• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 283 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 175 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

doug s.

We all think Tekton has shot itself in the foot.

I wonder…. because erin will not review tekton anymore, and gene from audioholics says he won’t either. How many other klippel reviewers does that leave who would be willing to do so now? That just leaves the puff reviewers (we know who they are).

I’m sure Eric would be fine with that as his products would never be measured and only reviewed by said puff reviewers.

Consumers are the ones who ultimately lose in this scenario,

If Amir gets sued every reviewer and consumer should absolutely contribute a class action and take litigation as high up the judicial system as necessary to ensure that reviewers are only NOT sued but also protected by the law.
if amir gets sued, eric will lose his shirt in a counter-claim for damages. strange as eric is, i suspect he at least knows this, which is why i'd be surprised if amir (or erin) ever get sued.

doug s.

Katzz

Problem is, advertising for the speaker says otherwise:

index.php

Not just "linear" (flat response) but "extremely linear!" He has not shown a single measurement to show what the response is of the speaker or heck, for those monitors he claims to have flat response. It is all typical distorted marketing statements with no backing. I mean even that 95 dB sensitivity is highly suspect. My measurements show that to be very much exaggerated.

To be sure, audio is wild west and a lot of companies do this. But they don't go threatening people with lawsuits when they measure and show the claims to be false.
Since klippel measurements are in high resolution, could be that the frequency response is "extremely linear" with smoothing? (though that peak at 700 hz is probably going to show even with smoothing)

Last edited:

Ninjastar

The irony of Tekton supporters on his FB page who had previously railed against determining a speaker's excellence based only on measurements ("I actually listen") are now praising Eric for allegedly designing the "flattest speaker ever!"

That's funny.

doug s.

I don't like bringing up his personal issues as that is none of my business, but this further reflects a pattern of behavior where he is so averse to accepting personal responsibility or blame for anything negative or critical that comes his way.

It was posted here, but someone screenshot a comment under one of his YouTube videos where he blamed a recently fired employee for some issues the company was having and even says her first name and last initial.

What the hell, man? So unprofessional and petty.

Just say "Sorry. We are going to do better".

Is that so difficult?
"...Just say "Sorry. We are going to do better".

Is that so difficult?..."
- for people like eric? YES! obviously!

doug s.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The irony of Tekton supporters on his FB page who had previously railed against determining a speaker's excellence based only on measurements ("I actually listen") are now praising Eric for allegedly designing the "flattest speaker ever!"

That's funny.

This FB Tekton is way better, some beautiful spaces:

Last edited:

ampguy

Yeh, with some rare exceptions, he is making informericals just like Darko, Audiophiliac, Andrew, etc.
Is there a list somewhere of youtube channels/sites that take money for reviews? Even if just free product? I believe it should be disclosed. This thread implies the New Record Day youtube review took money from a vendor? https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/kzf38z

ta240

Major Contributor
.... This thread implies the New Record Day youtube review took money from a vendor? https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/kzf38z
It is my understanding from what I read at the time and find online now that Ron from New Record Day was paid to do a series of videos/reviews highlighting the new speaker for Tekton. When Eric saw the initial video he wasn't happy with the level of enthusiasm for the speaker. Then Ron did a separate video on comb filtering, which Eric saw as a comment on his tweeter design.
Eric wasn't happy that he had paid Ron money and not only got lack luster comments in the first 'review' but he also got a negative opinion piece on the design style. Both sides lashed out at each other.

Somehow Ron came away mostly unscathed from admitting that he was paid to do a 'review'. I guess Eric's response was so over the top that it diverted attention from Ron's actions.

It is bad enough getting free product to do reviews. I see plenty of videos where after raving about a past product they get sent more but literally getting paid to do videos and not stating up front that you are being paid is really wrong.

Last edited:

Bryguy

It is my understanding from what I read at the time and find online now that Ron from New Record Day was paid to do a series of reviews highlighting the new speaker for Tekton. When Eric saw the initial video he wasn't happy with the level of enthusiasm for the speaker. Then Ron did a separate video on comb filtering, which Eric saw as a comment on his tweeter design.
Eric wasn't happy that he had paid Ron money and not only got lack luster comments in the first 'review' but he also got a negative opinion piece on the design style. Both sides lashed out at each other.
Somehow Ron came away mostly unscathed from admitting that he was paid to do a 'review'. I guess Eric's response was so over the top that it diverted attention from Ron's actions.
If he was still honest about his findings at the end of the day, I don't see any problem with a paid review. Did he disclose that he was paid from the beginning? Or was that fact only divulged once Eric started making a fuss?

ampguy

It is my understanding from what I read at the time and find online now that Ron from New Record Day was paid to do a series of reviews highlighting the new speaker for Tekton. When Eric saw the initial video he wasn't happy with the level of enthusiasm for the speaker. Then Ron did a separate video on comb filtering, which Eric saw as a comment on his tweeter design.
I'm not familiar with New Record Day, do they now acknowledge they do paid reviews, or did they stop the practice?

ta240

Major Contributor
If he was still honest about his findings at the end of the day, I don't see any problem with a paid review. Did he disclose that he was paid from the beginning? Or was that fact only divulged once Eric started making a fuss?
From everything I saw it was only divulged after Eric made a fuss. At least if he had said it from the start the viewer could take that into consideration. The better reviewers will even say up front if they bought the item or if they have to send it back when they are done.

ta240

Major Contributor
I'm not familiar with New Record Day, do they now acknowledge they do paid reviews, or did they stop the practice?
I stopped watching him. Too much of a Darko or Robinson vibe; a real high end salesman. It is also really hard to get past someone not only taking payment but then later announcing it as a negative against the company and not himself. Plus, if I remember correctly he was/is a huge supporter of Danny Ritchie.

The only reviewer I'll regularly watch anymore are Erin, because he seems straight forward. I'll watch Zero Fidelity. And I'll even watch the audiopheliac because although he is clearly a salesman (and was once) he is the type of salesman that is just so excited about the subject and products. Rather than the type that enjoys the game and the act of selling.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a list somewhere of youtube channels/sites that take money for reviews? Even if just free product? I believe it should be disclosed. This thread implies the New Record Day youtube review took money from a vendor? https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/kzf38z
Pretty certain that this is commonplace despite people wanting to believe otherwise, it's not exclusive to Tekton or New Record Day. This is the internet age where where someone makes a video with nice visuals or uses fancy or flattering words people will lap it up and be completely sold on a product or brand or a point of view. I'd wager a large percentage of reviews for all products are actually fake and marketing. Companies have been caught many a time hosting fake reviews on their own websites, selling sites etc, it's rife, it's free market capitalism run away from itself. It's across all industries and mediums. Anyone who doubts such needs to stop and think how these influencer types end up rather well off and rather quickly, especially when it's their sole income as stated by for example Cheap Audio Man.

doug s.

I am quoting myself as a reminder that we will not permit personal insults to be hurled towards anyone. This is my second general reminder about this. Going forward Warnings will be issued and posts deleted without notice.

Please keep this conversation professional and respectful. ;)
adam, i do not want to go against site rules. (i was already castigated once, for using swear words, when i was not aware that it was unacceptable.)

but, how do you distinguish between insults, and facts that happen to be unflattering? i'm not trying to be difficult; seriously, i want to know. because, it seems to me that many (most?) of these insults are in actuality, simple truthful statements of fact.

thanks,

doug s.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
He stopped it post that incident with Eric. That was part of the video he post.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't think money is changing hands in exchange for reviews. Instead, there is symbiotic relationship. Reviewer gets loaned gear. Produces content. Gets views and ad money. Company gets nice marketing in exchange. So they informationals are created with "in kind" compensation.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it's free market capitalism run away from itself.
It's just a regular "free" (unregulated) market in action.

Paid reviews where you don't mention that it's paid / an ad are illegal in the US. It's just that they are not enforced against very vigorously.

Technically, you might not call it a "free" market because there are rules. In practice, the rules don't matter as much as they should.

Top Bottom