• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3-Body Problem

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Watching this new series on Netflix. Trying hard not to binge watch, something I don't usually do. I read the book a while back and don't remember it very well.... I find the show very, very , very good... even superb, yet, the reviews are .. well ... not that enthusiastic.. It seems that the Show/Series/Movies must stick to the book to be deemed good... This series doesn't, but stands on its own and is a must watch... So far at episode 5, I looove it..

What do you think People!

Peace

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi

Watching this new series on Netflix. Trying hard not to binge watch, something I don't usually do. I read the book a while back and don't remember it very well.... I find the show very, very , very good... even superb, yet, the reviews are .. well ... not that enthusiastic.. It seems that if the Show/Series/Movies must stick to the book to be deemed good... This series doesn't, but stands on its own and is a must watch... So far at episode 5, I looove it..

Peace
(body)

Looks promising but slow.
Let's see...

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Not started it yet, I’m currently watching Constellation on Apple TV, up to episode 7 with final episode this Wednesday and it’s quite a mind f**k but worth watching, kinda similar premise to 3body problem I expect.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seen 3 episodes so far. It’s indeed not the exact story from the books. It’s a bit slow, but given the reviews I expected worse. So far it was fairly enjoyable.

Last edited:
OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(body)

Looks promising but slow.
Let's see...
Don't mind "slow".. I believe that we need to learn to pace ourselves and just ..enjoy... not always rushing to the finish. Nor do I mind that it deviates from the books ... Which by the way I will re-read :)

And now while watching Ep.6. My internet access went down :(

Peace.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Watching this new series on Netflix. Trying hard not to binge watch, something I don't usually do. I read the book a while back and don't remember it very well.... I find the show very, very , very good... even superb, yet, the reviews are .. well ... not that enthusiastic.. It seems that if the Show/Series/Movies must stick to the book to be deemed good... This series doesn't, but stands on its own and is a must watch... So far at episode 5, I looove it..

Peace
Watched it today. I'm enjoying it.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Suspension of disbelief was nonexistent for me. So many, just goofy plot points.
It was frustrating to watch, personally.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I liked the half of the first book, after a while the amount of cringy ideas was just overwhelming with a nano string being just plain insulting for a book that was advertised as a hard sci-fi. I watched one episode of the show, the acting was so bad that I hesitate to even watch the second one but I will give it a chance tomorrow

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I liked the half of the first book, after a while the amount of cringy ideas was just overwhelming with a nano string being just plain insulting for a book that was advertised as a hard sci-fi. I watched one episode of the show, the acting was so bad that I hesitate to even watch the second one but I will give it a chance tomorrow
I tried to read the book twice and stopped maybe before the halfway point. I read they changed up the show some and thought it might be better. I've only seen the 1st episode, and will try at least one more. I've read a few comments that after the 3rd episode it basically becomes like Lost. A TV show that I never understood the popularity of and I found infuriating to try and watch. It was a big mystery box that nothing ever advanced or happened with the story.

bboris77

Seen 3 episodes so far. It’s indeed not the exact story from the books. It’s a bit slow, but given the reviews I expected worse. So far it was fairly enjoyable, though the DEI is surely distracting.
I had to look up what “DEI” meant. I’m old loll. I thought it was just lazy casting - it’s not like it is impossible to find non-white good actors that can seem plausible in a role of a nerdy physicist. This show just failed at that and hoped nobody would call it out for the fear of being labeled racist.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
it’s not like it is impossible to find non-white good actors that can seem plausible in a role of a nerdy physicist.
That guy Neil deGrasse Tyson could probably do it. I see him in videos all the time.
He's got that cool 'stache and everything.
Haven't seen him in a lab coat, though -- all scientists must wear lab coats. It's in the oath we take.

;)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The books are a slow read. Personally, I was really dragging by the time I got to Death's End. I have a lot of quarrels with Liu. The writing and character development are awful. The books are very poorly and implausibly plotted--I think a lot of the reasoning around game theory and "Cosmic Sociology" is dead wrong, and they're also really kind of sexist in their approach to women. Moreover, a lot of what's written seems to be informed by CCP ideology and Chinese nationalist thinking regarding especially expansionism and seems to be based on their current geopolitical situation more than anything else. Finally, even the wildest extrapolations of quantum and relativistic physics won't allow for most of the far fetched, but integral to the plot, technology Liu posits. And some of the physics is just flat wrong, which makes it hard for me to consider it genuine "hard" science fiction. Aside from that a great series.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Don't mind "slow".. I believe that we need to learn to pace ourselves and just ..enjoy... not always rushing to the finish. Nor do I mind that it deviates from the books ... Which by the way I will re-read :)

And now while watching Ep.6. My internet access went down :(

Peace.
I don't mind slow,I read The Glass Bead Game (twice) and The Imaginary at my twenty's :(
But it's somehow out of balance?

I'm in the last episodes now,at least the general idea is interesting.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I must be a dimwitted, tasteless, unscientific idiot. I binged the whole thing in 2 days and loved it.

:cool:
It's not that I don't like it,I would have scrap it if I wouldn't.
And on top of that we now have clues of a great actress (Jess Hong playing Jin Cheng) and a genuine,interesting as hell,crazy-faced (Jack Nicholson level crazy,that's not easy) one (Mario Kelly playing Tatiana) .

Hope to see them more down the road.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The books are a slow read. Personally, I was really dragging by the time I got to Death's End. I have a lot of quarrels with Liu. The writing and character development are awful. The books are very poorly and implausibly plotted--I think a lot of the reasoning around game theory and "Cosmic Sociology" is dead wrong, and they're also really kind of sexist in their approach to women. Moreover, a lot of what's written seems to be informed by CCP ideology and Chinese nationalist thinking regarding especially expansionism and seems to be based on their current geopolitical situation more than anything else. Finally, even the wildest extrapolations of quantum and relativistic physics won't allow for most of the far fetched, but integral to the plot, technology Liu posits. And some of the physics is just flat wrong, which makes it hard for me to consider it genuine "hard" science fiction. Aside from that a great series.
I have a lot of the same critiques of the books, but I found them extremely fast reads for whatever reason. Possibly because of how wild the plot and how loose he is with science, (one gets the sense he knows exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin) I just wanted to know what kind of wacky stuff he'd come up with next.

The topics he silently avoided that a western writer would surely not fail to address shout "CCP" as loud as you please, (e.g. the virtual non-approach to geopolitics during the world's greatest-ever crisis) but you can't really blame him for that.

Haven't started the show but I'll give it a try sometime in the near future.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Planning to give it a try but no experience with the books....

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Watching this new series on Netflix. Trying hard not to binge watch, something I don't usually do. I read the book a while back and don't remember it very well.... I find the show very, very , very good... even superb, yet, the reviews are .. well ... not that enthusiastic.. It seems that the Show/Series/Movies must stick to the book to be deemed good... This series doesn't, but stands on its own and is a must watch... So far at episode 5, I looove it..

Peace
The book was one of the most poorly-written, overhyped things I've read in a while. Truly terrible prose and characterization, and Chinese speakers on the internets say it's not due to the translation. It felt like reading something by an entity who wasn't quite up on actual human behavior and speech.

But I'm already reading good things about the TV adaptation and I'll probably check it out. It shouldn't try to be faithful to the book.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the only reason i know of this series is that I binged Quinn's ideas on youtube...

AFAIK there are TWO Chinese adaptions... a finished film that was never released (an American phenomena with Chinese characteristics), the incredibly poor paced Tencent version and this current Netflix version.

Clearly Liu is a force given the whole Dark Forest concept but its clear he comes from the mindset of someone from that 'society' prior to say... 1990... but at the same time I feel like a adaptation from the people who completely screwed up Game of Thrones and were rejected by Disney would also be... watered down.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's not that I don't like it,I would have scrap it if I wouldn't.
And on top of that we now have clues of a great actress (Jess Hong playing Jin Cheng) and a genuine,interesting as hell,crazy-faced (Jack Nicholson level crazy,that's not easy) one (Mario Kelly playing Tatiana) .

Hope to see them more down the road.
I loved it so much that I ordered all 3 books on Kindle. Hopefully they don't suck as badly as described here.

:D

Top Bottom