• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3-Body Problem

Sokel

Master Contributor
Finished the season and...
I'll wait cause I don't want to spoil but two things:
- over-use or under-use of imagination so someone to take a blame.
-great sense of the proper atmosphere of the story in some scenes (like in China locations) only to collapse right at the next one.

Pity,it could be way nicer.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
Just finished today. I had not read the books, but I mostly enjoyed the series.

The only thing that grated on me was the music. Within 10 seconds of the opening titles, I could tell that Weiss and Benioff once again used Ramin Djawadi, who is one of the laziest composers out there in terms of recycling a small handful of ideas. If you compare the 3 Body Problem theme against Game of Thrones and Westworld, you'll see what I mean.

i just finished it too

to me this show has issues but to me it did not show much of the B&W trademark (whatever that may be) and the music could have been anyone... it has no signature... at best its a very very weak GoT/Westworld kind of thing...

i found pacing off but that's not a big deal given pacing isnt something the books were famous or infamous for

i think the show sort of revolves around sympathetic characters... i liked the benedict wong detective and most of them characters carried the show... but this shouldnt be surprising given that the GoT 2ndary cast is largely here... I love how Jonathan Pryce chews up scenery... Rosalind Chao... Liam Cunningham... the cast outpaces the script...

auggie i didnt mind too much given i have worked with semi autistic genius PhD candidates in their field - this tracks

this thread as it was seems a lot like 'old man shouts at clouds'... people want shows to cater to 'their expectations' and theirs alone and really, how is that normal?

i remember 10yrs ago, 15yrs ago old guys, literally had the same argument, anything but strong male characters is triggering.... and yet things dont change.

This is a good show... its not great... at worst its a little above mediocre which I accept.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a good show... its not great... at worst its a little above mediocre which I accept.
I can agree with that. The fact that I slept through about half of it says enough to me :facepalm:. It’s wasn’t bad enough to pay attention to, and it wasn’t good enough to keep me awake either ;) I feel quite a bit of cast talent was wasted here… Let’s see if they can do a bit better next season.

Benioff and Weiss again show what they are (in)capable of: making decent loose adaptations of solid source material. They were lucky on the first GoT seasons, then started showing their true colors. I see this as a continuation of where they left off.

I also find it baffling that people still make arguments against point nobody made.

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm in two minds about producers, directors, screenplay READING and immersing themselves in the books

is this an expectation of people who have 'important things to do'?

esp. given this is Cixin Lui we are talking about

i think this sort of thing is the best you are going to get on some mediocre folks working with good actors to produce a show for a modern audience

the modern netflix audience is probably not me

i'm of the opinion the audience is probbably not too removed from folks expecting some kind of Will Smiff "Independence Day" kind of thing.

I think realistically this will never suit a lot of folks in the same way that Game of Thrones did not work for a lot of "A Song and Ice and FIre" fans.

GoT had a budget a million times this and even that petered out pretty quick.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I only made it about half way through the first book, but I enjoyed the TV series and I hope they continue and finish the remaining books.

Now watching Devs, which I'd not heard of until seeing this thread; after all you can never have too much Ron Swanson.

1711888610810.gif

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
To be honest I see why it could seem like it's lower budget show, some of the CGI was really low quality, even for a series and there's not much going on as far as scenography outside of the vr game parts, though retrospectives from China were really well made

nebunebu

Starting of with the 3-4 episodes I like it very much. What kind burst my bubble was the 400 years until arrival problem.
For me it's now just a question of: how long will this show run for?
I like my series limited for a 2-3 seasons, this one has a potential to be milked "indefinitely".

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Starting of with the 3-4 episodes I like it very much. What kind burst my bubble was the 400 years until arrival problem.
For me it's now just a question of: how long will this show run for?
I like my series limited for a 2-3 seasons, this one has a potential to be milked "indefinitely".
It's based on a series of books, so unless they go way off piste, it should be OK.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just finished up the series this evening in a semi binge of 3 episodes. It's good science fiction in my opinion. If critics don't like it, who are they but someone who criticizes. If you get confused go back and watch the last 15 minutes of the 5th episode.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
theres one bit that had me incredulous

to avoid spoilers they had to retrieve an article from an enemy ship and they go about it in any extremely novel and violent manner that results in huge loss of innocent life and materiel

also the name of the ship is hugely 'on the nose'

in a normal world they would rappel in seal team six off a stealth blackhawk or use rubber zodiacs with machine guns to intercept in the dead of night but these guys???

let us use some space age tech to annihilate a ship and everyone on board... in broad daylight

ALSO Auggie is the only one who objects to this apparent war crime which is odd...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
in a normal world they would rappel in seal team six off a stealth blackhawk or use rubber zodiacs with machine guns to intercept in the dead of night but these guys???
It wasn't a normal world.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I watched the last four episodes last night. And that was possible because I could skip so many predictable and non-meaning scenes.

I felt no connection to the dying kid. And that goes for most characters; so bland. I'm sad because of it, there was so much potential. I got flashbacks to GoT, and the D&D curse.. There was just such a lack of character development while trying to pace through so much plot that it feels rushed.

Unfortunately I would not recommend this series to anyone.

Top Bottom