• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aboslute best CHEAP DIY speaker

mga2009

Hi!

Looking for a cheap and good DIY speaker design. I don't care if it's available as kit or not.

The idea is builidng 5 of the same and pair them with one subwoofer for one "el cheapo" 5.1 home theater setup (the receiver is an old ONKYO 313).

Some EQ will be available thru EQ APO, as I will be using a PC as source.

My first alternatives are Overnight Sensations MT and the C-Note, but I would like to hear your suggestions and hopefully have same DATA (I know the C-Note was reviewed here).

Also, it would be great if they are sealed to avoid port resonances and be able to mount them very close to the wall, but no problem if it's ported.

Cheers

Loathecliff

Concrete columns? Sonotubes? Saves making the boxes.

Love your typo "Aboslute" :cool:

OP
M

mga2009

Concrete columns? Sonotubes? Saves making the boxes.

Thanks for your reply.

There is no problem making the box (that's half the fun). I meant DIY speaker designs as components, XO designs, etc.

Cheers.

OP
M

mga2009

How big is your home theatre, how far will you sit from the speakers?
Tiny HT

At most 1.9 meters from the L and R, a little less to the C (I will be using the same design as center, don't care for an MTM design) and much less from the SR and SL as my couch is almost flat with e rear wall.

Cheers

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tiny HT

At most 1.9 meters from the L and R, a little less to the C (I will be using the same design as center, don't care for an MTM design) and much less from the SR and SL as my couch is almost flat with e rear wall.

Cheers
Honestly i would just get 5 Revel Concerta M16 for ~2400$ and live my best life. It has a perference score of 6.0 points out of the box with the port sealed and should respond extreemly well to EQ.

But if you had a big home theater and you need efficient horns or some shit like then i would consider DIY.

OP
M

mga2009

Honestly i would just get 5 Revel Concerta M16 for ~2400$ and live my best life. It has a perference score of 6.0 points out of the box with the port sealed and should respond extreemly well to EQ.

But if you had a big home theater and you need efficient horns or some shit like then i would consider DIY.

Sadly, Revel is not widely available in my country. There are some models but they are extremely expensive, that's why I am aiming for a DIY design

OP
M

mga2009

Have you done DIY before?
Yes.

Maybe 5 or 6 designs from several sources, plus a few couple subwoofers.

From a price/performance ratio, considering speaker prices and availabilty in my country, it's much better to import XO componentes plus bare drivers and build the box my self.

westyjeff

Something like this would be easy and cheep.

Creative-PVC-Speaker-Stand.jpg

F

freemansteve

You can make a great home made speaker from published designs, I'm sure. I did it years ago.

But if you're just making 2-off units, by the time they look even half decent in the room, I reckon you could have spent less and bought better sounding units from the "market".

OP
M

mga2009

You can make a great home made speaker from published designs, I'm sure. I did it years ago.

But if you're just making 2-off units, by the time they look even half decent in the room, I reckon you could have spent less and bought better sounding units from the "market".
What do you mean by "2-off units" ?? Sorry, english is not my first language.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What is your definition of cheap? Some
Budget constraint might be helpful. I also assume you’ll do all the carpentry yourself?

F

freemansteve

I mean only making one pair of speakers (2).

If you were making a lot, you could save money - for example, if you chose to put speaker cloth on the front, you'd end end buying more than you need for two speakers.

Sorry, I was using common English in the UK. Your English is clearly pretty good, probably better than 50% of people in the UK.

F

freemansteve

What is your definition of cheap? Some
Budget constraint might be helpful. I also assume you’ll do all the carpentry yourself?

These bookshelf speakers are highly rated by Amir, and only £8.09....

[I was lying, but it can be fitted with big ceramic horns]

OP
M

mga2009

C-Notes are USD$150 for a pair. Overnight Sensations are USD$160 for a pair. I meant that for cheap.

@freemansteve , no problem! Now I understand what you meant. I think on building 5 speakers and the idea is to "save" in some itmes like no cloth, no binding post, painted not veneered, etc.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
C-Notes are USD$150 for a pair. Overnight Sensations are USD$160 for a pair. I meant that for cheap.
As far as kit’s go, they are basically as cheap as it gets.

Top Bottom