• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 180 82.9%

• Total voters

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess I can see the value for iDevice users (now that Apple has adopted USB-C) who are hampered by lack of system-wide EQ apps. For Android users, not so much.
Except that your DSP settings follow the IEM. After the initial (tedious!) setting, you can connect this IEM to your iPhone, Android, PC, PlayStation… with no need to mess with a EQ app and/or load your settings. Again off-topic : sorry!:rolleyes:

Aperiodic

Forum Donor
Interesting what is going on in the bargain-price market segment these days. Really good sound at a price such that losing them on the bus won't ruin your day. As an owner of both colors of the Crinacle Zero, I'm curious because I saw Crinacle say in one of those threads that getting the voicing he wanted required combining two dissimilar drivers; here they make it happen with one- annd maybe get even a little closer (aside from that odd 'kink' just above 100 Hz. This looks like it might be an easier load for a portable device but even my "$9 phone dongle" doesn't seem to struggle with the Zero Red at reasonable volumes. Like I said, good times in a world where some IEMs cost $2500.

TurtlePaul

I'm curious because I saw Crinacle say in one of those threads that getting the voicing he wanted required combining two dissimilar drivers; here they make it happen with one- annd maybe get even a little closer (aside from that odd 'kink' just above 100 Hz.
Yeah, clearly that is not quite true because there are tons of IEMs with one driver that have a bass lift and the HRTF treble adjustment. I suspect that doing it with one driver costs you efficiency and also results in more bass distortion and less treble extension. That being said, I doubt I can hear the bass distortion in the Salnotes Zeros at my 70 dB listening level and any deviations past 13 khz are lost on me because I am in my 40s (but I probably can hear the one in these original zeros).

lordhumungous

These earbuds are ridiculously good for the money. 20 bucks?!?!? you gotta be kidding me . Ive heard earbuds for hundreds more that dont sound this good.

How are they making any money on these?

TurtlePaul

Rather imagine the amount of money other manufactures are doing...
I think that there are two mindsets in the audio industry: big markup and sell one a week or slim margins and sell to the masses.

The Amazon listing suggests that Salnotes is selling a thousand Zeros and Zero:2s per week. The manufacturers selling thousand dollar IEMs are just hoping their top pf the range has sales, as in plural/more than one, every week.

If you are making tens of thousands of units per quarter in China, the cost can get pretty low and still be profitable. If you are making a hundred things per year it is the opposite effect.

Of course, great to be Sennheiser who is selling thousands of units for hundreds of dollars.

JDS

This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM. It was kindly donated by a member and costs US $22 ($20 on Amazon now).
View attachment 332422
The molded plastic looks cheep and the left and right markings barely visible. The included tip was extra soft/thin which may be a good thing for comfort but made for very difficult measurements. You could easily deform it to the point of it blocking most of the sound in the fixture. When I wore them on my ear though, the fit was excellent and with their light weight, I could barely feel them.

7Hz Salnotes Zero Measurements
Per above, I had a heck of a time measuring these IEMs but as if by magic, I toughed the off channel once and it created perfect fit and alignment with the other channel:

View attachment 332424
As you see, compliance with our target is excellence. There is a peak around 12.7 kHz but the fixture is not accurate in that region so don't know if that is extra energy there or not.

Here is the deviation from our target:
View attachment 332425
Headphone/IEM measurements are not accurate enough for these differences to be descriptive but you are welcome to try to tune further with EQ.

Distortion was impressively low other than a resonance around 1 kHz that was still quite low:
View attachment 332426

Here it is in absolute:
View attachment 332427

Group delay is very clean other than another indication of something going on around 1 kHz:
View attachment 332428

Impedance is flat and low:
View attachment 332429

Combined with average sensitivity, you should have no trouble using this IEM with just about any source:
View attachment 332430

On my RME ADI-2 Pro, relatively loud listening was around -25 dB.

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Listening Tests
I always use the same tracks in my listening tests to allow good familiarity with their tonality. It took all of 2 seconds to realize this is the same accurate, neutral response I like to hear. Track after track confirmed the same. I was at times surprised by the good externalization/spatial effects of this IEM. Sub-bass reproduction was excellent for an IEM and overall fidelity beyond belief at times.

I took a shot at equalizing the peak at 12.7 kHz. Unfortunately I can't easily do that by eye. Trying anyway, with narrow Q, it made no audible difference. With wider Q, it may have gone past the peak in the response. There, some highs/brilliance were taken away. I could see someone liking it better that way but I liked it without.

Conclusions
Technically the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM is excellent. It has almost perfect tonality and combined with low distortion and excellent spatial qualities, it puts a smile on my face. The plastic is a bit cheap and so are the tips. But once I wore them, all of that was forgotten.

I am happy to put the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM on my recommended list. So much fidelity for so little money!

P.S. I bought this a year ago and only now getting to testing it! Since then, there is a new version called Zero 2. May get that to test as well.
------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
If I hadn't already bought (and been very happy with) the Crinacle Blue, I'd be all over these. Excellent sound has never before been remotely this affordable.

GPJ

Really great review Amir!

I just received the Zero 2 and while very good, I find the original Zero better. My four most frequently used IEM's and personal ranking are this:

1. 7Hz Zero
2. Truther RED
3. 7Hz Zero 2
4. Truthear BLUE

I find the original Zero to be nearly perfectly balanced, no-EQ. Extremely good with well mastered material. A magnificent bargain in audio. Probably the best in my memory.

MCH

Major Contributor
To provide additional perspective, they could be get at 14eur shipped from China tax included these last sales weeks.

mc.god

To provide additional perspective, they could be get at 14eur shipped from China tax included these last sales weeks.
Maybe the chance to get my backup unit

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I own 3 x 7Hz Zero and waiting for my first 7Hz Zero 2. Do I like them? :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Question is whether their default FR is the same without the DSP or whether it is involved, like Audeze had back then when they just released their first planar IEMs (Sine 10/20)
I think the May come with a few DSP profiles (there are measurements of a bass one and one with it cut a bit). I've got a pair coming so will post the different profile settings from the app. That will give an indication of the stock response when we compare the filters used to the measured output (there are some measured curves on moondrop site though not I fear 711 compliant.).

capslock

I believe Linsoul are selling it exclusively (apart from Crinacle's own shop in Singapore) at launch... https://www.linsoul.com/products/7hz-x-crinacle-zero-2

You should also be able to purchase via Linsoul's Amazon stores...

View attachment 332779

However, you pay a premium, at least in the UK - $24.99 = £19.92, but Amazon UK price is £25.99 and I don't think you get it any quicker for this. I ordered directly from the Linsoul store - wondering if it will ever turn up it part of the fun! (that's a joke, i'm sure it will!)
Thanks. The reason why I missed it is that the Zero 2 does not go by Salnotes on Amazon.de and Aliexpress. It even was a little cheaper on Amazon, which is unusual.

cbracer

Forum Donor
I just received the Zero 2 and while very good, I find the original Zero better. My four most frequently used IEM's and personal ranking are this:
1. 7Hz Zero
2. Truther RED
3. 7Hz Zero 2
4. Truthear BLUE
I could not agree more. Happy to see Amir finally tested the IEMs which I like and have used since I got the Truthear Blue as well. Funny to see now the 7Hz Salnotes gets some respect. For me the Blue had too much bass. And as such I suspect the 7Hz Salnotes 2 will also. If you love bass that detracts away from other frequencies then the Blue is your friend. I also had a problem with the Truthear Blue which is preventing me from buying the Red..... the size of the earpiece that actually goes into your ear is too big for me. The Blue was uncomfortable with any of the tips after about 30 minutes. The 7Hz Salnotes is smaller on the cylinder that goes into your ear, although they are bigger in general and don't look as nice when in your ear. But that's fine with me, I care more about sound and comfort.

Top Bottom