• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 10.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 291 86.4%

• Total voters
Any reason not to get the Apple one?

It doesn't support sample rates higher than 48kHz*. Apart from the limited output, that's the only minor drawback I can see - it's more than enough if you use it exclusively with IEMs.
Personally, I even prefer the European version to avoid accidentally blowing my ears off at high volume.

(*not a big deal as nobody can hear above 22kHz, high sample rates make no sense from a distribution point of view)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
It doesn't support sample rates higher than 48kHz*. Apart from the limited output, that's the only minor drawback I can see - it's more than enough if you use it exclusively with IEMs.
Personally, I even prefer the European version to avoid accidentally blowing my ears off at high volume.

(*not a big deal as nobody can hear above 22kHz, high sample rates make no sense from a distribution point of view)
I've got the Euro ones (both Lightning and USB-C) as I'm in the UK. To give others an idea of the volume available, it's fine with Beyer DT880 32 Ohm, but not quite enough with Massdrop Sennheiser HD6xx.

otseiTiesto

Just as a curiosity, THD % (lineal scale, @ 94dBSPL):

THD %.png

Sources:
  • Moondrop May from Moondrop graph.
  • Moondrop CHU II from www.hypethesonics.com
  • 7Hz Salnotes Zero from www.hypethesonics.com
  • 7Hz Salnotes Zero II from Amir's measurements.
  • Truthear Zero Red from Amir's measurements.

Last edited:

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you're talking about this :
View attachment 335352

Then that's most likely a measurement artefact. Whether you call it "rocking modes" or "step function" you can occasionally see such an artefact when measuring IEMs either in a coupler's metal canal extension or in pinnae (711 or 5128). You'll see it move a little bit up and down with different reseats / insertion depths, or even go away completely in certain positions.

You can minimise that issue by coupling the IEM with the ear simulator with putty, a bit like this :
View attachment 335354
It's more annoying to do in a pinna but still doable.

When you do so the step function disappears. Here's an example with the Moondrop Chu, which tips are particularly susceptible to that issue :
View attachment 335353

In actual humans, so far I haven't seen a single measurement where that rocking mode / step function appears. Other than for one individual, Harman kept the in situ measurements they performed a few years ago, using a modified Momentum iei, to themselves, but here's a more recent comment from Sean Olive on the subject :
View attachment 335355

CSGlinux has organised a tour of a modified IEM with which participants can also perform in situ measurements, so far same story : not happening in the test subjects.
The database for this project is here :
(just be very careful about interpreting the measurements past 1-1,5kHz, and actually down to 500-600Hz if you're bothered by tolerances of +/- 1dB or so).

For what it's worth I also haven't seen that phenomenon occur when measuring IEMs in situ on my own as well.

It could still be that in a specific situation someone will experience such a phenomenon, but for now I prefer to put it in the category "not happening until I see otherwise".

Note that in a pinna the shape of these rocking modes can be a bit different than a simple "step" for some IEMs, but here for Amir's measurements, just visualise a line cutting through the kink (a bit like the Chu above) and you'll get closer to what is most likely happening in your ears if you get a good seal. Basically don't get too worked up with these kinks (same applies for 5128 measurements, that fixture seems particularly annoying to deal with in that regard).
Thanks for elucidating the matter. I am inclined to follow your evidence and arguments. But even if there is no "real" kink, Amir still EQed the region down to even better the sound. And my point was that no EQ is needed for other IEMs like the Truthear Nova. So, no doubt, the Salnotes Zero is remarkable and excellent for the money, but there are still better IEMs around.

nerdemoji

Thanks for elucidating the matter. I am inclined to follow your evidence and arguments. But even if there is no "real" kink, Amir still EQed the region down to even better the sound. And my point was that no EQ is needed for other IEMs like the Truthear Nova. So, no doubt, the Salnotes Zero is remarkable and excellent for the money, but there are still better IEMs around.
I'm going to have to disagree with your general point here. You seem to arguing that Truthear Nova is better, but I would consider that information irrelevant to the discussion, as this is a budget IEM. In fact, the Truthear Nova w/ foam tips is the most Harman 2019v2 compliant IEM in existence. It is more or less incomparable to others and is absolutely an outlier. I think the Salnotes Zero:2 offers some of the best value on the IEM market and which IEMs it beats or not is more up to PERSONAL preference than anything else.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is available in both formats. Of course they make a lightning dongle. But we should get back on topic
These are about 32% more sensitive than the Truthear Crinacle zero (original) that I have so driving them with a phone dongle with ease it seams like a reasonable topical discussion.?

Thinking I’ll like them and about half the cost also.
I had to go with silver since the other colors seemed backordered or after Christmas delivery anyway.

raif71

Major Contributor
Talking about earwax, I wonder should the various GRAS rigs be equipped with some earwax and only then measurements are made...hmmm ? ;)

GPJ

Another killer review Amir!

I don't EQ and am a little put off with that upper bass area that is a bit thumpy compared to original Zero (nice to see you confirmed what I hear). However, it is indeed a stellar piece of audio gear.

I am going to give EQ a shot with the Zero 2. Thanks for pointing out where to attack it.

Looks like the perfect Zero, IMHO, let's say Zero 3 would be to fix that upper bass area and then target the treble to reside between the original Zero and Zero 2. That would probably be the perfect 7Hz Zero family piece for me.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

RangerAudio

Amir mentions the v2 is superior with eq and v1 if you don’t.

I don’t eq and ordered the v2 as I tend to listen at lower volume and think a slight bass boost might be better for my situation
I think so. I use it at work with an apple dongle. It's really strong. Very enjoyable. Good for music, nice mids for podcasts as well. Solid product, just fits how I want to listen.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 335589

I'll take $25 over $4000, thanks.
That's true, but it's not the same experience, one of them you have to stuff it in your ears, and it's possible that soundstage perceptions might be different, perhaps in favour of the Dan Clark, but yeah it's a startling comparison when it comes to the measurements/price!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Talking about earwax, I wonder should the various GRAS rigs be equipped with some earwax and only then measurements are made...hmmm ? ;)
They're welcome to have some of mine, I've got more than enough!

GPJ

That's true, but it's not the same experience, one of them you have to stuff it in your ears, and it's possible that soundstage perceptions might be different, perhaps in favour of the Dan Clark, but yeah it's a startling comparison when it comes to the measurements/price!

And an inexpensive, competent pair of speakers will blow both the headphone and IEM completely out of the water IME.

But it's all about compromise ....

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And an inexpensive, competent pair of speakers will blow both the headphone and IEM completely out of the water IME.

But it's all about compromise ....
It's a different experience for sure, but I wouldn't use the term "blow out of the water", but then I am a headphone enthusiast as well as liking good speakers, so I don't really find the headphone experience limiting at all. In fact it's easy to say that good headphone sound (with EQ) can easily "blow out of the water" most speaker systems when referring to some aspects of music - bass detail and perhaps clean sound especially at higher volumes.

Hifihedgehog

Forum Donor
Agreed! Soundstage and bass perception is going to be notably different. A pair of headphones will emit bass frequencies that will be felt by not only the eardrums but the ear and even covered portions of the sides of the head. Likewise, there will be interactions with the pinna of the ear that create a different (and in fact larger) sense of space and scale than an IEM would project. Seeing low cost IEM’s frequency and distortion though already on the performance level of the Dan Clark TOTL stuff is refreshing for us consumers. I wonder how long until the headphone market comes around and begins the price trickle down of the Dan Clark headphones technology?

Last edited:

SlothRock

Just got my Zero 2's in and they're very, very awesome. The only thing that makes me sad is that they sound just as good, if not actually better than my Sennheiser IE600's that were like 24x the price of these. Jesus christ the value is through the roof and my sadness about what I spent on the IE600's is also through the roof o_O

Top Bottom