• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

mglobe

Forum Donor
Listen to these beauties. 6 kW. No additional amps required.

I’m sure with your eyes closed they are beautiful. ;-)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh wow. This thread is still going on. Haha.

Yeah Genelec basically solved my problem. But I don’t have 70k euros and I don’t even have the difference if they let me trade up.

I told you guys they clip on just mids - just vocals.

In the meantime I have set realistic expectations and moved the 8361/w371 much closer and I find myself very happy.

In fact I had to travel and took a break from them. All I had on my mind was to get back and fire them up. When I did it blew my mind like it was brand new to me again.

Also I went back and read Ikka’s comments about 8361 vs 8351 with w371. I misread his comments and everything he said is factual. The entire basis requiring me to set the lower crossover to something like 150Hz instead of 250Hz which it picks automatically. That would make the 8361 bass driver actually do some work and take load off the w371.

I’ve made my peace with this system and anybody who wants it will have to pry it away my from cold dead hands.

I wish I could afford this 8381a. But I’ve accepted I probably can’t for some years. I mean it’s more than double the 8361 + w371. All to get an extra 7dB it seems.

I’m very curious about how the 4 mid drivers sum up to a point source radiator. Do they not interfere or cause comb filtering?

I really wonder how they work. Also I wonder how a shoot out between this and the Beosound 90 would go.

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m sure with your eyes closed they are beautiful. ;-)
Yeah I have to say the final part of my setup would involve placing a sheer black curtain in front of the set.

The 8341 could disappear so well it was incredible. These really cannot “disappear” as the visual presence is just in your face.

I have them literally about 50” away from me at this point. I can reach my foot out and touch them.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Last edited:

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
You probably cannot Klippel these. Which is good news for our host @amirm.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great way to tell wife it was reasonable to buy the 8361 :cool:
It actually is. The 8351 and 8361 are incredible value. It’s seems expensive until you realize what level it is playing on.

Basically it’s like a gift. Even the 8341 is simply incredible. Now we see what this kind of sound scaled up costs.

Can’t help it with our logarithmic hearing curves. It takes 10x energy to get 2x perceived level. So this system doing about 5x of the output of a 83x1/w371 at about 2.5x the price is actually a “deal”.

That’s just the power output but also the level of engineering and thought that had to go into creating these solutions to get that extra 7dB.

I wonder if the center coax is the same as the 8351/61. Maybe. However it seems it gets more output due to the wave guide?

Would like to learn more about how the 4 mid woofers sum up to create a point source.

That part is confusing. Do the waves not interfere? And why? Is there some beam forming going on? I wonder what kind of techno magic is needed to get them to perform as a point source. Does it then lock you into a position?

Very curious to learn how this works.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have never seen a Klippel measurement of a Magico speaker, not on the Magico site at least?
Keith

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never seen a Klippel measurement of a Magico speaker, not on the Magico site at least?
Keith
They don’t seem to publish it, but do provide it to reviewers and presumably people who ask.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Wonder why they don’t post them, Magico are amongst the better measuring ‘hi-end’ manufacturers.
Presumably the typical Magico customer doesn’t care/isn’t interested.
Keith

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wonder why they don’t post them, Magico are amongst the better measuring ‘hi-end’ manufacturers.
Keith

I don’t think it looks as good as a DSP based design and it may be hard to explain. I also suspect that older models are less impressive than newer models and it will take a full generational refresh before they will want to do it.

Heck, even JBL and Revel do not use the spin data in their consumer facing marketing materials.

Lsc

Keith
I’d Magico customers are probably more knowledgeable than your average Best Buy going customer. Folks aren’t buying shelling out all that dough for their amazing looks :).

benanders

It actually is. The 8351 and 8361 are incredible value. It’s seems expensive until you realize what level it is playing on.

... Now we see what this kind of sound scaled up costs.

Can’t help it with our logarithmic hearing curves. It takes 10x energy to get 2x perceived level. So this system doing about 5x of the output of a 83x1/w371 at about 2.5x the price is actually a “deal”.

That’s just the power output but also the level of engineering and thought that had to go into creating these solutions to get that extra 7dB.

I’m still unclear why such high listening levels are a priority in-home for anyone, especially given the expense. Is it because an unnaturally flat FR from well-measuring high end speakers (compared to PA kit at live venues) tricks our ears into feeling like the sound is lower than it actually is? Or is it because folks are doing what I used to do in my car as a teenager: damage my ears for not realizing maddeningly high SPL does not necessarily impart live venue tactile impact, the latter being the true experience-of-desire I was incorrectly pursuing via said high SPL?

Most consumer audio is sufficiently compressed that such high SPL speakers shouldn’t make a realistic difference in perception even for well-recorded orchestral tracks, since at typical sitting-distance in a symphony, you wouldn’t hear in excess of 100 dB from anything, anyway. Your ears wouldn’t be right next to every instrument in the ensemble, after all.

The thought of justifying ten$ of thousand$ on a handful of decibels for in-home, one-person high fidelity playback baffles me.
Not picking or judging, mind you; just asking: Why? I’ve heard the live-loudness facsimile stance and it doesn’t seem to hold in the real world, since audio that’s been studio-manicured for device-mediated playback by consumers is simply a different animal than live audio. I’ve heard plenty of the high end > 100 dB demos, and even in seemingly well-treated rooms, I’m not seeing hearing the point. What am I still missing?

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
I'll see your Genelec and raise you a Perlisten...

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m still unclear why such high listening levels are a priority in-home for anyone, especially given the expense. Is it because an unnaturally flat FR from well-measuring high end speakers (compared to PA kit at live venues) tricks our ears into feeling like the sound is lower than it actually is? Or is it because folks are doing what I used to do in my car as a teenager: damage my ears for not realizing maddeningly high SPL does not necessarily impart live venue tactile impact, the latter being the true experience-of-desire I was incorrectly pursuing via said high SPL?

Most consumer audio is sufficiently compressed that such high SPL speakers shouldn’t make a realistic difference in perception even for well-recorded orchestral tracks, since at typical sitting-distance in a symphony, you wouldn’t hear in excess of 100 dB from anything, anyway. Your ears wouldn’t be right next to every instrument in the ensemble, after all.

The thought of justifying ten$ of thousand$ on a handful of decibels for in-home, one-person high fidelity playback baffles me.
Not picking or judging, mind you; just asking: Why? I’ve heard the live-loudness facsimile stance and it doesn’t seem to hold in the real world, since audio that’s been studio-manicured for device-mediated playback by consumers is simply a different animal than live audio. I’ve heard plenty of the high end > 100 dB demos, and even in seemingly well-treated rooms, I’m not seeing hearing the point. What am I still missing?
I think the assumption you’re making is that i’m listening to classical music.

Yes some songs and pieces get so loud I need to turn it down. If there is a lot of spectral content in the most sensitive midrange octaves you have to turn it down or get a headache.

Now when it comes to rock or pop why do those concerts play at 120dB? Why aren’t people running away?

That music is mixed for those levels. It’s pleasurable. But if someone mixes in a flute at high level oh boy you better turn it down.

No even at the levels I listen at it doesn’t sound “live” that impact is not there and i’m not really going for it. However I will try it and see if it allows me to reduce my levels.

So I propose to integrate the 2 7360s I have with a Trinnov Nova 4 channel unit and put them behind me. I will keep them until I sell them and replace them with Rhythmik subs to save on cost.

But really that live feeling or thump isn’t the goal.

It’s just that if you heard how clean these are and distortion free you just can’t get enough of it.

I’ve heard cheaper systems get loud. I mean they get really loud but I think the perception is that it is loud because it’s mostly dirty and filled with distortion. But when it’s clean like this you really cannot get enough of it.

There is no mushing up of instruments. Everything is in its rightful place right up until the lights come on and it goes into protection. It’s just that clean.

I’ve cut back to be satisfied around 111dB these days and that allows this system sufficient headroom and no lights.

I only listen on weekends and really it’s better than any concert I’ve been to. It’s just an invitation to a studio event at near rock concert levels.

I think the studio recording aspect of it actually helps with this. A live recording might someone screaming somewhere and you need to turn it down. These studio recordings are really clean.

As for the car really I don’t listen in the car anymore as this system has spoiled me. Even on my trips I don’t bother using my earbuds anymore. They are good for walks, runs and workouts only for me.

I’ll admit I used to do that teenage thing and those car systems are set up to rattle everything. Mostly what you get is distortion and it sounds loud and it “thumps”. The door cards rattle and make seem loud. It’s just distortion. This is just so clean I can’t describe it. Maybe I can. It’s like having Etymotic ER4s on but in a real space. It’s just so clean and tight. This bass is so damn tight. The presentation is in front of you.

I even use the GRADE report to find my room decay problem frequencies and hit them with a high Q filter and drop them by about 9dB. The bass is so damn tight and tuneful.

It’s not like my old honking booming distorting systems which sound loud with huge +10dB peaks in the under 100Hz region.

This just doesn’t sound loud even though it’s putting out around 111dB at my mic position. It sounds amazing. Clean.

I’ll start at about 90dB but a few songs in and I’ll have turned that knob up to 100+dB.

I will also admit that having a few rounds doesn’t help with this problem.

I just can’t get enough of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom