• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Vince2

It's rather simple, there are pinouts on the PCB for Clipping Indicator of each channel. Can use that to wire up to an LED.
What about vu meters? Remember seeing an amp from a dutch company, using hypex ncore modules with big vu meters. How are those connected to the modules?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What about vu meters? Remember seeing an amp from a dutch company, using hypex ncore modules with big vu meters. How are those connected to the modules?
They Hypex modules themselves do not have any provision for meters, VU or otherwise. If there is an amp with meters, these are sampling either the input before the amplifier module, or on the output of the amplifier module.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea...while clip indicators would be a "cool add on" your results are what I suspect most people would run into. Especially with the 502s. Chances are your ears will be the deciding factor of how loud you turn the volume up well before it clips.

If using them for subwoofer usage with drivers/setups meant to dig into the ULF region than I could see them being more active.

I could try the subwoofer use case, but suspect it is niche. Mainly would be DIYers with passive sub(s) AND power hungry ones at that.

Could offer as an upgrade to see how many customers really want as it will add cost and labor. :cool:

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How are the amplifier builds going? What is the current wait time for new orders?
Going great. I am booked with builds to the end of June. But I'm hoping to get ahead of schedule as a lot of builds are 2 or 4 channels coming up.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So unfortunately Hypex has finally succumb to a shortage greater than expected (electronics of all sorts are hurting right now). Any new NC502MP order will not be able to be fulfilled until July 26th, barring Hypex acquiring an adequate replacement part(s). My order is on file so as soon as their end is sorted, I will have more in hand.

NC252's are still on track for me to have a continuous stock at the moment, so no abnormal delays with those.

gattaca

FWIW -not new news, but I'll clarify a few points. Our WW supply chain shortage reaches far wider than is being assumed. Computer manufacturers are announcing lead times increasing by 2x - 3x plus significant price increases the past couple of months with more OTW. Networking switch gear has lead times of 90 days+ now. Finally, I learned today that the computer industry major players are projecting supply chain constraints for at least the next 24 months. Patience may be required to get any and all parts and/or assembled chassis of many electronics.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Yes, it is widespread. So I don't blame Hypex at all. They are doing the best they can and I am working best with them to try and get stock as quickly as I can....and stock up on large quantities when they are available.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

iraweiss

I am planning on getting either a new Yamaha RX-A6A or RX-A8A receiver to replace my aging Yamaha RX-A3000 and would like to add an amp for the left and right front channels. One feature of the two top models of the new Yamaha receiver line is that they have XLR preouts As an Ohio (Columbus suburbs) resident I would love to buy Ohio. If I am thinking correctly there is an advantage of higher voltage using the XLR vs RCA to power one of these amps. Would the Yamaha be able to drive either of these amps to full output using the XLR connection?

Attachments

• Yamaha RX-A6 rear 81D4u6DbuBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Yamaha RX-A6 rear 81D4u6DbuBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 113

ProfessorPepper

Hi! I've been lurking here since last year–have read every line of this post and after having had just finished building my own NC252MP amp in a ghent case less than 24 hours ago. The price from where I procured the amp (Minnesota) actually put the total just over your pricing after tax. Basically, I just think it's such an excellent thing you're doing here @Buckeye Amps and the only reason I didn't jump on your offer was because I'm a, well I've been going to college for 6 years so I guess that makes me a super senior studying Electrical Engineering and would hence make wiring this beautiful piece of electronics an invaluable experience. It's been great to see your business get so much attention over such a small time and I think it's really smart–and no one should underestimate this–that you've been so accepting of being sent ghent cases because if it hasn't already made itself apparent, there will be a large portion of your customers that are in the market for the most compact solution and would even be willing to pay a fair amount more for it. I'm not saying it's because of recent trends in minimalism or anything but I would wager your net would catch a significantly greater audience if you had the smallest NCxx2MP amp product on the market. That news alone would make waves in certain communities with the reviews these get. Like I finally get what everybody has been saying! Now I've come from a class AB background–vintage early 2000s Yamaha and I'm not kidding when I say that I was just listening to 90210 by Travis Scott in flac on a pair of LS50's with my eyes closed just kinda letting this song take me for its ride and I swear I thought the drummer had materialized right in the corner of my room for the first time in my life. Wtf. 10/10, would ride again.

Okay, that's all I have to say, imma crawl back to my observation tower and continue reading about the future success of Buckeye Amps. ✨

P.S. Excuse the sparkles I really like Disneyland and yall gonna just have to bear with the extra magic going around since Disneyland opened for the first time yesterday after over 400 days of closure

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! I've been lurking here since last year–have read every line of this post and after having had just finished building my own NC252MP amp in a ghent case less than 24 hours ago. The price from where I procured the amp (Minnesota) actually put the total just over your pricing after tax. Basically, I just think it's such an excellent thing you're doing here @Buckeye Amps and the only reason I didn't jump on your offer was because I'm a, well I've been going to college for 6 years so I guess that makes me a super senior studying Electrical Engineering and would hence make wiring this beautiful piece of electronics an invaluable experience. It's been great to see your business get so much attention over such a small time and I think it's really smart–and no one should underestimate this–that you've been so accepting of being sent ghent cases because if it hasn't already made itself apparent, there will be a large portion of your customers that are in the market for the most compact solution and would even be willing to pay a fair amount more for it. I'm not saying it's because of recent trends in minimalism or anything but I would wager your net would catch a significantly greater audience if you had the smallest NCxx2MP amp product on the market. That news alone would make waves in certain communities with the reviews these get. Like I finally get what everybody has been saying! Now I've come from a class AB background–vintage early 2000s Yamaha and I'm not kidding when I say that I was just listening to 90210 by Travis Scott in flac on a pair of LS50's with my eyes closed just kinda letting this song take me for its ride and I swear I thought the drummer had materialized right in the corner of my room for the first time in my life. Wtf. 10/10, would ride again.

Okay, that's all I have to say, imma crawl back to my observation tower and continue reading about the future success of Buckeye Amps. ✨

P.S. Excuse the sparkles I really like Disneyland and yall gonna just have to bear with the extra magic going around since Disneyland opened for the first time yesterday after over 400 days of closure
I cannot agree more-producing the 252 in a tiny enclosure, much like the Emotiva I've sent to Amir for measurements, will be a very desirable product that will sell. My 252 amp he made was put in a larger case as he didn't have the smaller cases at that time-I know I would have paid more for a smaller case but it's such an impressive amp it doesn't matter-I just put it on its side and let it sing.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Welcome Aboard @ProfessorPepper.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The only issue with going smaller is I would have to design a case around an enclosure that allows me to specifiy height (my current cases use a standard 2U height which allows for a better price). When I did a quote of a new case design using a smaller height case it actually cost more as the company I use would then have to bump me up to a different "case design" that inherently starts off more expensive.

I mean. They have many different case designs. One of them is an all aluminum 5-sided design with the bottom and sides seam welded (so only top comes off) that I could make super compact....but it would raise the price a lot.

gattaca

^^^ There usually is a "longer-tail" market for "BTO (Build-To-Order)" or "highly customized to exactly what I want" specs. I'm not sure explaining to people why solution A costs 2x as much as B b/c of the uniqueness or "added cost for the smaller, BTO cases" matters in that realm of reality. Thermals would be my next concern. Interesting.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I actually played around with the 5-sided enclosure some more.....if I did a large quantity order of them at a time the price of a 2 channel would only go up about $50 but in a smaller, more compact, and more "professional" looking case.

Once I got re-stocked with a large quantity of modules from Hypex, enough to know I can weather possible shortages in the future, I will definitely revisit a more "high end" looking 2 channel build. For now I am all steam ahead with current orders

Last edited:
Top Bottom