• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Shogun

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I've never watched the 1980 version but I think this video below might be of interest for people who have;

A nerdy and very interesting point of view. One of the standout differences between 1980 and 2024, besides all the superficial stuff, is how the Japanese dialog (the majority of dialog on screen) is being handled.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
A nerdy and very interesting point of view. One of the standout differences between 1980 and 2024, besides all the superficial stuff, is how the Japanese dialog (the majority of dialog on screen) is being handled.
Are you guys aware if you go to the “Extras” section on Disney + Streaming Services there is a full episode English Dub version of every episode. I watch the original version first and then watch the English Dub version in case I missed something. Just FYI. ;)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm up to speed and waiting for the final two eps

this show lives and dies on the japanese characters because they have to act thru the subtitles, except mariko... and sanada can speak english so i thought the screenwriters may let him 'quick learn' english

but the four main cast members truly are charismatic esp. yabushige, toronaga's executive officer

i do feel like this is kind of falling into a trope where we must trust in the 'grand plan' of Toronaga and its going to be cataclyismic but its kind of way too 'hollywood' for my liking

and the thing with his brother... yeesh...

Zim

Forum Donor
i do feel like this is kind of falling into a trope where we must trust in the 'grand plan' of Toronaga and its going to be cataclyismic but its kind of way too 'hollywood' for my liking
That's fascinating. I found the show overall less "Hollywood" (i.e. white saviour complex) and being more "Japanese". But can't really pinpoint myself why (I watch a bunch of Japanese shows, probably equally as much as film/series from Hollywood).

There's been a fair amount of coverage from the Japanese audience, praising the authenticity of the show unlike the 80's version. That all said, not being Japanese myself, I'll defer to the Japanese-born-and-raised Japanese to say if it depicts Japanese society/culture/demeanour/drama at the time accurately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom