• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 283 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 175 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

PGansz

Forum Donor
Yeah, it’s very repetitive and fluffy and once I saw a video I that endorsed the non-measurable difference in cables I hit that unsubscribe button pronto.

And to me the guy come off like he may sell waterbeds in another life. Not my thing.

I mean at least z-reviews celebrates his unreliable douxhe-ness. Not an insult. He revels in it.
I think something changed with him around this time. In the not too distant past he used to do worthwhile comparisons of products by feature-sets to really help amateurs find value in products. Then it became voodoo gear and weird shit.

I have heard many people talk about hearing differences in gear (including cables). As much as objective measurement is why I'm here, it has also become clear that "gear synergy" is a thing. Just seeing certain measurements of amps and speakers will tell you that two pieces of kit having the same type of issue (say, rising treble) won't help. If you were to swap in something that measures poorly but in the other direction, it could help the overall situation even if objectively it's a turd on its own.

I firmly believe a lot of people are hearing these differences but aren't educated enough to know why; or they are and don't care to admit it for the sake of views and manufacturer relationships.

The truth is that it's best to hear it all (IMO) so I stay subscribed. Also, he drops deal alerts.

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
... it has also become clear that "gear synergy" is a thing. Just seeing certain measurements of amps and speakers will tell you that two pieces of kit having the same type of issue (say, rising treble) won't help. If you were to swap in something that measures poorly but in the other direction, it could help the overall situation even if objectively it's a turd on its own.

I started in audio at a time when "gear synergy" was definitely a thing. I AM SO GLAD THAT IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE AN ISSUE IN THIS DAY AND AGE THAT I CANNOT ADEQUATELY EXPRESS MY JOY!

It was like seeking to avoid potholes in a dark room while you're blindfolded; more failure than success. That's one of the major reasons that I continually harp on the advantage of tests and measurements; they've added light to the quest and removed the blindfold!

I can assure you, audio gear that is provably well-designed is a blessing! :)

Jim

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Or in the extreme case of Steve Huff, who has over time shown by my example, to proclaim products using one technology, are superior to another, only later to be outdone by the same technology implemented elsewhere because it cost more money.

It's actually a joke when you watch it.
Yeah, they are all walking contradictions. They are entertaining to a point, but only if you take it as entertainment and not any fact or education. A lot of them are unwatchable now though, really pompous and up themselves as they have gained viewers their ego's and self belief as authorities or experts in their field has given many a god complex. Age old problem of human mind, give someone power or fame and they will become monsters.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
About the Tekton M-Lore:
1. At 92 dB 88 dB it is genuinely high slightly above average efficiency speaker - which is not too common, especially at that price ($750 a pair). From all speakers tested here in that price range, only Focal Chora 816 is comparable better at 91 dB, but with higher price at $1000 a pair (and much better frequency response).
2. Frequency response is not good, but we have seen much worse for much more money. Peak at 700 Hz can be eradicated with simple RLC filter - why it was not implemented, remains a mystery.
3. Distortion is low, it can play 100 dB without problems.
4. Although in the supplied instruction reference axis is wrongly stated at the tweeter center, for all "woofer at top - tweeter below woofer" designs reference axis is at the woofer center. Not that it will change much, but still... Additional measurement by Amir show 0.5 - 1 dB improvement in the 3.5 - 6.5 kHz region.
5. Feet holes all through the bottom panel - big design/production mistake. Not supplying the feet with speakers and not stating (in the instruction manual) that feet must be inserted is even bigger mistake.
6 Exposed woofer rim is ugly.
7. Reactions from Eric Alexander (Tekton) to both Amir's and Erin's reviews were catastrophically bad and wrong. Also, looking at his strange comments here, I will speculate: he hasn't designed the crossovers in Tekton loudspeakers - none of them.

Bottom line for Tekton M-Lore:
At $750 a pair it has passable (not terrible) performance, especially in a view of its high slightly above average efficiency and high SPLmax. Eric Alexander is another story....

Edited - in bold.

Thats exactly my thinking after reading Amirs review. FR is not that bad. Good efficience, price is ok. Before that incident.

ta240

Major Contributor
"At 92 dB it is genuinely high efficiency speaker" NO, claiming 92db sensitivity with a peak at 700hz that lands at 92db is simply marketing BS!
The worst thing is that it works. When I used to frequent threads on low power amps the bookshelf Klipsch speakers and Tektons like these were always recommended whenever anyone would ask for suggestions of efficient speakers. How many speakers with an actual efficiency of 87 or 88 lose sales to these ones that exaggerate their numbers?
I was really considering buying either these Tektons or the bookshelf Klipsch speakers to replace my 87.5 dB speakers (confirmed in tests). Fortunately I saw the actual numbers on these before I bought.

It reminds me of an interview with Andrew Jones when he was asked about the 6 ohm rating on his speakers and he tried to really politely say that other companies fudge their numbers and list speakers that significantly dip to 4 ohms as being 8.

Prolix

Forum Donor
His continued success never ceases to amaze me. I am genuinely impressed that people can listen to him ramble on about absolutely nothing for as long as his videos are. You'd think his years of experience would teach him how to condense his ideas, but if anything his videos are getting longer. Different strokes for different folks I guess
I think the rambling is an intentional feature rather than a bug. I just skip to about the 3/4 mark.

Ricwa

Forum Donor
About the Tekton M-Lore:
1. At 92 dB 88 dB it is genuinely high slightly above average efficiency speaker - which is not too common, especially at that price ($750 a pair). From all speakers tested here in that price range, only Focal Chora 816 is comparable better at 91 dB, but with higher price at $1000 a pair (and much better frequency response).
2. Frequency response is not good, but we have seen much worse for much more money. Peak at 700 Hz can be eradicated with simple RLC filter - why it was not implemented, remains a mystery.
3. Distortion is low, it can play 100 dB without problems.
4. Although in the supplied instruction reference axis is wrongly stated at the tweeter center, for all "woofer at top - tweeter below woofer" designs reference axis is at the woofer center. Not that it will change much, but still... Additional measurement by Amir show 0.5 - 1 dB improvement in the 3.5 - 6.5 kHz region.
5. Feet holes all through the bottom panel - big design/production mistake. Not supplying the feet with speakers and not stating (in the instruction manual) that feet must be inserted is even bigger mistake.
6 Exposed woofer rim is ugly.
7. Reactions from Eric Alexander (Tekton) to both Amir's and Erin's reviews were catastrophically bad and wrong. Also, looking at his strange comments here, I will speculate: he hasn't designed the crossovers in Tekton loudspeakers - none of them.

Bottom line for Tekton M-Lore:
At $750 a pair it has passable (not terrible) performance, especially in a view of its high slightly above average efficiency and high SPLmax. Eric Alexander is another story....

Edited - in bold.
Sorry for a bit OT but if you’re looking for an $800 true 92dB bookshelf with published measurements, check out the Klippel designed Ascend CMT-340 SE2

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
It is very sad that Mr. Alexander's behavior remains consistent with someone who is suffering from some pretty significant psychological issues. His grandiose rhetoric, exaggerated sense of his own importance, lack of concern for his contradictory stances (I have no doubt he would deny he has EVER contradicted ANYTHING he said, or made ANY substantial mistake.) and pretty obvious obsession with micro-managing how others perceive him all point to someone who really cares only for himself and his image. No wonder his "attack" was shocking to Erin.

This is way beyond any technical or professional disagreement. We are witnessing someone who is pretty obviously unhinged and maybe it's best if we accept that rationality or even kindness will likely have no effect on him and just leave this thread open "for legal purposes" without interacting with him or his nonsense.

I despise having to resort to personal observations like this on an enjoyable forum focused on civilized conversation, mostly, but Mr. Alexander's behavior cannot be accounted for or explained in any other way.

All of the above is my personal opinion, of course, about Mr. Alexander's comportment and attitudes and should not be construed as an observation about his business or products. Plus I live in Costa Rica, so good luck with the legal system here. Instead of Justice, Saint Kafka stands atop the courthouse.
(Just catching up with this bizarre thread.)

You've said exactly what I was thinking, and what I would to say to Mr. Alexander himself in this thread if you had not already posted this.

doug s.

It is very sad that Mr. Alexander's behavior remains consistent with someone who is suffering from some pretty significant psychological issues. His grandiose rhetoric, exaggerated sense of his own importance, lack of concern for his contradictory stances (I have no doubt he would deny he has EVER contradicted ANYTHING he said, or made ANY substantial mistake.) and pretty obvious obsession with micro-managing how others perceive him all point to someone who really cares only for himself and his image. No wonder his "attack" was shocking to Erin.

This is way beyond any technical or professional disagreement. We are witnessing someone who is pretty obviously unhinged and maybe it's best if we accept that rationality or even kindness will likely have no effect on him and just leave this thread open "for legal purposes" without interacting with him or his nonsense.

I despise having to resort to personal observations like this on an enjoyable forum focused on civilized conversation, mostly, but Mr. Alexander's behavior cannot be accounted for or explained in any other way.

All of the above is my personal opinion, of course, about Mr. Alexander's comportment and attitudes and should not be construed as an observation about his business or products. Plus I live in Costa Rica, so good luck with the legal system here. Instead of Justice, Saint Kafka stands atop the courthouse.
My response is directed to adam - is the this post of indiana's considered an honest critical evaluation or an insult? Honestly, I don't see how you can separate the two with someone like eric.

You asked me how I'd feel if insults were directed towards me. Let's pretend that I'm a liar, unethical in my dealings with customers and reviewers, and have been proven to bully those who have done nothing wrong. And then I go ballistic when queried about it. It's okay for people to say I'm a lying unethical bully who doesn't react well to being celled out for it? And I wouldn't be upset because of that? But as soon as you question my mental state, or call me a/n [insert fave nasty word here], only then will I feel insulted?

doug s.

Zimmerframe

My response is directed to adam - is the this post of indiana's considered an honest critical evaluation or an insult? Honestly, I don't see how you can separate the two with someone like eric.

You asked me how I'd feel if insults were directed towards me. Let's pretend that I'm a liar, unethical in my dealings with customers and reviewers, and have been proven to bully those who have done nothing wrong. And then I go ballistic when queried about it. It's okay for people to say I'm a lying unethical bully who doesn't react well to being celled out for it? And I wouldn't be upset because of that? But as soon as you question my mental state, or call me a/n [insert fave nasty word here], only then will I feel insulted?

doug s.
I'm not the Adam, but I am an Adam :) ..

I've seen your comments and completely understand where you're coming from.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the products/Tekton. Nothing is perfect. A lot of the information from ASR helps you work out the positives and negatives so you can make an informed decision based on your circumstances and requirements. They are what they are.

As you've pointed out, the problem is EA himself. An individual. Arguably, it's difficult to discuss the negatives of that without appearing directly insulting. For me personally, I don't think Indiana's post reads as insulting. It's an opinion which is well presented, explained and justified.

Everyone is different on how they will see and interpret what's insulting and not insulting, for the mods it's no easy line to walk, but they seem to be doing a exceptional job with an exceedingly difficult situation where there are many variables and larger implications involved.

Simplifying things from my perspective, it's more "insulting", in the broader sense (in a forum scenario) when there's no justification or explanation. I'd give an example, but it sounds like I'm using it as a discrete way to be insulting ! :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You Dooders are still analyzing EA? It's clear that he has a personality disorder and there's not much else to say... LoL. Ima just waiting for the lawyer donations and fund link and then get down to matters @ hand if req'd. If not required then I have more moola for shrimp, salmon, cheese, wine, whiskey, Irish Cream and new expensive summer shirts...LoL. But seriously don't let this guy under your skin... Never let anything live rent free in your mind.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Eric, can I ask you a simple question? Do you think your demands for a revised review, and the updated results, from Erin, and threats of legal action to Erim and Amir have been beneficial to the future success of your brand?

If not, what measures will you undertake to improve the perception of your brand in the wider market? I ask because I'd considered your speakers as offering interesting technology and probably above average VFM to the market previously, now I can't separate the product offering from your actions, false claims and threats.

I work in marketing for a global power tools brand, if you worked for me you be sacked six ways to Sunday for the irrevocable damage you'd done to the brand.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
It's sad to see tough guys play the 'unduly sensitive' card all day long. The facts are we are all like minded music lovers with mutual interests. Hurling insults and ad hominem attack's all day long is juvenile, boring, and non-productive.
Indeed. I'm so glad that you can see that. BTW, grammar alert: it's "attacks", not "attack's".

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'd love to see one of you [this is an invitation] actually construct a healthy dialog that leads to a productive outcome. Again, here's my side of things...

Amir Majidimehr of Audio Science Review published flawed measurements placing my work and abilities in a false light.

The FACTS are Amir Majidimehr refuses to suspend or modify his unsolicited review of my work as of April 10th, 2024. Amir measured our loudspeaker from the wrong angle and he published a flawed frequency response and step response. The correct listening axis for this loudspeaker is directly on-axis [an entirely different angle] with the 8” woofer. The result is a much better frequency response than Amir is publicly conveying and an ideal step response; a step response that reflects the speaker is ‘time-aligned’. Amir's impedance measurement is also flawed and reflects the supplied feet were not used and with no provisions to plug four 1/4 - 20 threaded inserts resulting in him publishing a flawed impedance measurement, flawed distortion measurements, flawed cumulative spectral decay, and lowered bass output in the frequency response measurements due to internal cabinet pressure losses.

Amir’s picture of the Mini Lore reflects the speaker in the air (6 inches off the ground) with no feet being used to maintain proper internal cabinet pressure. His picture also reflects a sun bleached woofer calling into question just how old this speaker might be. The Mini Lore has been in production for 15 years and the speaker he’s using looks visually compromised.

Amir Majidimehr's fumbled measurements caused him to draw conclusions that produced false narratives regarding our loudspeakers performance and my work.

The Mini Lore has a solid cabinet containing internal bracing within; when you see a resonance that big at 180Hz there’s only one logical explanation… there must be a hole or a hidden cavity in the cabinet. Amir failed to discern this. Amir failed to plug the threaded inserts in the bottom of the cabinet and the result cast a negative light on the speaker. Why do we use threaded inserts with a hole through the cabinet? To make it more versatile for isolation feet and outriggers and to allow for the speaker to be perfectly leveled.

In my opinion, Amir Majidimehr should have been more amiable to suspending or modifying his review when I informed him weeks back there were problems.

I feel blindsided by Amir Majidimehr. I believe he owes me a personal and a public apology. I believe Amir Majidimehr should be doing everything in his power to rectify this problem.

Respectfully,
Eric Alexander
Audio Designer
President
Tekton Design, LLC
Surely all that is required is that your speaker is remeasured *exactly* to your specifications? You would then accept the results?

doug s.

Surely all that is required is that your speaker is remeasured *exactly* to your specifications? You would then accept the results?
"
Eric Alexander said:
"I'd love to see one of you [this is an invitation] actually construct a healthy dialog that leads to a productive outcome."
eric, you have made it absolutely clear, beyond any reasonable doubt, that this is the last thing you want. because you have been given every opportunity, and you have refused every one.

Again, here's my side of things...
- your side of things are lies, obfuscations, dodges, denials. some or all of these things. nothing more, nothing less.

Amir Majidimehr of Audio Science Review published flawed measurements placing my work and abilities in a false light.
- absolutely false - either through your own ignorance, or from outright lying.

doug s.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Fun - as in a funky starter system using more basic separates gear from the periods I mentioned...

I started reading Hi Fi Sound magazine (a once popular UK rag) in 1967 at the grand old age of ten! Plenty of Hirst-labs 'anechoic' speaker tests done back then with minimal comments added, mostly concerning the objective side and how in not wonderful cases (Celestion Ditton 25's from I think 1972 with two bass drivers [one an ABR I think] and twin HF1300 tweeters with I believe an HF2000 'super tweeter' causing lobing and 'muddle' in the sound I remember) - pic from eBay UK...

View attachment 362647 View attachment 362673

I remember reading those reviews. The Ditton 25 (and 44) were on my shortlist until I compared them with the MA-1, BC-I and 104.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
When reviewing audio equipment remember Julian Hirsch, never say anything bad, just be incredibly polite and vague

Top Bottom