• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help choosing passive speakers for my first setup!

Grampus

Hi all, currently putting together a turntable setup for a small room, about 10ft by 10ft. Ideally I would like this setup to be able to school for when I move out of my current space and will relocate this setup into a larger living room. I listen to really, all types of music and I'd like to think my preferences lean toward detailed, wide sound stage, fairly neutral but a bit more towards warm. I also plan to add a sub in the future, but would appreciate reasonable mid bass in the mean time of course.

Right now my plan is as follows
  • Fluance RT82 Turntable
  • Schiit Mani 2 Phono Preamp
  • Yamaha AS501 Integrated Amplifier
And then I'm stuck on the speakers. I've looked through the reviews here and on Erin's audio corner, as well as elsewhere but can't seem to come to a decision. The speakers I'm considering are:
  • Elac DBR62 - Seem to be highly praised by Amir, although they seem quite controversial among audiophiles, and also worried about how difficult they might be to drive.
  • Elac DB6.2
  • Emotiva B1+/B2+ - Honestly, I just think they're very ugly.
  • Wharfdale Diamond 12.1/12.2 - They seem to lack dynamic range, but laid back speaker.
  • KEF 150 / 350
  • Wharfdale Denton 80th
  • Klipsch RP-600M II
I'm also open to speakers outside of these, this is just what I've found on my own prerogative.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions and advice!

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, currently putting together a turntable setup for a small room, about 10ft by 10ft. Ideally I would like this setup to be able to school for when I move out of my current space and will relocate this setup into a larger living room. I listen to really, all types of music and I'd like to think my preferences lean toward detailed, wide sound stage, fairly neutral but a bit more towards warm. I also plan to add a sub in the future, but would appreciate reasonable mid bass in the mean time of course.

Right now my plan is as follows
  • Fluance RT82 Turntable
  • Schiit Mani 2 Phono Preamp
  • Yamaha AS501 Integrated Amplifier
And then I'm stuck on the speakers. I've looked through the reviews here and on Erin's audio corner, as well as elsewhere but can't seem to come to a decision. The speakers I'm considering are:
  • Elac DBR62 - Seem to be highly praised by Amir, although they seem quite controversial among audiophiles, and also worried about how difficult they might be to drive.
  • Elac DB6.2
  • Emotiva B1+/B2+ - Honestly, I just think they're very ugly.
  • Wharfdale Diamond 12.1/12.2 - They seem to lack dynamic range, but laid back speaker.
  • KEF 150 / 350
  • Wharfdale Denton 80th
  • Klipsch RP-600M II
I'm also open to speakers outside of these, this is just what I've found on my own prerogative.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions and advice!
I think speakers are unlike other hifi components in that each has a sound signature that results from a variety of factors such as frequency response, resonances, distortion and others. Room interactions play a huge role also, as do your listening position relative to the speakers and the kind of music you prefer.

Bottom line is that recommending speakers to someone on an internet message board is fraught. I'd recommend reviewing the testing reports available here and at Erin's Audio Corner to find a few well-reviewed models that suit your budget and then go listen to them. Understand that even then the room interactions will make them sound different when you get them home, so a good return policy by the retailer will be important.

Top Bottom