• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 Max - Aiyima's new TPA3255 amplifier with mono/stereo output

carpman

1. I want an RCA line level stereo (dual L + R RCA) going into the ("CLASS-D") amplifier's RCA inputs (no problem so far)
  2. Then I want the CLASS-D's pass-through AUX 3.5mm output to (function whether the amp is powered or not, and) go into the standard RCA stereo inputs of my headphone amp ("HA") - I'm one of the 30% in this case.
  3. I want the CLASS-D amp to output a genuine mono (sum of its L + R RCA inputs) to a single passive speaker (not a sub).

So one passive speaker is driven by one CLASS-D amp and plays a genuine mono signal (not just the left RCA input channel).
mono-setup.jpg

This is what I thought the Aiyima A07 MAX would do. I assume this is still correct? Found some of the previous posts a little confusing.

C.

NoMoFoNo

Of course it will work like this. It’s equivalent to the picture you reacted to, just saves one cable.
OK but the difference seems non-trivial for (likely) many users, IMO. The fact that so many posts are commenting on it tells me it matters and is not the trifle you think it is.

MCH

Major Contributor
View attachment 319920
This is what I thought the Aiyima A07 MAX would do. I assume this is still correct? Found some of the previous posts a little confusing.

C.
If what aiyima posted on the previous page (post 121) is correct, this will result on the speaker playing one channel and the headphones (both) playing the other channel. Now I see the blue interconnect represents a trs to RCA, not a Y cable: in this case the headphones will play stereo.
I guess others might have confused the blue interconnect like I did, it is really not optimal to draw it like that.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s really simple guys: the aux is 1:1 the input. They are directly connected.

carpman

It’s really simple guys: the aux is 1:1 the input. They are directly connected.
Yes, I understand the Aux Out replicates the RCA input, but I was under the impression the amp was able to output (via the speaker terminals) a summed mono (i.e. L + R) not just the left channel. So this amp can't act as a stand alone mono amp. That's all I'm trying to figure out.

C.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So this amp can't act as a stand alone mono amp. That's all I'm trying to figure out.
It can, it just can’t sum L and R. In mono mode probably only the L or R channel will be amplified. So if using the aux out to the second amp, make sure to reverse L+R on the second amp to use both channels.

Mixing L and R into mono could be done quite simply with an 1k resistor in series with each signal. If you however also use the stereo signal, an additional buffer is needed to not influence the source.

Zek

Major Contributor
So if using the aux out to the second amp, make sure to reverse L+R on the second amp to use both channels.
You want to say that the L and R channels on the 3.5mm connector are crossed (this also happened on the first A07 models, so it was later corrected).

carpman

It can, it just can’t sum L and R. In mono mode probably only the L or R channel will be amplified. So if using the aux out to the second amp, make sure to reverse L+R on the second amp to use both channels.

Mixing L and R into mono could be done quite simply with an 1k resistor in series with each signal. If you however also use the stereo signal, an additional buffer is needed to not influence the source.
Unfortunately I don't want to listen to one half of a stereo mix. I was looking for a small amp to drive a surplus centre speaker to play music in my kitchen. Do you know of a small budget amp that actually plays a stereo mix in what I call "genuine" mono (i.e. the sum of L + R)?

C.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You want to say that the L and R channels on the 3.5mm connector are crossed (this also happened on the first A07 models, so it was later corrected).
I don’t know. But if not, you’ll need to cross on the second amp, otherwise you amplify the same channel again.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately I don't want to listen to one half of a stereo mix. I was looking for a small amp to drive a surplus centre speaker to play music in my kitchen. Do you know of a small budget amp that actually plays what I call "genuine" mono (i.e. the sum of L + R)?
Not out of my head. If you don’t have any other source connected, try the passive mix method I described. It should work just fine and can be done with a few components and a soldering iron.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks Toku.

Seems like manufacturer (Aiyima, in this case) seems to be satisfies with 50v to be used with 48v psu.
I guess we can only suggest to upgrade it to 63v for better safety.
Appears like other Aiyima TPA3255 amps were also using 50v cap, like A07, A07 pro, etc.
A07 has 50 and 63v caps depending in where you buy it from.

MattCoyk

There is a lot of confusion thanks to the included manual for mono mode, I have a pair sitting here connected to a wiim and SMSL DAC in Mono mode. When you select mono only the left input will be enabled on each A07 Max, connect your left and right channels out of the DAC to the left channels of the amp that is connected to the appropriate speaker.

I am operating the DAC as a Pre for volume control with the amps maxed. I have the 2 amps on a smart power strip so they all come on and off together.

AIYIMA

Audio Company
Forum Donor
We tested again yesterday and this connection will be better.

Attachments

• A07 MAX MONO Cable Connect.jpg
    A07 MAX MONO Cable Connect.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 296

Toku

Major Contributor
There is a lot of confusion thanks to the included manual for mono mode, I have a pair sitting here connected to a wiim and SMSL DAC in Mono mode. When you select mono only the left input will be enabled on each A07 Max, connect your left and right channels out of the DAC to the left channels of the amp that is connected to the appropriate speaker.

I am operating the DAC as a Pre for volume control with the amps maxed. I have the 2 amps on a smart power strip so they all come on and off together.
Does your system work fine with the speaker cables connected to R+ and L+ as shown in the SMSL diagram?
I don't understand this speaker connection from the electrical operation of the TPA3255.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

We tested again yesterday and this connection will be better.
Exactly, this is how I tested it as well.
Only difference was that I used a different 2nd amp for testing as I only had just one A07 Max.

ninetylol

Isnt it bad to Set amp to Max and dac to pretty low signal?
1. This would push the amp to max (possible distortion?)
2. Loses alot of DR because you have to lower DAC signal a lot.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
like how Fosi is allegedly doing... but granted Fosi are all in on XLR

if Aiyima could make say a 5 input line stage preamp w/ remote i'm there. No dac.

Top Bottom