• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AI and Future of Music Production

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Most impressive submission, well done. I shall be reading some of these references.

I missed this part they have upgraded from DALL-E 2 to DALL-E 3.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What do you think?

Thought is not required.

We now have AI to do that for us!

Me
What is the future of AI generated music

ChatGPT
The future of AI-generated music holds significant potential for both artistic and commercial applications. Here are some potential directions for the future of AI-generated music:
  1. Collaboration with Human Artists: AI tools could become collaborative partners with human musicians, assisting them in the creative process. AI algorithms can suggest melodies, harmonies, or even entire arrangements, allowing artists to explore new possibilities and push the boundaries of traditional music genres.
  2. Customization and Personalization: AI-generated music may be tailored to individual preferences and contexts. As technology advances, AI systems could create personalized soundtracks for various purposes, such as gaming, virtual reality experiences, or background music that adapts to a listener's mood and activities.
  3. New Genres and Experimental Music: AI has the potential to create entirely new genres of music or push the boundaries of existing ones. By analyzing vast datasets of musical styles and experimenting with combinations, AI systems could introduce novel and innovative musical expressions that challenge conventional norms.
  4. Assistance in Music Production: AI tools can assist in various aspects of music production, from composition and arrangement to mixing and mastering. This could lead to more efficient workflows for musicians and producers, reducing the time and resources required to create high-quality music.
  5. Live Performance and Interactive Experiences: AI-generated music could play a role in live performances and interactive experiences. Musicians might incorporate AI-generated elements into their live shows, creating dynamic and interactive performances that respond to the audience or environmental cues in real-time.
  6. Copyright and Ownership Challenges: As AI becomes more involved in music creation, there will likely be discussions around copyright and ownership. Determining who owns the rights to AI-generated compositions and how royalties are distributed could become more complex and may require new legal frameworks.
  7. Ethical Considerations: The use of AI in music creation also raises ethical considerations, such as transparency in disclosing AI involvement, potential biases in training data, and the impact on employment in the music industry. Addressing these ethical concerns will be crucial for the widespread acceptance of AI-generated music.
In summary, the future of AI-generated music holds promise for innovation, collaboration, and new artistic possibilities. As technology continues to advance, it will be fascinating to see how the music industry embraces and adapts to these changes.

Last edited:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Of course, the world will remain free to make music as they do know but I think 40 years from now, that would seem antiquated by many.

What do you think?

We will all be too busy looking for plasma rifles to fight off the AI Terminators to have time to worry about where our music is derived. LOL

If that does come to pass - AI music - I would expect live performances by real musicians to become the new "hip" thing to do. As a result, real people making original music won't have to start out as "starving musicians".

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
If that does come to pass - AI music - I would expect live performances by real musicians to become the new "hip" thing to do.
Direct to disk, too.

1709341875055.png

One way or the other.

1709341923520.jpeg

N.B. with no malicious intention vis-a-vis the rather epochal recording(s) evoked by the photograph above.

wunderkind

Thought is not required.

We now have AI to do that for us!

Me
What is the future of AI generated music

ChatGPT
AI blah blah blah........
In summary, the future of AI-generated music holds promise for innovation, collaboration, and new artistic possibilities. As technology continues to advance, it will be fascinating to see how the music industry embraces and adapts to these changes.

Sure. Right now Skynet is all warm and fuzzy. Just you wait till it realizes humans are a bunch of inefficient complaining virus consuming the planet. Then it's...

1709342625364.png

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
We will see and hear AI improving existing movies and music. It is being used to convert old mono recordings to stereo. It can remove film grain and colorize black and white movies and photos already. Some may object to those changes, but I hate film grain and would prefer a more perfect image.

AI will be able to perfectly remove pops and crackle from vinyl playback like the Puffin unit tries to do.

It can already create a specified painting in the style of a specified artist. Asked for a Mona Lisa. Done in the style of Monet in a few seconds:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We will see and hear AI improving existing movies and music. It is being used to convert old mono recordings to stereo. It can remove film grain and colorize black and white movies and photos already. Some may object to those changes, but I hate film grain and would prefer a more perfect image.

AI will be able to perfectly remove pops and crackle from vinyl playback like the Puffin unit tries to do.

It can already create a specified painting in the style of a specified artist. Asked for a Mona Lisa. Done in the style of Monet in a few seconds:

View attachment 355333
Still has the bizarre finger blind spot though. I don't really understand what it is about fingers AI can't do. Facial features are a bit off as well. Subtly different from the actual Mona Lisa, and not quite right for any face, especially the eyes (another AI weak spot). Interestingly that shows that the AI isn't just cleverly cutting and pasting, but is regenerating the image from scratch.

JeremyFife

But ... why??

Any number of good art students could churn out 'in the style of ' pictures. They don't. They strive to express themselves, their way.

If you want a custom picture there are no issues with commissioning one - from AI or from a person. That's valid and sensible.

Don't confuse that with creativity (about which I am confused enough anyway).

Different things.

DanielT

Major Contributor
......Elvis recorded this in 1959 but his music label thought the lyrics were far too risqué for radio. Years later the demo recording was found at a yard sale by Sir Mix-a-Lot and the rest is history.

;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
......Elvis recorded this in 1959 but his music label thought the lyrics were far too risqué for radio. Years later the demo recording was found at a yard sale by Sir Mix-a-Lot and the rest is history.

;)

My understanding is that Elvis intended to include the track on one of his Gospel albums, but The Colonel nixed the idea.
Them Yankees ain't ready for that, son. Col. Parker was reported to have said. :cool:
1710334213164.jpeg

Ze Frog

I think A.I is going to be a catastrophe personally. What will be left for humankind to do? Will lead to us devolving. We won't need skills or education, we will literally just become worthless and have no purpose whatsoever.

Pareto Pragmatic

When AI takes us to fully automated luxury communism... like in star trek.....

Who am I kidding.

We are going to end up, very soon, in a modified Melancholy Elephants* type situation. By which I mean someone is going to use AI to copyright EVERY possible combination of notes that can make up a musical composition. And with increasing length of copyright, with extensions, that will be the death of writing music. By people and AI. Because nothing will be able to be done that is new and not owned by someone.

That could be stopped in many ways. I hope it is stopped. But it will be tried.

* sf story here: http://www.spiderrobinson.com/melancholyelephants.html

DanielT

Major Contributor
I think A.I is going to be a catastrophe personally. What will be left for humankind to do? Will lead to us devolving. We won't need skills or education, we will literally just become worthless and have no purpose whatsoever.
AI development is moving forward very quickly. Which makes it fascinating and terrifying at the same time.

Ze Frog

AI development is moving forward very quickly. Which makes it fascinating and terrifying at the same time.
Yeah, there is part that is fascinating. As a species though I don't really feel mankind has really matured to the same level as some of the technology we create.

Ze Frog

Well that's a start. I'm still amazed the regulations weren't considered before the fact though. I mean surely such a technology would need some strict guidelines, and I'm no scientist or computer whizz, that's just little old me with a basic UK public school education. Which almost makes you wonder just how intelligent are the supposed greater minds of society, it's pretty unnerving.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well that's a start. I'm still amazed the regulations weren't considered before the fact though. I mean surely such a technology would need some strict guidelines, and I'm no scientist or computer whizz, that's just little old me with a basic UK public school education. Which almost makes you wonder just how intelligent are the supposed greater minds of society, it's pretty unnerving.
Legislation is always playing catch up with technology. It is difficult or impossible to legislate for technology (especially disruptive tech) before it exists.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
When AI takes us to fully automated luxury communism... like in star trek.....

Who am I kidding.

We are going to end up, very soon, in a modified Melancholy Elephants* type situation. By which I mean someone is going to use AI to copyright EVERY possible combination of notes that can make up a musical composition. And with increasing length of copyright, with extensions, that will be the death of writing music. By people and AI. Because nothing will be able to be done that is new and not owned by someone.

That could be stopped in many ways. I hope it is stopped. But it will be tried.

* sf story here: http://www.spiderrobinson.com/melancholyelephants.html
I have to click like because there's no melancholy pachyderm button. :(
Thanks for sharing your thoughts (bleak though they may be) and the -- slightly ironic -- link to the short story! :)

Top Bottom