• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking Input On Calibrating a DIY Version of W371A/ 8381A Style Speaker System

Fredygump

I'm building a 4 way active speaker design based on the Genelec W371A, and am hoping to call upon the audio hive-mind to help me figure out how to make the most of the design.

I currently have 2 [mismatched] prototype speakers, and am working on building the final cabinets. The design was originally meant to be roughly the same dimensions as a W371A, but then I decided to add a coaxial driver to the cabinet instead of placing a separate monitor speaker on top. I thought I was making a unique and somewhat larger, full range W371A...but with the recent release of the 8381A, it seems I am now making a smaller and much more affordable 8381A.

The speaker cabinets have 2 front facing drivers and a rear facing subwoofer. I'm using a B&C 12fhx76 coaxial, Lab12 (front facing, sealed), and Dayton RSS256HF-4 (10" rear, ported subwoofer). I'm also using a Peavey VSX 48e signal processor, and an Emotiva XPA amp configured for 8 channels (6 high power modules + 1 stereo module).

So far my philosophy for tuning the system has been based on the theory of using multiple subwoofers to correct for room modes. To me the W371A looks a lot like multiple subwoofers, but all the woofers are in the same cabinet. Crossovers I have been using are 100hz, 120hz, and 1200hz. Left and right are summed below 100hz. And in the measurements below I'm using 48db/octave slope.

Below is a typical result. This is combined left and right channels, measured by REW. I have been using the Time Alignment tool in REW to set delays on the subwoofers, instead of using EQ. I haven't tried every permutation, but initial experiments made me think that using EQ without delays would not be effective with this particular speaker arrangement.

I have applied a small amount of EQ to shape the individual driver's responses when measured at the driver. For example, the horns have an uneven response that needed to be evened out...and still needs a little work! But I have not applied any EQ to "fix" response at the listening position.

2023-06-01 21_05_29-REW V5.20.9.jpg

I am starting this thread because discussions elsewhere on the forum gave me renewed motivation to expand my understanding of what this driver configuration is capable of. The Genelec is said to be superior to monitors plus multiple subs, and I want to see if my system can do the same.

So how would you approach a project like this? What is the theory to follow, or the "recipe"? REW is the main tool I have, so what measurements in REW would you rely on? Should I do something like using "Spectrograph" and try to keep peak energy time close to 0ms over the whole range? Should I invest in a more powerful measurement tool? I don't really understand how impulse or phase data in REW can be translated into meaningful data.

I can post any data you guys want, but right now I'm not sure what matters or if anybody is interested in playing along.

SDC

I'm facing similar problem with cardioid subs recently.

As going to anechoic chamber was not enough to measure the bottom frequency.

Nearfield measurement and akabak simulation is the best tool we can use. Unless you have access to NFS. Or ground plane measurment(which is PITA).

It's just lots of trial and error, our team is stuck in this part too.

If you want complementary mode, not cardioid mode. You can smooth the group delay, making it less spicky and smooth.

The delay is inevitable though as using 4th order filter between two subs, but still smooth and slow better than spicky ups and downs, just my two cents.

Attachments

• 1684589916.jpeg
    1684589916.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 123
OP
F

Fredygump

I'm facing similar problem with cardioid subs recently.

As going to anechoic chamber was not enough to measure the bottom frequency.

Nearfield measurement and akabak simulation is the best tool we can use. Unless you have access to NFS. Or ground plane measurment(which is PITA).

It's just lots of trial and error, our team is stuck in this part too.

If you want complementary mode, not cardioid mode. You can smooth the group delay, making it less spicky and smooth.

The delay is inevitable though as using 4th order filter between two subs, but still smooth and slow better than spicky ups and downs, just my two cents.
Impressive cabinet! But it isn't carbon fiber, so it isn't comparable to mine! (LOL!)

The "cardiod" idea pops up a lot. But is it really cardiod in a small room? I'm not sure. What I mean is that I tried configuring the speakers based on a pro audio cardiod sub theory. It worked as far as it created nulls in the locations where a cardiod is supposed to null, but I didn't see any improvement in frequency response. I gave it a good effort, doing research into the pro audio side of things, but I couldn't see any benefit.

I'm in the middle of experimenting. I started over, switching to -6dB/octave crossovers, set to 100, 315, and 1200hz. This time I am keeping left and right channels independent, so it feels like cardiod...but again, is it?

The measurements below is the flattest response I can by get just aligning the sub and woofer via Time Alignment tool. Results are left, right, and combined. Interestingly, the best result on both is a 3ms delay on the subwoofer. And 3ms is approx 3.3'/ 1m. That distance doesn't seem to have any correlation to the distance between the two speaker drivers, so I feel it is NOT cardiod? But the results are not terrible, and the 2 channels when combined help correct the strong nulls in the individual response curves.
2023-06-01 22_31_16-REW V5.20.9.jpg

This is spectrograph of the combined response:
2023-06-01 22_26_54-REW V5.20.9.jpg

Frequency response with distortion of combined response:
2023-06-01 22_26_24-REW V5.20.9.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SDC

SDC

Impressive cabinet! But it isn't carbon fiber, so it isn't comparable to mine! (LOL!)

The "cardiod" idea pops up a lot. But is it really cardiod in a small room? I'm not sure. What I mean is that I tried configuring the speakers based on a pro audio cardiod sub theory. It worked as far as it created nulls in the locations where a cardiod is supposed to null, but I didn't see any improvement in frequency response. I gave it a good effort, doing research into the pro audio side of things, but I couldn't see any benefit.

I'm in the middle of experimenting. I started over, switching to -6dB/octave crossovers, set to 100, 315, and 1200hz. This time I am keeping left and right channels independent, so it feels like cardiod...but again, is it?

The measurements below is the flattest response I can by get just aligning the sub and woofer via Time Alignment tool. Results are left, right, and combined. Interestingly, the best result on both is a 3ms delay on the subwoofer. And 3ms is approx 3.3'/ 1m. That distance doesn't seem to have any correlation to the distance between the speakers, so I feel it is NOT cardiod? But the results are not terrible, and the 2 channels when combined help correct the strong nulls in the individual response curves. View attachment 289706

This is spectrograph of the combined response:
View attachment 289707

Frequency response with distortion of combined response:View attachment 289708

Many W371 users I know uses complementary or side reduction (dipole) mode. Cardioid is just one of the preset as you already tested.

Best measured is best preset for each person.

And how we know it is best measured, which I pick smoothly rising group delay...

OP
F

Fredygump

I'm throwing up some more data. This is just about everything I can provide! Just curious if anyone out there can give any insight into what I could do to improve things?

I'm not worrying that this is "bad" so to speak, because it sounds pretty good to my ears.

But I'm on a journey to explore and learn, so I'm curious if anyone with more experience can look over my data and give advice or suggestions. I'm just figuring this out on my own, so I don't have any real education on the acoustic design principles. So I could very well be making foolish noob mistakes.

I feel like trying to explain what I've done and why, but instead I'll let you look at this set of data, and we can talk about what's going on?

Input/ Output levels and Phase
2023-06-04 22_06_58-Seeking Input On Calibrating a DIY Version of W371A_ 8381A Style Speaker S...jpg

Right channel (Output)
2023-06-04 21_29_40-VSX 48e DSP Processor Editor V1.0    Connected Port =_ IP _ 192.168.1.101.jpg

Left channel (Output)
2023-06-04 21_29_54-VSX 48e DSP Processor Editor V1.0    Connected Port =_ IP _ 192.168.1.101.jpg

Left and right channels (Input)
2023-06-04 21_30_33-VSX 48e DSP Processor Editor V1.0    Connected Port =_ IP _ 192.168.1.101.jpg

Matrix/ channel assignments (A & C are right channel; B & D are Left channel. I have a splitter cable on the inputs.)
2023-06-04 21_46_17-VSX 48e DSP Processor Editor V1.0    Connected Port =_ IP _ 192.168.1.101.jpg

Delays (Based on time alignment)
2023-06-04 21_29_18-Seeking Input On Calibrating a DIY Version of W371A_ 8381A Style Speaker S...jpg

Measurements. (rs = right sub, rw = right woofer, etc)
2023-06-04 22_13_29-Seeking Input On Calibrating a DIY Version of W371A_ 8381A Style Speaker S...jpg

Spectograph, combined left and right
2023-06-04 21_31_40-REW V5.20.9.jpg

Group Delay, combined left and right
2023-06-04 21_32_11-REW V5.20.9.jpg

Waterfall full range, combined left and right
2023-06-04 21_34_11-REW V5.20.9.jpg

Top Bottom