• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
FWIW, per the above suggestion about more compact (ie shorter) amp cases, I definitely agree there's probably a market for less deep (say 8-10" depth) cases, and those do not seem very common. So I'd be interested in those 5 sided cases if they fit those rough dimensions, even if I had to go with 2 separate 2x cases instead of a 4x. Height and width (up to 19" rack mount) are less of a concern. Thanks! (But proceed with my current build as scheduled!)
Thanks!!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Good news:

My case manufacturer has a new option I am working on right now that would help cut down on the height and move the screw locations from the front/back of the case to the sides for a better look. No timeline yet but working on the updates. No existing orders will be altered/changed.

iraweiss

I'm thinking of adding amps for the front L-R channels when I get a new receiver and am torn between the Outlaw 2220 and amp based on Hypex NC502MP. FWIW the sensitivity/efficiency of my Definitive Technology BP2004TL speakers is 92 dB. The speakers have a nominal impedance of 4-8 ohms.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of adding amps for the front L-R channels when I get a new receiver and am torn between the Outlaw 2220 and amp based on Hypex NC502MP.
I can give as objective an opinion as possible (in that I am not trying to get another sale):
A year before I got my first Hypex based amp (before even thinking of building them myself) I had Outlaw's for my front LCR and I found them....meh. Of all the amps I used before and since, they were my least favorite.

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
I just read a review of the new ELAC Class D amp. The reviewer, Jason Seronius, said that it, like other Class D amps, sounded “drier”.

I do not know what that means! Please enlighten me.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just read a review of the new ELAC Class D amp. The reviewer, Jason Seronius, said that it, like other Class D amps, sounded “drier”.

I do not know what that means! Please enlighten me.
It may actually mean that it is more transparent--less of the harmonics that make music sound "richer".

But I'll bet that there is no audible difference at all, and that's the first thing you have to check. Most of those opinions are made without a level-matched AB comparison. Level-matching is the first priority, and it should be exact, using an AC voltmeter. If you can still tell a difference, then borrow a switching system and have someone switch the amps back and forth where you can't see what they are doing. If you can still hear a difference, make absolute sure that neither amp is being driven to distortion (which can be an issue with peaks even at moderate listening levels with lower-powered amps or inefficient speakers, or speakers that present a very low impedance in part of the spectrum such that the amp can't supply the necessary current). I'll bet that with all those aspects controlled, there is no audible difference between competent amps made in the last two or three decades.

It is true that some amps specifically (but without disclosure) include certain distortions to provide a house sound or to give the impression of greater detail or richer tone. This is particularly true for more recent vacuum-tube designs.

Replacing an amp with one that has abundant power for your listening use cases will produce a noticeable improvement.

Rick "sufficient power and ability to handle difficult speaker loads are the primary reasons for replacing an amp" Denney

bo_knows

Does anyone here use Buckeye amps with Denon AVRs (specifically 8500)? I'm considering a Buckeye amp (NC502MP ) to power up my front speakers and could use some feedback. Like the gain difference between NC502MP and internal amps. Any issues with matching? Thanks

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Forum Donor
It may actually mean that it is more transparent--less of the harmonics that make music sound "richer".

Thank you! I have read that 2d order harmonics in tube amps gives the "richer" euphonics. Also that Nelson Pass deliberately adds it in his SS amps. My AHB2 amps have none. as reviewed herein and elsewhere. I do not consider them "dry".

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Does anyone here use Buckeye amps with Denon AVRs (specifically 8500)? I'm considering a Buckeye amp (NC502MP ) to power up my front speakers and could use some feedback. Like the gain difference between NC502MP and internal amps. Any issues with matching? Thanks
Hi bo,

I am using a 6ch NC502mp Buckeye Amp with the Denon 8500h. To understand the gain matching issue go to this linked thread and read post #447. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ine-up-announcement.16835/page-23#post-678123

In the end analysis, if I recall correctly you will lose about 3db off the top. In my case after running Audyssey and channel level trim adjustments. I have not noticed any negative effects. Many thanks to @NTK for working up the numbers.

iraweiss

A question about how much actual power an amp with the NC502MP produces as compared to my other choice, the Outlaw 2220.

The specifications for the Outlaw 2220 are stated as:

300 Watts RMS into a 4 ohm load from 20Hz - 20kHz with .05% total harmonic distortion (A-Weighted).
200 Watts RMS into an 8 ohm load from 20Hz - 20kHz with .05% total harmonic distortion (A-Weighted).
Less than .004% Intermodulation Distortion

How much power does an amp using the NC502MP produce under these or similar conditions?

BTW, good news! I checked Audioholics YouTube review of the Yamaha CX-A5200 that uses XLR outputs and is similar to the Yamaha RX-A3080 and upcoming Yamaha RX-A6A and RX-A8A in that regard. The CX-A5200 put out eight volts via the XLR before clipping (and four volts out the RCA jacks) so if the new receivers can do even half that amount I should have no problem driving one of these new amps.

bo_knows

Hi bo,

I am using a 6ch NC502mp Buckeye Amp with the Denon 8500h. To understand the gain matching issue go to this linked thread and read post #447. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ine-up-announcement.16835/page-23#post-678123

In the end analysis, if I recall correctly you will lose about 3db off the top. In my case after running Audyssey and channel level trim adjustments. I have not noticed any negative effects. Many thanks to @NTK for working up the numbers.
Hi Adam,

Oh boy. Thank you for the linked post and reply. Greatly appreciated.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A question about how much actual power an amp with the NC502MP produces as compared to my other choice, the Outlaw 2220.

The specifications for the Outlaw 2220 are stated as:

300 Watts RMS into a 4 ohm load from 20Hz - 20kHz with .05% total harmonic distortion (A-Weighted).
200 Watts RMS into an 8 ohm load from 20Hz - 20kHz with .05% total harmonic distortion (A-Weighted).
Less than .004% Intermodulation Distortion

How much power does an amp using the NC502MP produce under these or similar conditions?

BTW, good news! I checked Audioholics YouTube review of the Yamaha CX-A5200 that uses XLR outputs and is similar to the Yamaha RX-A3080 and upcoming Yamaha RX-A6A and RX-A8A in that regard. The CX-A5200 put out eight volts via the XLR before clipping (and four volts out the RCA jacks) so if the new receivers can do even half that amount I should have no problem driving one of these new amps.

500w into 4ohms
350w into 8ohms

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

rynberg

Forum Donor
I was finally able to set up my 4-channel Buckeye nc502 amp on Friday and enjoyed it all weekend with my also new Revel F206 fronts. This is my first class D amp, so the lightness of the chassis was refreshing. The XLR jacks and binding posts seem to be high quality.

The amp is extremely quiet (limited by my Anthem MRX720 as a pre-amp, I'm sure) and sounds like...nothing at all, as it should. Very pleased with this purchase, thanks Buckeye Amps!

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news:

My case manufacturer has a new option I am working on right now that would help cut down on the height and move the screw locations from the front/back of the case to the sides for a better look. No timeline yet but working on the updates. No existing orders will be altered/changed.
BTW, love your new logo!

sully45

Is there a straightforward way to add DSP to these units? I'd love to turn a 4 CH NC502MP unit into a clean 2.2 setup. Use the DSP to setup the sub crossover, time allign, and EQ. If not I'll have to take a close look at the MiniDSP offerings like the SHD.

Neddy

Similar question:
I'm looking for recommendations for active or passive xovers for bi-amping, that are high enough quality to mate up with (between) the OktoDAC and Hypex amps (or downstream, if passive). I love my Venu360, but clearly not 'good enough' any more:)

This is tempting, but don't need 3way, only two way, for bi-amping. (I'll do RoomEQ on the PC/JRiver).
https://sublimeacoustic.com/collections/frontpage/products/k231-stereo-3-way-active-crossover

PS. Got my Buckeye amp today - YAY! Looks beautiful - very well made and packaged - nicely done!!!
Will be a few more days before I get it hooked up, though. More then.

geekpryde

Forum Donor
My order has arrived! Hooked up and plays very loud on my work PC setup using SVS Ultras Bookshelf.

Quick unboxing pics, these are cell phone photos, so forgive the focus and quality.

The amp was VERY well packaged and protected on the side.

Buckeye Amp Pic 001.jpg

Buckeye Amp Pic 002.jpg

Buckeye Amp Pic 003.jpg

Buckeye Amp Pic 004.jpg

Buckeye Amp Pic 005.jpg

bogart

Forum Donor
My order has arrived! Hooked up and plays very loud on my work PC setup using SVS Ultras Bookshelf.

Quick unboxing pics, these are cell phone photos, so forgive the focus and quality.

The amp was VERY well packaged and protected on the side.

View attachment 130914

View attachment 130915

View attachment 130917

View attachment 130918

View attachment 130919
Man, these glamor shots make me regret getting a home theater receiver without pre-outs. Anyone want to hack my Denon X1600H to give me pre-outs? :D

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking for recommendations for active or passive xovers for bi-amping

Neddy, since you're presumably streaming or local files from the NUC have you considered doing the XO in software? It can be done within JRiver but there are other solutions as well, look at my sig - Element works with PC too.

Or maybe you're needing more than 8 channels?

Top Bottom