• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
HI, thanks @DWPress
It's a 7.1 ch system, with 2 of the 8 Okto channels for Ch 1 & 2. And those are bi-amped. Too bad Okto doesn't do 10 channels:)
I had been running AES 1&2 from Okto to Venu360 and doing all the (stereo) crossovers and roomEQ in that.
So I need something to take Ch1 & 2 from Okto and split into LF and HF. Could be done with active xovers between Okto and the 4 ch Hypex amp, or passive xovers downstream of the amps.
The referenced active xover looks pretty good, but is 3way, and (maybe?) a bit more than I'd like to spend...but I am considering using that with just two crossover cards in it.
So, I'm curious if there are other, better options out there, something commensurate with the Hypex and Okto performance.
Having some kind of xover 'card' feature inside these amps would be a killer idea, though.
Thanks!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't the XLR connector upside down? I usually see the latch up, which also makes the PUSH writing to be right too. Or was this intentional for some reason?

Neddy

Mine is the same way - I'm thinking it's so that RA XLRs point down instead of up and so don't interfere (just what I need, too!).

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I need something to take Ch1 & 2 from Okto and split into LF and HF.

Ah, I see the dilemma. So that's why an outboard option is sought. Agreed, 10 channels would be nicer on the Okto but then we'd want even more! :p The device you linked to above should work and great specs but pretty limiting slopes and all created via knobs that may not be the most accurate. Not sure if there's any other (affordable) hardware that matches up with the Okto and Hypex combo which is why I did it in software.

You've prompted me to finally start my "how to" thread for systemwide Mac/PC XO and convolution though. Might take a few days to complete but there might still be useful info for you.

Neddy

Yes, and 16 would be too many! :eek:
A 'how to' thread like that would be very helpful, thanks!
Most of this stuff I get (at least in theory), but replacing the Venu's functionality with another type of tech leaves some subtleties unanswered, such as: for a LF driver, does its crossover necessarily include both LP and HP (effectively BP) components, or is just a LP filter by itself sufficient? Etc, etc.
The Venu allows me to implement various filters (within the driver parameters) as well as DSP/EQ for that drivers optimization (JBL 2216ND in this case).
Then of course, fitting all of that within the cabinet and room adds even more layers.
At this point I'm less concerned with the specifics (f, Q, etc) of the solutions than the quality (relative to Okto & Hypex) and 'where does it fit in the fuller context of the speaker in the room'.
Interesting, and deceptively simple seeming question.
Thanks!

Vince2

Hypex makes a dsp modules that is compatible with ncore. Same one they use in the plate amps but only available for oem

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hypex makes a dsp modules that is compatible with ncore. Same one they use in the plate amps but only available for oem

Those Hypex DSP modules got caught up in the AKM debacle. They are only available to those who bought them previously.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and 16 would be too many! :eek:
A 'how to' thread like that would be very helpful, thanks!
Most of this stuff I get (at least in theory), but replacing the Venu's functionality with another type of tech leaves some subtleties unanswered, such as: for a LF driver, does its crossover necessarily include both LP and HP (effectively BP) components, or is just a LP filter by itself sufficient? Etc, etc.
The Venu allows me to implement various filters (within the driver parameters) as well as DSP/EQ for that drivers optimization (JBL 2216ND in this case).
Then of course, fitting all of that within the cabinet and room adds even more layers.
At this point I'm less concerned with the specifics (f, Q, etc) of the solutions than the quality (relative to Okto & Hypex) and 'where does it fit in the fuller context of the speaker in the room'.
Interesting, and deceptively simple seeming question.
Thanks!

I may have some DSP ideas that are better performance than the Venu360 from a SINAD perspective but want to make sure I understand what you are looking for.

Needs
-2 in, 4 out
-digital inputs (preferably AES to interface directly with Okto)
-balanced outputs?

Software DSP is not an option as you are using 8 channels from your PC currently to the Okto and want to implement active 2 ways on 2 of those channels (10 output channels total).

Sound about right?

Michael

Neddy

Thank you!
Those specs are correct, except not AES in (Okto is USB In, but does have AES out for Ch1&2)
At this point, I've done some searching, and found various active and passive crossovers (including another one from Harman, though far cheaper), including marchand and xkits https://www.xkitz.com/collections/a...-way-active-crossover-fully-balanced-xover-2b
The latter is interesting as perhaps it could fit inside the Hypex case?
I'm not too interested in DSP solutions, as they would require another ADC/DAC cycle between too already very excellent ones.
So, as near as I can tell there are three types:
- active analog (op-amps) between Okto and Hypex (balanced)
- passive analog between Okto and Hypex (balanced)
- passive analog on the outputs of the Hypex (including just buying the JBL 4367 bass xover, but that's pretty pricey).
But there may be other inventive solutions, too:)
Thanks again!!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you!
Those specs are correct, except not AES in (Okto is USB In, but does have AES out for Ch1&2)
At this point, I've done some searching, and found various active and passive crossovers (including another one from Harman, though far cheaper), including marchand and xkits https://www.xkitz.com/collections/a...-way-active-crossover-fully-balanced-xover-2b
The latter is interesting as perhaps it could fit inside the Hypex case?
I'm not too interested in DSP solutions, as they would require another ADC/DAC cycle between too already very excellent ones.
So, as near as I can tell there are three types:
- active analog (op-amps) between Okto and Hypex (balanced)
- passive analog between Okto and Hypex (balanced)
- passive analog on the outputs of the Hypex (including just buying the JBL 4367 bass xover, but that's pretty pricey).
But there may be other inventive solutions, too:)
Thanks again!!

Ah gotcha, misunderstood a bit. Haven't used the AES output on my DAC8 but I assume that does not have volume control which would not work.

I am not very familiar with non-DSP solutions but I agree that an active analog crossover would be able to match performance of the Okto.

Michael

8T_BoCO

Received mine (NC502MP) yesterday. +1 on your excellent packing job, Dylan.

Sounding great into 4 ohm 90 dB efficient acoustic suspension towers.
Dead quiet in my system, where other amps have been noisy, so kudos to Hypex for their power supply implementation.

Thanks!

geodos

My 4 chan 502 was delivered Thursday. It was shipped 5/17, the exact date promised by Dylan. Great job Dylan. Especially considering that date was given a month and a half ago. It was very well packed. I now have enough bubble wrap to last the rest of my life! I am using 3 channels for my center and surrounds. I listened to some samples without the mains on. Very quiet, very clear. I'm no golden eared audiophile, but I am very happy with it. So far I listened to Dark Side of the Moon, Ziggy Stardust, and Steve Wilsons 5.1 Aqualung. All sounded great. It is driving a Tyler Acoustics Taylo for the center, and a pair of Von Schweikert TS-150 for surrounds. Nice work Dylan!!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Glad to see happy customers!

I've worked hard to get back on schedule and so far ETA's given should have no issues being met.

Only issue is the trickle down of stock from Hypex but I'm working to snatch up as much as I can. Ideally I hope to place a large 100+ quantity order every four months for NC252s and 50+ quantity every three months for NC502s but global microelectronics are still aways away from being back to "steady".

Side note: never thought I'd ever have to wait overnight in line outside a store just to grab a graphics card in all my years building PC's but that's what it took last week to get an RTX 3090. Because no way I'm paying $3500 on eBay.

geekpryde

Forum Donor
Side note: never thought I'd ever have to wait overnight in line outside a store just to grab a graphics card in all my years building PC's but that's what it took last week to get an RTX 3090. Because no way I'm paying $3500 on eBay.

Well, I slept in line for Star Wars Episode One tickets, at least you got something good out of the deal! :D

d2k5000

A little late feedback here. I bought a Buckeye NC502MP amp several months ago, and it works great. Very clean sounding amp. No complaints about build quality either.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Neutrik speakON (not speakerON) connectors, widely used in the pro world.

Top Bottom