• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Watch out…the alienating thought police are going to tear your comment to shreds! :)

Why bother? On this (rather decent) forum software it's just tap > ignore.

Newman

Major Contributor
@Axo1989 it was just a joke about the reference to pantyhose, and how it is not exactly gender-neutral either…:cool:

PS glad to see you haven’t Ignored me…yet ;)

Axo1989

Major Contributor
@Axo1989 it was just a joke about the reference to pantyhose, and how it is not exactly gender-neutral either…:cool:

PS glad to see you haven’t Ignored me…yet ;)

Haha, I wan't criticising your comment actually, just thinking that it's probably better (on this forum) to ignore sexist posters than engage in an argument. Confirming whether @Lsc falls in that category requires a larger sample/more reading on my part though.

Last edited:

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@MKR Just went back and looked at the pics you posted of the Soundfield prototype. Is there a side driver on the bass unit, cant quite make it out? What size is the front bass driver and subwoofer driver?
Is a completed version within your budget?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
@MKR Just went back and looked at the pics you posted of the Soundfield prototype. Is there a side driver on the bass unit, cant quite make it out? What size is the front bass driver and subwoofer driver?
Is a completed version within your budget?
As it is a passive cardioid design, those are the cardioid ports, one on each side. Both the cardioid (top) and sealed sub (bottom) drivers are 12”

Yes, within my budget

Last edited:

AudioJester

Forum Donor
As it is a passive cardioid design, those are the cardioid ports, one on each side. Both the cardioid (top) and sealed sub (bottom) drivers are 12”

Yes, within my budget

Thanks. Do you know the crossover point between bass driver and subwoofer?

Iam guessing you still dont have any measurements? Is AJ open to having them measured? Given the hstory here, Erin may be the only option.

Always apprehensive about these solo backyard vendors with big claims (previous bad experience). But looks like Soundfield as been up and running for 10 or so years. Still would have to be truly amazing to pick over say D&D8c or Salon2. Do you have any concerns?

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Thanks. Do you know the crossover point between bass driver and subwoofer?

Iam guessing you still dont have any measurements? Is AJ open to having them measured? Given the hstory here, Erin may be the only option.

Always apprehensive about these solo backyard vendors with big claims (previous bad experience). But looks like Soundfield as been up and running for 10 or so years. Still would have to be truly amazing to pick over say D&D8c or Salon2. Do you have any concerns?
I think AJ sent me some in-room measurements at some point, need to check my email. And I do know AJ plans to send one model of his to Erin at some point, but I do not know the details. Note I did grab a miniDSP UMIC last week and plan to try my hand at some in-room measurements with REW over weekend. Will publish if I happen to figure it out.

As to your concerns, AJ has been doing this a long time, including doing cardioid before just about anyone. AJ has given me ZERO reason at this point to have any concerns.

Who knows, maybe AJ will give me permission to ship the demos over to you after I am done, but you will have to speak to him directly about that ;)

Last edited:

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I think AJ sent me some in-room measurements at some point, need to check my email. And I do know AJ plans to send one model of his to Erin at some point, but I do not know the details. Note I did grab a miniDSP UMIC last week and plan to try my hand at some in-room measurements with REW over weekend. Will publish if I happen to figure it out.

As to your concerns, AJ has been doing this a long time, including doing cardioid before just about anyone. AJ has given me ZERO reason at this point to have any concerns.

Who knows, maybe AJ will give me permission to ship the demos over to you after I am done, but you will have to speak to him directly about that ;)

You know what, after seeing some measurements I would probbly be up for that. But Iam in Australia! We have lots of talented local speaker makers, but none with designs like this - except unaffordable spectacular Kyron.

Whats got me going is this seems like the natural evolution of my Lx521, Linkwitz was a genius and a gentleman.

Still need to get an idea of price range to put in context of established competition.

Reactions: MKR

AudioJester

Forum Donor
The really unique part of the design is the different directivity options - narrow/wide/omni. If each mode is constant in pattern - wow! Cant think of another speaker that does this. I guess we mimick some of it with multichannel/atmos ie going from narrow/wide to an omni experience.

MarkS

Major Contributor
The really unique part of the design is the different directivity options - narrow/wide/omni. If each mode is constant in pattern - wow! Cant think of another speaker that does this.

B&O Beolab 90:

But MSRP is $120,000/pair :(

Da cynics

When I posted on another thread, I took the liberty of assuming it was up to 200hz, but it's controlled to nearly 20hz...

Chris Brunhaver

Audio Company
I'm glad you like the speakers but the whole soundfield company's approach and drive unit selection is all over the map and looks more than a little DIY. The planar drivers that they are using appear to be from Beston in Taiwan (via Parts Express). While Meridian used a similar Beston driver in one of their in-wall speakers, my experience with them has been that they are prone to resonances and distortion. These are copies/derivatives of the HiVi RT1/RT2 that was developed by my old coworker Igor Levistsky but not as good as the originals.

midrange
tweeter

Last edited:

petezapie

Yeah that is the impression I get too. I talked to Soundfield a while back and the pricing was interesting, and I like the concept but it's hard to work out what you'll get in the end and the owner is a full time Civil Engineer. I am thinking it might be better to just go with something like a KH420. That is all in one and end game.
While selling used gear down the road is always a significant loss, i would be afraid resale on such a niche semi diy speaker would be near impossible.

prestigetone

While selling used gear down the road is always a significant loss, i would be afraid resale on such a niche semi diy speaker would be near impossible.
Oh you would be lucky to sell it for 25% of what you paid. I've sold stuff that is more widely known than these and you lose a lot. If you'r thinking about selling gear always buy widely available products in your country with a robust distribution channel.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

prestigetone

His stock just went up a bit in my book.
Why is that? Side note, why does it take manufacturers so long to get their product to amir or avoid publishing the results. I am interested in Prometheus audio, at least I think that's their name, and they supposedly have the best measuring speaker ever from an ASR test but the results were never made public and it's been a year. Fully realize that they want good results to be out there but might be nice to see the progress otherwise it just makes me wonder

Gringoaudio1

Forum Donor
Why is that? Side note, why does it take manufacturers so long to get their product to amir or avoid publishing the results. I am interested in Prometheus audio, at least I think that's their name, and they supposedly have the best measuring speaker ever from an ASR test but the results were never made public and it's been a year. Fully realize that they want good results to be out there but might be nice to see the progress otherwise it just makes me wonder
Amir tests products sent in by members. Almost nothing tested has been sent in by manufacturers. Topping and a couple of others excluded. That’s not the model here.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t believe Amir has measured the Prometheus speaker?
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom