• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aboslute best CHEAP DIY speaker

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May have said elsewhere, but will repeat as they may be the next builds I do for ASR…

As may have to give up my wood shop when we downsize, am focused on kits that have cabinets. There are 2 from DIY sound group that look promising. One is the Helix MT and the other is the Apollo-7. You have to order in pairs and I need one so have reached out to Erich as only need one. They are packed in pairs so he will let me know when he ends up splitting one. :cool:

Last edited:

frascati

Can anyone comment on these...

...for example?

This is the sort of thing I would just love to have blind tested among speakers three or four or five times the price of these components.
"Cheap" to me is something under 200usd for all components. Even <100usd. Heck, why not? There are just too many 5 to 6.5 inch off-the-shelf commercial speaker offerings
out there anymore that often challenge the value of diy beyond this range..... for many of us.

I'd love to see more builds attempted and reviewed, and compared in real world listening, to the >500 dollar range of two way diy that seems to have become the norm.
There are literally hundreds of drivers available that would meet that <200 goal. But so few designers seem interested in really implementing them.

No necessity for cast frames, exotic "egyptian papyrus" cones, fancifully named composites, etc. I have a very, very, strong hunch that there are some real surprises lurking out there, that while lacking a bit in the pure measurements dept, might very well hold up to real listening comparisons, to projects 5X their cost.

The C-notes seemed to me to be an interesting step into that void. Finally. And I expected that a slew of similarly high value, low cost, designs would follow.... given the sheer number of other components available in this price range. But it didn't happen. Maybe PartsExpress wasn't interested in pursuing too much of this from a profit standpoint? Possible. I don't know.

In the notes for the above projects Michael muses that....
The Peerless 830656 puts the Morel CAW634 to shame. At only $16, she blew away the Morel that cost $154.

YMMV. Certainly. One man's X is another's Y. Etc. But I think a lot of people would be really nervous about a 100 percent blind shootout between their 1100USD project and another 200USD project. This thread really should be focused entirely on value over hype.

...even if it's months old:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor

The Peerless paper drivers are as good as it gets, considered the cost. The TC9 wideband is a marvel. But they do only so good, and there is some room for improvement, that would ask for 4 to 10 times the money.

Given the limitations of the bass driver in regard to harmonic and inermodulation distortion I do not see the point in chosing the x-over frequency that high, 3k namely. Reasonable quality sound can be expected up to, say, 2mm of excursion of the woofer cone. Hence the output is limited, so that one happily expects the tweeter to not get overloaded even with a 1,2kHz cross-over (in case of doubt a simple fuse will help). Even with that limited output the speaker will fill a room to levels that one wouldn't stand for prolonged time.

I had the same tweeter used down to 1kHz without any problem, I was just curious. The tweeter is gold, really. The lower x-over helps with lobing aka phasing and with HD IM from the woofer.

Finally I would say that the examples are attempts that fail to exploit the potential of the raw chassis material, no offense intended! They play it 'safe' by outdated standards.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

...for example?

This is the sort of thing I would just love to have blind tested among speakers three or four or five times the price of these components.
"Cheap" to me is something under 200usd for all components. Even <100usd. Heck, why not? There are just too many 5 to 6.5 inch off-the-shelf commercial speaker offerings
out there anymore that often challenge the value of diy beyond this range..... for many of us.

I'd love to see more builds attempted and reviewed, and compared in real world listening, to the >500 dollar range of two way diy that seems to have become the norm.
There are literally hundreds of drivers available that would meet that <200 goal. But so few designers seem interested in really implementing them.

No necessity for cast frames, exotic "egyptian papyrus" cones, fancifully named composites, etc. I have a very, very, strong hunch that there are some real surprises lurking out there, that while lacking a bit in the pure measurements dept, might very well hold up to real listening comparisons, to projects 5X their cost.

The C-notes seemed to me to be an interesting step into that void. Finally. And I expected that a slew of similarly high value, low cost, designs would follow.... given the sheer number of other components available in this price range. But it didn't happen. Maybe PartsExpress wasn't interested in pursuing too much of this from a profit standpoint? Possible. I don't know.

The Peerless 830656 puts the Morel CAW634 to shame. At only $16, she blew away the Morel that cost $154.

YMMV. Certainly. One man's X is another's Y. Etc. But I think a lot of people would be really nervous about a 100 percent blind shootout between their 1100USD project and another 200USD project. This thread really should be focused entirely on value over hype.

Drivers are decent enough, but…

Design appears rudimentary - drivers are not recessed, no off-axis measurements and crossover schematics are not shared. Seem a very typical old school DIY design overall. Would not invest time to build for Amir to test.

silverD

Drivers are decent enough, but…

Design appears rudimentary - drivers are not recessed, no off-axis measurements and crossover schematics are not shared. Seem a very typical old school DIY design overall. Would not invest time to build for Amir to test.
Mike is a great guy and the $10 donation for the cab and crossover specs is reasonable. He reuses the cabinets across designs to cut down on the woodworking and space that this hobby can consume. I built his Anarchy-XT and I think they sound great. He has a design called the Hummingbird-TA that uses the same drivers as the C-Note and I wonder how they would compare.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mike is a great guy and the $10 donation for the cab and crossover specs is reasonable. He reuses the cabinets across designs to cut down on the woodworking and space that this hobby can consume. I built his Anarchy-XT and I think they sound great. He has a design called the Hummingbird-TA that uses the same drivers as the C-Note and I wonder how they would compare.

Ok, but there are lots of nice guys doing DIY speakers. I have built most of the DIY speakers that Amir has tested. All are from established designers and some did well and others not as well. I think we tested enough to show that bargain speaker market is a difficult one to DiY to compete in.

In the end, as one of ASR’s goal is objectivity, I offered my objective opinion to @frascati. I do not consider it a high bar to take some off-axis measurements of a speaker design. Even if someone offers a subjective opinion, am fine with that but it is also fair to observe where key contemporary measurements are lacking.

Raxumit

I think I agree with Rick about keeping crossover designs secret in DIY designs.

It's not that $10 is unreasonable - I think it very much is, even for builders in non-Western economies. But I'll doubt I'll ever build a design with a proprietary crossover. It just rubs me the wrong way, and is part of a continuum that ends up in Troels Gravesen-land, where you are paying for expensive crossover components and a proprietary design, with no clear way to work out how much for either until you've paid and gotten the parts in the mail. It's not that I mind middlemen making some kind of markup, but when Madisound does it on a pre-built crossover, I can work out exactly what that markup is ahead of time, if I chose to. I never have, but I could.

It's also part of a "I'm the wizard, making secret magic, that must never be shared" vibe that starts to resemble audiophile snake oil if you come at it from a skeptical angle. One of the very real reasons to build a DIY design is the potential to gain a good understanding of the technical tradeoffs of your selected design ahead of time. Yes, you can get some idea without knowing component values, but it's not complete.

I do a bit of open source development, and I give that away under GPL, rather than try to cage up $100/year on nickel and dime shareware-level contributions. I'm not sure my level of effort is comparable to a speaker designer, having never designed a speaker, but it might be.

Keeping this slightly on topic, I've built 10+ Overnight Sensations and used them as surround speakers in multiple 5.1 home theatre systems. They're OK for that. The kits from DIY Sound Group/Denovo are easy to put together, for sure. They're less good in a two channel setup, but I've spent many hours listening with modest expectations to them on garage and small room setups.

motomech

...for example?

Comparing DIY to "store bought" speakers is a thorny path to tread. There are just so many factors ranging from cash outlays (Do you own enough tools or will they have to be purchased?) to the really important things like how the S.O. is going to feel about how they look:) It's better to let people decide what's important to them and pre-suppose that as far as having a box and the sound that comes out of it, it is going to cost at least twice as much to buy than to make and leave it at that.
As far as as cost/value of DIY is concerned, there are two tiers, kit builds and plan builds and here "economy of quantity" pays off as most of the time the kits, in general, are going to save around 30% over buying from a BOM list (and if a flat-pack is included, the savings can be even greater, precluding buying some tools).
So, if unless one is dead-set on doing something different, a kit is going to offer a better cost to value assuming the final result pleases the ear, and that is the rub.
My current thinking is that there are really only two vendors of "budget" kits, Parts Express and DIY Sound Group, so lets examine those.
PE - Like many here, I started this hobby more than a decade ago building PE kits at a time when most of their offerings were the products of different well known designers and the finished product reflected his hand. Today, it feels most of what PE has avail. is a result of "design by committee" with considerations other than sound quality.
DIY SG - Erich cares about SQ, but most of the time, the majority of his kits are "out of stock".
To be clear, I don't want to sound like I'm deriding either PE or DIY SG. They are operating in the difficult arena of today's business World and I appreciate what they do for hobby, I only mention this because today I feel more than ever, it's worth looking at "scratch builds".
A few posts back in this thread, I examined three pairs I built over the years and what they would cost to build today. All three are acceptable to me as good enough to be used as a stereo pr.s in a music-listening system, and as such they need to be able to do a couple of things;
1) To be able project out and envelop the listening position in a medium sized room.
2) To satisfy w/ a minimum of processing.
To test the latter, I run them w/ just a DAC and power amp and if they sound gd., they will sound good no matter how they get used later.
If a speaker pr. w/ woofers smaller than 5 inches and a parts total under $300 can achieve this, I haven't experienced them.
After totaling today's parts cost w/ PE boxes and a basic finish (tools not included), the Girl From Ipanema by Paul Carmody and Nexus by Matt Grant were around $400. The Aviatrix kit from PE is less, but now uses the Dayton RST tweeter which makes me a little nervous, although Curt Campbell's design w/ the original RS28F tweeter in the MTM form are, IMO, equal to the other budget 2-ways I have.
When I made that post I was thinking that that $400 number was about rock bottom for what I thought it would cost to build a really good pr. of budget stand-mounts.
But since then, I built the Swan/Hivi 2.2's avail. on Amazon for $240 (sometimes going as low as $180) and am simply blown-away by them. Near field or out in a fair sized room, I really don't think any budget DIY 2-way pr., whether a kit or built from plans can come close to those.

Last edited:

motomech

I'm glad Mike is making his X-over's available for nominal cost. As a disappointed builder of the C-notes when they first came out, I contacted Mike when he was offering the documentation for free, thinking I would re-purpose the C-notes, but he never responded. I didn't think much about it, (he probably gets lot's of hair-brained requests) and I ended up using most of the C-note stuff to build Matt Grant's Nexus MT;
In the process of building the Nexus, I gained a little insight into what I think the main problem with the C-notes is, namely, running the DSA-135 up to 3K Hz. to meet the smallish ND25. Although a great little mid-bass, the DS/DSA 135 doesn't like going that high and there is no way the C-note's minimal low-pass can tame it.
In the Nexus design, Matt pairs it with the ND28 to X-over @ 2.1K Hz and even then he had to resort to a rather complex, high component-count filter.
The Hummingbird TA retains the 3K Hz. X-over point and it would be interesting to see Mike's approach to smoothing out the woofer.
Just to complete the story, the Nexus 2-way way exceeded my expectations. The C-notes strongest feature was it's prodigious bass out-put and the well-controlled ND28 tweeter rivals, IMO, a full-size metal tweeter. Later, I grafted the ND25's wave guide onto the ND28, and while I don't know enough about time-alignment and wave guides as to how this would effect the sound, it didn't seem to hurt. All and all, the Nexus/C-note conversion is smooth, warm and inviting and of all the speakers I own, my Yamaha YPAO multipoint considers them the most flat and applies the least amount of EQ on them.

frascati

As a disappointed builder of the C-notes when they first came out, I contacted Mike when he was offering the documentation for free, thinking I would re-purpose the C-notes, but he never responded. I didn't think much about it, (he probably gets lot's of hair-brained requests)

Since it's not the best practice to cut/paste/quote others without permission I'll just link to a topic thread where Michael C addresses the matter directly.

Michael Chua's site content checks many of the boxes I admire in DIY. Except for the lack of "open source" xovers, it incorporates an exceptionally wide range of cost in drivers with no apparent bias against simple quality, and a bare minimum of subjective commentary on silk, sonotex, kevlar, fiberglass, cast frames, woven papyrus, beryllium, ceramics, poly blends, slit cones, Corinthian leather, et al.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To be clear, I have little issue with anyone charging for schematics, but it does make it more difficult to evaluate the design objectively. If freeloading is an issue, would just supply with a supplied as-is disclaimer or charge a support fee.

In any case, if someone wants to spend a small fee for design info, that is their choice.:cool: Unless it also included some support time, not going to find me doing even if the designer has serious credibility.

fineMen

Major Contributor
To be clear, I have little issue with anyone charging for schematics, but it does make it more difficult to evaluate the design objectively.
Problem with DIY is that one evaluates the outcome only after all the effort. Subjectively of course, which is utterly o/k because for whom is it made for in the end? Individual room, individual habits, an individual record selection. All the objective data is targeted at maximising the subjective pleasure with the product, right?

Anyway, even if an amateur would afford e/g a Klippel analyser, could she, still as an amateur, evaluate the data correctly? The relevance of some data undergoes scientific scrutiny since decades, no end in sight.

Then, as to compensate the lack of true insight some DIY people try to estimate the value of a design by knocking with their knuckles against enclosure panels, by adding up the parts' cost, asking for the most exotic drivers, and every other exaggeration of common phoolery one can think of.

In short, to DIY successfully needs so much more than any beginner could possibly invest, that I don't recommend to start with it. I'm a DIY guy since decades and evaluate - not some weired driver selection, but basic principles of stereo replay at home I've got *no* presentable speaker since years, and I'm eaxclty happy with it.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In short, to DIY successfully needs so much more than any beginner could possibly invest, that I don't recommend to start with it.
It's a great hobby if speaker design interests you, or if building nice cabinets is enjoyable work. Simply assembling a competent kit isn't so bad, but you're at the mercy of what's available.

fineMen

Major Contributor
It's a great hobby if speaker design interests you, or if building nice cabinets is enjoyable work. Simply assembling a competent kit isn't so bad, but you're at the mercy of what's available.
Doing nice cabinets is something else. It didn't come to my mind, as I never do this. With the kit-solution I'm particular reluctant. Not just the unpredictable preferences of the original designer, but who validates the outcome? If one could do it, why not designing the whole thing alone to begin with? Without quality control, who cares :oops:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice cabinets is something else. It didn't come to my mind, as I never do this. With the kit-solution I'm particular reluctant. Not just the unpredictable preferences of the original designer, but who validates the outcome? If one could do it, why not designing the whole thing alone to begin with? Without quality control, who cares :oops:
Lots of good cabinet builders team up with crossover designers.

frascati

Occasionally I'll see an overlap on the boundaries between audiophile and professional drivers used for diy "audiophile" ( home) use. Most recently this...

Can anyone expand on and maybe update any of what is discussed here?...

What would one expect to hear in an A/B test between the VBS 6.2 and, for example, a similarly priced kit like the PE C-notes or Samba?
https://www.parts-express.com/Samba...MIyfbexdWD_gIVaBXUAR117A6REAQYAiABEgKP5fD_BwE

Or for better comparison A/B the VBS 6.2 with sealed examples of kits using more traditionally audiophile drivers. Level matched and run with subwoofer.

I expect that the VBS drivers are optimized for higher output. Maybe PA or a little live music in a small venue. But what exactly is the compromise paid for such design? What limits does it put in its use in a home stereo setup?

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Occasionally I'll see an overlap of the boundaries between audiophile and professional drivers used for diy "audiophile" ( home) use. Most recently this...

What would one expect to hear in an A/B test between the VBS 6.2 and, for example, a similarly priced kit like the PE C-notes or Samba?

Or for better comparison A/B the VBS 6.2 with sealed examples of kits using more traditionally audiophile drivers. Level matched and run with subwoofer.
Honestly, sometimes a designer just wants to use pro drivers. And some are quite hi-fi. Although generally the drivers need more TLC in terms of notch filtering etc. I won't use most pro compression drivers because of the titanium diaphragms. Titanium is tough as nails, but to me sounds like a musical trash can lid.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Occasionally I'll see an overlap on the boundaries between audiophile and professional drivers used for diy "audiophile" ( home) use. Most recently this...

https://www.parts-express.com/Samba...MIyfbexdWD_gIVaBXUAR117A6REAQYAiABEgKP5fD_BwE

I expect that the VBS drivers are optimized for higher output. Maybe PA or a little live music in a small venue. But what exactly is the compromise paid for such design? What limits does it put in its use in a home stereo setup?

Looks like a nicely designed speaker notably as a home theater speaker. Will only note 2 drawbacks. It does not reach low so needs a subwoofer and the parts count is pretty high. Have not heard and so prefer not to speculate. From a technical perspective, they are pretty well executed imo.

Compared to a more hifi-targeted speaker design, the main compromise is in the low bass. Given the use of Pro drivers, this is to be expected.

hex168

Looks like a nicely designed speaker notably as a home theater speaker. Will only note 2 drawbacks. It does not reach low so needs a subwoofer and the parts count is pretty high. Have not heard and so prefer not to speculate. From a technical perspective, they are pretty well executed imo.

Compared to a more hifi-targeted speaker design, the main compromise is in the low bass. Given the use of Pro drivers, this is to be expected.
The parts count seems normal to me for a compression driver, but I am surprised the designer did not go for the parallel resistor approach instead of tuned circuits since he has lots of efficiency to throw away to match the woofer anyway. However, both you and the designer know more about crossover design than I do (and certainly have more recent practice). Agree that it looks nicely designed.

Top Bottom