP0 signal became sinus, but the noise level increased, and finally, after replacing the remaining 1 u, it dropped to around 120-140 mV original (280-300mv circa) not profesional scope , (no speak english ...)
You need to replace all 4 capacitors: 2x1uF and 2x 0.1uF. I assume you get most of the results by replacing the bigger capacitors than by replacing the small ones, but replace all 4 just to be safe.
Yes NP0/C0G are better than X7R but only if you are using them with more than 70% of the rated voltage, it's only then when they start derating and capacitance decreases. Use 100v X7R capacitors and don't worry about NP0 capacitors anymore.

radiokr250

You need to replace all 4 capacitors: 2x1uF and 2x 0.1uF. I assume you get most of the results by replacing the bigger capacitors than by replacing the small ones, but replace all 4 just to be safe.
Yes NP0/C0G are better than X7R but only if you are using them with more than 70% of the rated voltage, it's only then when they start derating and capacitance decreases. Use 100v X7R capacitors and don't worry about NP0 capacitors anymore.
100V changed all

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

BeQuietZen

At least for me, it is more like a $88.36 with shipping.

Capture.JPG

I bought a Fosi V3 + 48V5A PSU first gen amp for $88 with free shipping from their store. Runs cool and it's competently designed with 63V elcos and 100V Wima caps in the output filter. Can it be better? Sure. But the Fosi V3 is safe to use, and the A07 Max is not so much.

How many 50 volt capacitors are there in these pictures running on a 48 volt PSU line?

Inside Up.jpg

x2.jpg

x1.jpg

This is a prime example of incompetent engineering work. More like a time bomb waiting to explode. I wouldn't have brought this amp home (and used it) even if it had been given to me as a gift.

But that's just my humble opinion. Everyone can gamble with their life and the lives of their loved ones. And please use some good insurance for your home from a reputable company. Fire risks are a serious matter, don't just rely on luck.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
didnt aiyima increase those from 50 to 63v on the advice of this place?

saberger0357

None of my speakers need whatever extra power is produced by using the 48V PSU. Lately I've been using them with my Klipsch La Scala's, and even a 24V PSU would be more then enough for those speakers.

That said, I've used the 48V supply on numerous occasions and there's never been an issue. The amps get warm, but not overly so, and as I do with my tube gear, I shut them off if I'm going to be away from them for longer periods of time, and certainly overnight. Worrying about risk to life and home is really carrying whatever risk one perceives of these amps a little far.

sikahr

@dr_mick51 @MCH @trungdtmc
HI, I want to use 2 x A07 max in PBTL mode to drive 2 x Behringer PK 108 (Light PA-Small DJ gig), I bought 2 x 48V 5A GaN Supplies from Aiyima.
Now I am afraid to burn A07 max because of voltage regulator heating (thanks for info). What do you think about active cooling, with laptop cooling pads, or put Aiyimas upside down & use some kind of fan from above? Is there anything I can do inside Aiyimas to protect them (maybe caps replacing, put small heatsink on voltage regulator or something)?

dr_mick51

HI, I want to use 2 x A07 max in PBTL mode to drive 2 x Behringer PK 108 (Light PA-Small DJ gig), I bought 2 x 48V 5A GaN Supplies from Aiyima.
Now I am afraid to burn A07 max because of voltage regulator heating (thanks for info). What do you think about active cooling, with laptop cooling pads, or put Aiyimas upside down & use some kind of fan from above? Is there anything I can do inside Aiyimas to protect them (maybe caps replacing or something)?
If you are concerned about heat dissipation, you can easily add small heat sink to the voltage regulators. There are small ones that comes with thermal tape(not paste) which can be installed on top of the chips. This increases the heat transfer and reduce the chip internal temperature. And adding external active cooling will reduce drastically the overall case temperature. Adding a silent usb-powered fans will make a huge difference. It only needs to move little air, it does not need to be a huge air flow.
This is a good solution for anybody having thermal issues or concerns.
People think that the hot air inside the case gets trapped, but not. This hot air transfers its heat to the case as well by natural convection and the cooler the case the better.
Of course my recommendation is not to use 48V power supplies if you really don't need to. Only rare and special cases require them.

MCH

Major Contributor
Now I am afraid to burn A07 max because of voltage regulator heating (thanks for info). What do you think about active cooling, with laptop cooling pads, or put Aiyimas upside down & use some kind of fan from above? Is there anything I can do inside Aiyimas to protect them (maybe caps replacing, put small heatsink on voltage regulator or something)?
Hi sikahr,

When I received my A07 max that I use to power passive subs in mono mode I experimented a bit with power supply voltage. I did not collect data, but my observation was that at 36V they don’t get warm at all, at 48V they get a bit warm but I would say nothing to worry about. Experimenting with voltages in between, I settled in 42V, that I found that is not much different to 36V in terms of amplifier temperature in my setup.

All that said, I would not worry too much, I went through all this because my amps are hidden behind the subs in a poorly ventilated area and because I have the possibility to tune the voltage of the power supply. But you will see the temperature even at 48V is not that high, and in mono mode the heat generated by the amp itself should be more under control than in stereo mode. Now, my use case is very different from yours, so I guess you will have to pay attention during your first gig. Hope it helps and have fun!

trungdtmc

A07 max using LMR16030 for main stepdown 12v and TPS5430 for nagative supply, they don’t have any heating issue.
With 48v, the tpa3255 will get quite hot at idle, 36V is better if you don’t need too much sound

ArupEn

Um so I'm thinking of buying amp for my speakers, which should I buy one Fosi Audio ZA3 or 2x of Aiyima A07 Max?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think realisstically the current crop of non pffb units with the 48v 5a psu will pretty much work well with most peoples' setups

personally for me i'd rather wait until pffb stereo xlr units come into mainstream volume

like the A70 but not at A70 prices... to me getting close to $200 is them being funny

the new ZA5 is about to hit and so it may seem that pffb will take over

BUT i mean at under $100 for the MAX... its close enough... at at $200 for TWO units.. yeah

O-noorus have a $100 rca pffb with a bunch of fripperies like remote and display

but yeah these are cheap enough that many will try a few out

Vijay_kumar74

Um so I'm thinking of buying amp for my speakers, which should I buy one Fosi Audio ZA3 or 2x of Aiyima A07 Max?
I have both and I use none! :) (BTW, I use and prefer multichannel AVR).
I don't think you will require power of 2x A07 max. ZA3 is powerful enough with 48v/5A. In case more power is required, you can buy Fossi 48V/10A power supply.
Though its technical forum, but purely subjectively speaking, personally I found single A07 max better sounding than 2x A07 max's. Also I found ZA3 to have dispersed sound with better staging. A07 max sounded crisp but localized. Its purely personal and very subjective, in case it helps decide as per your preference.

Top Bottom