• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus > Active Sub > 2x Aiyima A07 Max > Speakers + Room correction - Will it work?

C0mbat

Hi all,

I currently have the Bluesound Powernode N330, the Kef KC62 sub and a pair of Kef LS50 Meta. I use the sub out on the Bluesound to connect to the sub and the best that it allows is to set the cross cross over that also acts as a low pass filter, as far as I'm aware.

There are a few shortcomings that I'm hoping to address by swapping out the Bluesound for a WiiM Pro Plus and two Aiyima A07 Max that I will run in mono. These are the things that I'm hoping to address:

1) Reduce the load on the amps and the speakers by using the Kef KC62's high pass filter. This will be done by using the line out on the WiiM Pro Plus in to the sub and then using the line outs and the high pass filter from the sub to the Aiyima amps.
2) Use the parametric eq on on the WiiM Pro Plus (it's still only 4 channels right?) to do some basic room correction. I've just ordered the MiniDSP UMIK-1.

What I want to know is whether that will work and achieve what I'm trying to achieve? And are there any gotchas that I haven't thought about that will either stop me from achieving what I want or at least not a quite achieve the full potential in any way?

What I think that I'm getting from changing to this new set up is:

1) A better DAC in the WiiM compared to the Bluesound, thus improving sound quality
2) Reduced load on the amps (which have a much higher combined output than the Bluesound anyway) and speakers, thus improving perceived sound quality
3) Room correction, thus improving perceived sound quality

In order to achieve this I've just purchased, but haven't opened, the WiiM, 2 Aiyima A07 Maxs, two new pairs of RCA cables, and the MiniDSP mic. I'd rather not open them if this isn't going to work as expected.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What I want to know is whether that will work and achieve what I'm trying to achieve?
Yes.

Use the parametric eq on on the WiiM Pro Plus (it's still only 4 channels right?)
Yes. AFAIK, WiiM are working on adding more filters via FW update.

And are there any gotchas that I haven't thought about that will either stop me from achieving what I want or at least not a quite achieve the full potential in any way?
None that I'm aware of.

To measure the in-room response for sub calibration and room correction, I recommend you use the Moving Microphone Method (MMM).
Here are some links about it:

OP
C

C0mbat

Yes.

None that I'm aware of.

Yes.

None that I'm aware of.

To measure the in-room response for sub calibration and room correction, I recommend you use the Moving Microphone Method (MMM).
Here are some links about it:
Amazing, thanks for your quick response.

Jungstar

Did it work?

I think you are missing the biggest potential benefit. To get a high pass filter on the LS Meta speakers. They are "small" speakers and removing the low end below 80-100 Hz will significantly improve the midrange.

I would use Path: Streamer > DAC > Sub (low pass to sub, high pass to Meta) > Amp(s) > LS Meta

OP
C

C0mbat

Did it work?

I think you are missing the biggest potential benefit. To get a high pass filter on the LS Meta speakers. They are "small" speakers and removing the low end below 80-100 Hz will significantly improve the midrange.

I would use Path: Streamer > DAC > Sub (low pass to sub, high pass to Meta) > Amp(s) > LS Meta
Hi, this is what I'm doing and it's works perfectly :) But neither the LPF or the HPF are hard crossovers. They have roll offs that for some reasons Kef don't provide details for in the Kef KC62 manual or anywhere else. It seems to roll off around 30-40hz, which makes sense. But now I'm doing measurements to help me with the right crossovers :) I've been doing some more but haven't posted them yet as I think I can work on it a bit more before I ask for further advice. Tweaking the cross overs and moving the speakers a little has made a fairly significant different. So I want to do what I can before asking for help in how to best use the 4 PEQ slots that the WiiM has.

Top Bottom