• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e Audio TPA3255 Amplifier Kit 480-1-29A Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 43 18.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 174 76.7%

• Total voters

TNT

An analogous continuous argument can be made that >15kHz doesn't matter much, >25khHz even less, and so on so fourth. And I personally agree that. I believe Amirm is also using some sort of LPF to filter out the HF noises(sth like >40kHz).

But the problem is, none of these measurements have much causal relationship to "good" sound quality. This amp has "less distortion" under few particular sets of tests, but that's pretty much it. Still better than no measurements at all, but can't interpret to much into it as well.
I can assure you that there will never be a set of measurements of an amp that will secure good sound out of your speakers. The measurements are solely to describe how the amp performs its amplification function - nothing else.

//

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Attachments

• 20221223_152059.jpg
    20221223_152059.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 20221223_151829.jpg
    20221223_151829.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 178
  • 20221223_151400.jpg
    20221223_151400.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 185
  • 20221223_151610.jpg
    20221223_151610.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 185

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can assure you that there will never be a set of measurements of an amp that will secure good sound out of your speakers. The measurements are solely to describe how the amp performs its amplification function - nothing else.

//
Can you?

What is it in the waveform that makes good sound?

What characteristics of an amp, what specifications, make good sound.

Do you think these things can't be measured?

RDoc

//
Umm.. What other function does a power amplifier have?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Just minimalist case design. Screws are countersunk.
All those slots in the base age good for airflow but break the path for conducting heat to the rest of the case. The effective heatsinking area is barely bigger than the heat spreaders. I guess someone will have to do some tests to find out whether that's a problem or not.

bigjacko

All those slots in the base age good for airflow but break the path for conducting heat to the rest of the case. The effective heatsinking area is barely bigger than the heat spreaders. I guess someone will have to do some tests to find out whether that's a problem or not.
Actually I have touched the top plate for a few times and noticed it was quite hot, so conduction is good.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ask antcollinet (#207) - I dont see any other...

//
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I was asking you to validate your "I can assure. you..." statement. If you can assure us good measurements won't give good sound, you must have some idea what aspects of an amplifier will.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sabaj A30a has PFFB with Axign AX5689 full digital layout and it is pretty high, about 25W in idle. Link
So an amp has a bunch of circuits in it, and a different chip, but also has PFFB. It has high power consumption. What makes you assume PFFB is the cause? Rather than, say, the completely different main power consuming chip amp? Or perhaps it has an inefficient power supply, or, or ...

Because PFFB is just feeding back a lower power measurement of the output back to the input of the amp. The only difference to other chip amps is the measurement is taken after the filter instead of before it. The designer has to be cleverer to make that work because he has to compensate all the phase shifts created by the filter - but there is nothing in that approach that will result in higher power consumption. It's just resistors, capacitors and possibly op amps. Just like Pre filter feedback.

TNT

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I was asking you to validate your "I can assure. you..." statement. If you can assure us good measurements won't give good sound, you must have some idea what aspects of an amplifier will.
The only thing that can be measured wrt. an amplifier is that it reproduced the input exactly + some gain. How your system would sound with such an amplifier in the chain is anybody's guess. And if it existed and was present in your system driving your speakers it would not mean that the sound from the system would be great.

//

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing that can be measured wrt. an amplifier is that it reproduced the input exactly + some gain
Have you not seen all the measurements done here? Distortion (harmonic and IMD) at different levels and frequencies, multitone test, frequency response, noise, dynamic range, etc etc..

We not only know that the amp doesn't reproduce the input exactly - we know by how much, and how likely that is to be audible.

No, a good measuring amp doesn't guarantee good sound from a system - since that is primarily impacted by speakers and room. But we do know if an amp is going to be detracting from the sound.

mike70

Have you not seen all the measurements done here? Distortion (harmonic and IMD) at different levels and frequencies, multitone test, frequency response, noise, dynamic range, etc etc..

We not only know that the amp doesn't reproduce the input exactly - we know by how much, and how likely that is to be audible.

No, a good measuring amp doesn't guarantee good sound from a system - since that is primarily impacted by speakers and room. But we do know if an amp is going to be detracting from the sound.

and ... even more important ... that you don't pay 10x price tag for the same engineering (or less).
Anyone who wants to pay branding, audio jewelry ... it's ok, but no as the result of ignorance. I think that's the great value here in ASR.

daniboun

Major Contributor
and ... even more important ... that you don't pay 10x price tag for the same engineering (or less).
Anyone who wants to pay branding, audio jewelry ... it's ok, but no as the result of ignorance. I think that's the great value here in ASR.

I fully agree with you on this point) Well summarized I admit)
This is how ASR helps us make the right choices at the right prices:)

musicforcities

this looks very promising for my 1+1's.
power and don't care attitude about the impedance.
Oooooh…acoustat 1+1? I would to be to have a pair of those. Can you really run them with the 3e monos to reasonable levels (well the 1+1 don’t go that loud but still.