• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AI and Future of Music Production

Triliza

Forum Donor
This blurring of AI vs real artists content will surely have some impact on how things worked til now. This can be beneficial for music as an social art form, in the sense that the musician of the future may have to perform live performances more often that they do today to make a living, and we the audience may have access to more live music events and appreciate it more in that form. Music had been around from forever and will continue to do so.

There have been other approaches to band-audience relation, The Greatful Dead did built a community around their music. The artists would need to get organized better between them, to create festivals and live events, to demand public places where they can get in touch more often with the audience (and to be able to support themselves).

KiyPhi

This blurring of AI vs real artists content will surely have some impact on how things worked til now. This can be beneficial for music as an social art form, in the sense that the musician of the future may have to perform live performances more often that they do today to make a living, and we the audience may have access to more live music events and appreciate it more in that form. Music had been around from forever and will continue to do so.

There have been other approaches to band-audience relation, The Greatful Dead did built a community around their music. The artists would need to get organized better between them, to create festivals and live events, to demand public places where they can get in touch more often with the audience (and to be able to support themselves).
Non-human concerts are also a thing. See Vocaloids and the Tupac hologram concert. The Vocaloid ones even have some degree of audience interaction. Similar to Vocaloids, I assume AI artists might be their own niche. I hope so anyway, but I also assume AI will be much more human sounding than the Vocaloids and their derivatives.

AdrianusG

much of modern pop music is so formulaic that it might as well be from AI
Yes, most modern music is already at absolute rock bottom artistically, so why not, not much to F*ck up anymore compared to the rubbish we already have here and now.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
With lyrics like:
"I'mma make you my bitch
Cake, cake, cake, cake
Cake, cake, cake, cake
Cake, cake, cake, cake
Cake, cake, cake."
and
"My hump, my hump, my hump (ha), my lovely lady lumps (Check it out)."

I hope AI takes over and provides something intelligent, in fact, a lot of very popular songs from every decade are nothing but crap filled in with do-whops, sha-la-las and Hey Baybee.

sonitus mirus

Imagine a future where technology allows us to effortlessly assemble a band by 'dragging and dropping' musicians from any era into an AI-powered ensemble. This custom-created band would feature artists performing in their distinct styles and characteristics. You could mix real artists with AI-generated ones, directing the AI to craft music based on a chosen genre or theme. The AI's capabilities would extend to designing album covers and fabricating a whimsical history for the band, complete with anecdotes about the members' adventures. Maybe Jim Morrison singing lead for Cream would make for some interesting new music?

Similarly, this concept might one day extend to movies and TV shows. Imagine being able to digitally insert yourself into a scene alongside legendary actors from the past. While such advancements might seem distant, the rapid pace of technological progress makes them increasingly plausible.

Barrelhouse Solly

50 Years from now the world (if it still exists at all) will be unrecognisable due to the impact of AI.

I don't think we can even guess what that will look like - just as it was impossible to predict what impact the internet would have even just 30 years ago.

AI arts are just a small part of it
This is the Clarke level thing. It derives from his "Any sufficiently advanced technology..."

Barrelhouse Solly

I can see AI as a master console thing where you could modify human provided input simply. I can see it as a way to combine electronic stuff with human generated stuff. I can see it as whole cloth "factory music" that's similar to the way most pop music has been since at least the end of WWII.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In 2070 I either will be dead or 113. I may be quite lucky to be the former.

I'm old enough to remember when Switched on Bach was breakthrough stuff. Looking out my window this morning, I notice a vanilla sky.

Reactions: OCA

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but overall results in much more negative than positive.
The stuff that works one takes for granted, internet searches, traffic lights, car navigation, data management, all have come a long way, just to scratch the surface of things that work. I think talk not results is much more negative, although things like sports analytics for gambling have manipulated many unwitting participants.

Anton D

Pretty soon, our Elon Musk brain implants will simply access our Star Link account and that will be all we need to listen to music.

Then, our Google implants will make us able to write and perform, and the Apple Autotune will make us sound great.

There is no future for physical playback. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: OCA

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty soon, our Elon Musk brain implants with simply acccess our Star Link account and that will be all we need to listen to music.

Then, our Google implants will make us able to write and perform, and the Apple Autotune will make us sound great.

There is no future for physical playback. ;)

I look forward to welcoming our AI overlords :cool:

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Pretty soon, our Elon Musk brain implants with simply acccess our Star Link account and that will be all we need to listen to music.
Neuralink might be DOA though (if it ever arrives)

Kind of like social media, a technology that could do so many good or positive things, but overall results in much more negative than positive.
IMHO your pessimism is premature. There is a justified perception that AI inches towards our throne on top of the food chain, which causes existential dread. I appreciate that, but as of today it can go either way. It's up to us how we regulate it and how we use it.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, tons of new music will be generated.

I'll have a listen, but at the end of the day, I'll surely still listen to my favorite five or ten albums of the 70s and 80s all the time.

OCA

Forum Donor
It's up to us how we regulate it and how we use it.
Don't forget that the very same people who gave us the "cookie banner" on every visited web page will regulate AI :)

Last edited:

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Of what worth will the efforts of human musicians be when a future AI has generated all possible pleasing combinations of musical notes into "songs"?

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Economist YT channel published this earlier today. I guess its every artists dream to be discovered by AI..

oozlum

I just finished reading this interesting article that might stimulate this thread in a more broader consumer shorter time span.

The pricing dilution (different customer, different price) is imo very later Susvara 6K usd headphone review related.

I hope this post sits well in this thread.

Top Bottom