• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
SPL is created by displacement volume. W371 has 70% more cone area but Salon2 drivers may have more stroke. There can be no logical conclusion. Plus W371 may have less output due to cardioid processing.
Yup, this ... As I stated previously, there is more to this story than just driver area. And again, with no measurements of W371, all conjecture.

3125b

Major Contributor
2) how do you know that it’s more powerful? Can we see your data?
It figures. It has 800Wrms amps, 177l cabinet volume and is ported. Genelec spec says 123dBSPL burst @1m (100-500Hz). That does seem realistic compared to subwoofers, the 12" (same as the W371 subwoofer driver) Monoprice for example can do 115dB @2m.

For the Salon2 there are some figures here, although the text is somewhat jumbled: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/revels-salon2-super-speaker-model-page-2
107dB peak in-room at 50Hz is what I read from that, unclear whether that goes for one speaker or a pair.
That is quite impressive, but also quite far from what the W371 will be able to do - or any decently sized modern DSP sub for that matter. And I'm not talking big guns here, you'd need 10 Salon2 to match the output of one 16" Monoprice.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: MKR

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SPL is created by displacement volume. W371 has 70% more cone area but Salon2 drivers may have more stroke. There can be no logical conclusion. Plus W371 may have less output due to cardioid processing.
OK, but you're not saying anything new. It doesn't really make sense to assume the Salon2 drivers have more excursion. I don't understand why everyone always wants to just assume by default the Salon 2 has some huge advantage. Is it just due to marketing and it being the high end of Revel's line? Bias towards passive speakers due to Amir's illogical listening test conclusions? I don't get it.

I've already covered all the rest. There isn't any cardioid processing in complementary mode apparently, either.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
It figures. It has 800Wrms amps, 177l cabinet volume and is ported. Genelec spec says 123dBSPL burst @1m (100-500Hz). That does seem realistic compared to subwoofers, the 12" (same as the W371 subwoofer driver) Monoprice for example can do 115dB @2m.

For the Salon2 there are some figures here, although the text is somewhat jumbled: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/revels-salon2-super-speaker-model-page-2
107dB peak in-room at 50Hz is what I read from that, unclear whether that goes for one speaker or a pair.
That is quite impressive, but also quite far from what the W371 will be able to do - or any decently sized modern DSP sub.
Let's try to keep it apples vs apples ... You are comparing a SUBWOOFER, the 371 (yeah, I know, Genelec doesn't call it a subwoofer, whatever :)) that has been added to the mains (8351/8361) which equates to higher LF output vs Salon 2. Of course. Rather, compare only the 8351/8361 to the Salon 2s (sans the 371), or add the equivalent subwoofer capability to Salon 2s and then compare to the 371 combo. Then what are the results? My (subjective) guess is Salon 2 plus subs is still less expensive than 83xx/371, and you may have equal or better performance.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, but you're not saying anything new. It doesn't really make sense to assume the Salon2 drivers have more excursion. I don't understand why everyone always wants to just assume by default the Salon 2 has some huge advantage. Is it just due to marketing and it being the high end of Revel's line? Bias towards passive speakers due to Amir's illogical listening test conclusions? I don't get it.

I've already covered all the rest. There isn't any cardioid processing in complementary mode apparently, either.
May I crash through your glass ceiling? I have Salon2 and demoed W371 with 8051B in the same room, mine.

I kept the Salon2…

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I crash through your glass ceiling? I have Salon2 and demoed W371 with 8051B in the same room, mine.

I kept the Salon2…
Why is that every time you post on this forum, you have to act this way? If you disagree with me based on your subjective impressions, you could have simply said so in one post, in two sentences, "I demoed these two speakers and I thought that X played louder, or about the same". Very simple.

Instead you feel a need to deliberately attempt to create combative back-and-forths where there is no need for them in the first place. And don't pretend that I'm the first person to notice this, or that you don't know what you're doing. I'm not going to participate anymore.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
All,

Let's just everyone take a step back here, we are all in pursuit of sonic perfection, and there are different paths to that "perfection" for all of us. Please let's be respectful of one another's chosen paths (that advice goes for me also!).

This has been a great thread, let's all work together to keep it from going sideways.

Thanks

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is that every time you post on this forum, you have to act this way? If you disagree with me based on your subjective impressions, you could have simply said so in one post, in two sentences, "I demoed these two speakers and I thought that X played louder, or about the same". Very simple.
I did and both played as loud as I wanted to go.

To clarify, I still insist that there’s no data about the maximum SPL capacity of Salon2. All I wanted to say that in a domestic music listening scenario both have no limits.

3125b

Major Contributor
I didn‘t come up with that comparison. The silly thing is to question wether full range floorstanders can keep up with subwoofers (or bass modules or whatever the W371 is) in terms of SPL and LF extension. Of course they can‘t. And of course that‘s not the point. It is a silly discussion indeed,

Some more comprehensive reviews of high-end speakers would really come in handy though, we do really lack dependable numbers there.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All,

Let's just everyone take a step back here, we are all in pursuit of sonic perfection, and there are different paths to that "perfection" for all of us. Please let's be respectful of one another's chosen paths (that advice goes for me also!).

This has been a great thread, let's all work together to keep it from going sideways.

Thanks
ai ya! LoL>>!!! EMOTIONAL DAMAGE!

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always made a beeline for the big JBLs at Munich but neither the 9900s or the Everests really impressed are there any measurements around?
I had the S9900s in my home for a week on loan and owned a pair of the Everests for a number of years. I personally would take either over the Salons, but would understand why others would pick the Revels instead.

Regarding measurements, I am sure there are boatloads of speakers that measure better than these big JBLs in the DI department... but in my opinion measurements don't tell the whole story. Every speaker is a pile of compromises. Ideally we get to pick the compromises we can best live with.

goskers

Good stuff sir. Did you own the Salon 2s at one point also (or any others on my short list)? If yes, would really appreciate your subjective impressions vs the Ones.

Thanks!
I have owned Geddes, Salon 2 and M2. No direct comparison between any and the 8361. All great in their own regards.

Most still want to argue amps, cables, and electronics. Kind of need to determine what one is truly looking for.

Digby

Major Contributor
Geddes, Salon 2 and M2. No direct comparison between any and the 8361.
I'd like to know how these compare, in your opinion, pros and cons of each. Which speakers are you using now?

Senior NEET Engineer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Speakers don’t make much difference imo. Find the dispersion style and output capability you want, filter by speakers that measure decently, and pick the one that looks the best in your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom