• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aboslute best CHEAP DIY speaker

hex168

Since you will be so close to the speakers, a coax might be a good choice (I have not heard these):

There is also a reduced baffle step compensation crossover available if you need to put some of them on-wall.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Cheap? Yes
Easy? Yes (broadband element)
Easy to get really good? It is a really good driver in any case then they should go into a sensible construction.:)

Taking into account the high technical performance and very low cost, TC9FD18-08, in my opinion, is just incredible speaker!

Search the DIY forum, it is a favorite speaker element among many. Popular also in line speakers, see # 1358

Order when they get them again. They are popular.:)

Attachments

• shot_2022-03-30_18-18-25.png
    shot_2022-03-30_18-18-25.png
    656.4 KB · Views: 156
  • updatepanel (3).jpg
    updatepanel (3).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 160
  • shot_2022-03-30_18-27-41.png
    shot_2022-03-30_18-27-41.png
    252.7 KB · Views: 160

airborne

using 5 identical speakers and one subwoofer isn't really that great of an idea IMO.
Something like this would be easy and cheep.

View attachment 196501

done right it wouldn't be cheap at all. this is the most resonant enclosure shape possible and would have to be completely stuffed. you would then of course lose the ability to use a port and thus need to use a driver double the size for same output. and of course you would be using an enclosure 5 times the size compared to what a driver actually needs for a sealed enclosure. a complete waste.

different doesn't mean better and just because something looks clever doesn't mean it actually is.

sad reality is audio is such an old field it is almost impossible to come up with anything new except in areas of networking, digital sound processing, software, switch mode amplifiers or finite element analysis of bending wave radiators etc.

if you have smart kids make sure they go into some new field where innovation is still possible. audio field is dead as doornail. most everything has already been understood decades ago.

almost all "innovation" in Audiophile / DIY space is a scam.

Reactions: DDF
OP
M

mga2009

There are several cabinet iterations of this design which has a low crossover count: Duane Brown Dayton 4.

Well, that's a cheap driver. And as a matter of fact I have 2 ND16 tweeters lying around (not much saving tho)

It would be great to have some measurement data on that design

OP
M

mga2009

Cheap? Yes
Easy? Yes (broadband element)
Easy to get really good? It is a really good driver in any case then they should go into a sensible construction.:)

Taking into account the high technical performance and very low cost, TC9FD18-08, in my opinion, is just incredible speaker!

Search the DIY forum, it is a favorite speaker element among many. Popular also in line speakers, see # 1358

Order when they get them again. They are popular.:)

You mean going the "single full range" way? or some line array?

DanielT

Major Contributor
You mean going the "single full range" way? or some line array?
Both, but one driver keep in mind that it has low sensitivity.Not so much power, does not go so deep in frequency but wow that price, for that performance.:)

Line speakers also fit it. Advantages, Line speakers radically reducing floors and ceiling reflectors (if the line speaker goes from floor to ceiling) but it requires, among other things, EQ. See:

I myself have:

I like that Faital Pro element.:)

Last edited:

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of 4" cheap 2-ways, the Dayton4 are really hard to beat in sound and performance.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As long as you can measure to verify correct and ensure consistent performance, would consider Bagby Helix MT.

From Parts Express, the DA-Wave looks like a nice step up from the C-Note.

If you do not have adequate measurement equipment, have to agree that you may be better off purchasing.

OP
M

mga2009

Of 4" cheap 2-ways, the Dayton4 are really hard to beat in sound and performance.

It is quite cheap, and subjective opinions are very positive! Too bad there is no full data for it (I dare to say "no data" at all).

I posted in PETT regarding the correct locations for the tweeter and woofer within the baffle and maybe some measurements.

Anyways... the woofer on the Dayton 4 is the same is in this speaker?:

I dream with a DIY community driven - Klippel NFS data backed - waveguide loaded - SVS Prime Satellite killer!

OP
M

mga2009

As long as you can measure to verify correct and ensure consistent performance, would consider Bagby Helix MT.

From Parts Express, the DA-Wave looks like a nice step up from the C-Note.

If you do not have adequate measurement equipment, have to agree that you may be better off purchasing.

I have MiniDSP UMIK and "ghetto" DATS equivalent, and know how to make basics measurements but not to the point of designing a passive crossover.

Anyway, why do you recommend measurement equipment for a DIY speaker?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is quite cheap, and subjective opinions are very positive! Too bad there is no full data for it (I dare to say "no data" at all).

I posted in PETT regarding the correct locations for the tweeter and woofer within the baffle and maybe some measurements.

Anyways... the woofer on the Dayton 4 is the same is in this speaker?:

I dream with a DIY community driven - Klippel NFS data backed - waveguide loaded - SVS Prime Satellite killer!

Until recently DIY speakers have had very inconsistent measurements. Often they are only on-axis or not supplied. My signature is the list of ones tested by ASR.
I have MiniDSP UMIK and "ghetto" DATS equivalent, and know how to make basics measurements but not to the point of designing a passive crossover.

Anyway, why do you recommend measurement equipment for a DIY speaker?

Drivers and components can have wide tolerances or may simply be damaged/defective. Even if you are meticulous, mistakes do happen. When building the Bagby Mandolin, I accidentally miswired the crossover. May have been able to find comparing to another speaker (was only building one to test), but was quite obvious when I did a final validation test.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
btw, with a bit of careful setup, a UMIK mic and REW are sufficient to test a DIY speaker. :)

fineMen

Major Contributor
It is quite cheap, ...
I'm not affiliated with him, but:

Decent guy, decent designs. If You go too cheap You lose it all ;)

If Heissamnn's are too expensive, You may want to look after ready made speakers from China. Many tested here with in parts quite uplifting results. Especially after equalization and with added sub(s!).

OP
M

mga2009

@fineMen Yes, I've read many good things about Heissmann-Acoustics but there are over the budget I need for this project.

@somebodyelse Impecable DIY! Certainly @McFly is a very resourceful guy! Still, at almost USD$300 per speaker, it doesn't fit my budget for this project in particular. Definetly an awesome project

I think I will go with the "Dayton 4" from Duane Brown... sadly there is not much information, but the "admission costs" are quite low, and there is a Dayton speaker with the same woofer that was reviewed here and it looked quite OK/decent.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Hi!

Looking for a cheap and good DIY speaker design. I don't care if it's available as kit or not.

The idea is builidng 5 of the same and pair them with one subwoofer for one "el cheapo" 5.1 home theater setup (the receiver is an old ONKYO 313).

Some EQ will be available thru EQ APO, as I will be using a PC as source.

My first alternatives are Overnight Sensations MT and the C-Note, but I would like to hear your suggestions and hopefully have same DATA (I know the C-Note was reviewed here).

Also, it would be great if they are sealed to avoid port resonances and be able to mount them very close to the wall, but no problem if it's ported.

Cheers
I know you have built several speaker and subs and obviously like DIY. I am still writing this reply the way I am in case other folks thinking about DIY are following the convo.

Unless someone really wants the DIY experience (which I do highly recommend) the price point you are at is not offering much of a gain vs retail gear. You might not really save any money.
You would be doing it mainly for enjoyment.
@150-160 a pair, plus some additional costs, the Overnight sensations and C-notes are about as cheap as it gets for DIY.

I do think in the DIY realm, the C-notes are a very nice choice in terms of a nearly complete(box included) pair of speakers for $200. That said, note that a huge part of the C-Note speakers appeal is good bass for the size. Using a sub negates that a bit and definitely running them sealed negates a lot of the C-note design goal appeal. Especially as the design trades efficiency for bass extension.

I built the C-notes and have compared them to several retail speakers. They are okay. East to listen to with okay bass for a small speaker. Need plenty of power as they are really inefficient. Not a huge fan of the highs, they are kind of nasally and lacking detail. Whatever, they are fun enough and satisfying to build, if building is satisfying for a person.
Compared to a few quick retail examples I think the $280(pair) ELAC b5.2 is a better speaker. The $150(pair)Sony SSCS5 is better except bass wise. Without a doubt for my taste they get buried by the JBL 530 which is $240 in USA (what country are you in?)
Sale prices in the US can be crazy. My Sony's were $65 a pair. Just picked up a open box set of KEF q350 for $350. The C-notes do not compare very well to the excellent KEF speakers.
Someone mentioned the REVEL M16 which sound so much more like a hifi/high end speaker than the C-Note it is no comparison at all. Though they cost much more $, I am just trying to relate things here.

With sub bass help, I'd take the Polk XT15 over the C-Note and they are $200a pair - often on sale for $150 and even $99 in the US which is what I paid. With a touch of PEQ they are pretty great. If all 5 of your speakers are the same and require PEQ to correct the speaker you can using EqAPO in your laptop, of course you won't be able to apply room resonance corrections equally, though you should still be able to get the sub eq'd.

I am not poo pooing DIY. Just putting some perspective. If a person has the time and it sounds fun go for it. I love doing it. I have built speakers I don't love though and they can't be returned and are hard to sell in the gear marketplace.

If a buyer goes up in price one may or may not realize meaningful gains for a small system. If someone was building a "bigger" set-up with really high fidelity aims DIY still poses issues, even though at higher prices some DIY gear is really great, because some is just okay. Plus there is personal preference which I feel is big factor especially when dropping a lot of time and money. Dropping hundreds and then hours or even more on a DIY speaker that you don't love isn't super fun for very many folks and at that point the fun part is reengineering them or repurposing the parts which makes this whole DIY thing into a real hobby( or for the unenthused, a time suck.)

I always say that if the point is to also DIY for fun and adventure then go for it, if it is to save money or to get the best you can for low $$ it may be safer to buy retail on sale or clearance or even full budget prices in some cases are competitive with entry level DIY kits.

anyway,
You do personally like DIY and you live in country where the JBL 530 likely isn't on sale for $240 a pair or similar deals are not to be found. I also realize the point is a very affordable 5.1 system. Hifi/high end sound is not the goal, so cloning the Performa3 line would be to expensive vs the goal. I think to bring it back around for a modest and highly enjoyable HT your original choices (Cnote O.S.) are still the best options currently.

Other options that you (or other DIY interested folks)may not have seen yet if spending a bit more.
$250 pair Zaph ZA5.2 https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph|audio-za5.2-tm-2-way-pair/
$282 no boxes/495 with boxes pair SB Micro https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/sb-acoustics-micro-2-way-speaker-kit-pair/
$480 pair no box SB Bromo https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/sb-acoustics-micro-2-way-speaker-kit-pair/
$125 each w baffle/no box S2000 MTM https://www.diysoundgroup.com/home-...-series/s2000-speaker-kits/s2000-mtm-kit.html
If the Hivi kits are available in your country maybe check into those.

The old PE design still seem like decent ones.
$100 each for the Classix II kit at PE is another option, they have great bass response according to others(I have never heard them) https://www.parts-express.com/Classix-II-MT-Bookshelf-Speaker-Kit-with-Baffle-Only-300-7110
$200 a pair for the BR-1's, these are a sealed box design with good bass https://www.parts-express.com/BR-1-Kit-Components-300-641

Hopefully you can figure something out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom