• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 283 59.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 175 36.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 15 3.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Erici, Sure. my official position is 'the FACTS are Amir didn't measure the loudspeaker correctly and placed the loudspeaker in a false light.' Furthermore, because Amir's review was unsolicited I am under no obligation to disclose his mistakes to him or anyone. I feel blindsided, I am his victim, and I feel a need to expose his mistakes. I believe Amir is capable of measuring a loudspeaker; it's his understanding of acoustical physics that I intend to expose and cast a light upon.

@Erici asked if you would "explain your position in more detail," and they asked this because in your prior posts they "didn't see any description how you think Amir should have measured your speaker."

In your response to Erici, you reply, "Sure," and then immediately proceed not to explain your position in more detail, and not to describe how you think @amirm should have measured your speaker. Moreover, you specifically say you "are under no obligation to disclose his mistakes to him or anyone" even though it's plain as day that Erici didn't say or imply you had any such obligation. Erici merely asked - very politely - if you would be willing to do so. And once again you said Yes ("Sure"), by which you actually meant No.

If you have a competent lawyer, they'll probably tell you that if you litigate this (which I hope you don't for both Amir's and your sake), you can't pull this language-mangling, Alice in Wonderland BS in a deposition unless you're comfortable ending up on the wrong end of a summary judgment soon after.

I really think any legal process is a dead end as far as the first amendment is concerned.

An opinion I believe can be provided under free speech as long as the opinion doesn't contravene facts. Saying "I don't like the sound of a speaker" or "the response is lumpy" is an opinion in fact supported by the facts if we determine for example, the frequency response is greater than +/- 3dB from nominal or directivity bunching or cancellation off axis).

I will await the counter measurements from Tekton to prove how existing measurements are flawed and why. I'm sure this would be the first thing a court would require.

You are of course correct - but remember, while it's very difficult to win a meritless lawsuit, it's very easy to file one and to try to use the financial, time, and psychological impacts of the legal process to extract concessions from a defendant before the suit ever gets to the point where you have to prove your claims. The law gets used as a threat tactic and bullying tactic a lot.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
while it's very difficult to win a meritless lawsuit, it's very easy to file one and to try to use the financial, time, and psychological impacts of the legal process to extract concessions from a defendant before the suit ever gets to the point where you have to prove your claims. The law gets used as a threat tactic and bullying tactic a lot.
This bears repeating. I don't think anyone (except maybe Mr. Alexander) thinks he'll win the suit. It's still well worth avoiding. The amount of time and money a bad-faith litigant can waste is huge.

I watched my landlord try to evict someone who refused to leave. They did everything they could do to drag the legal process out, they didn't even have a lawyer, just a potent supply of narcissistic entitlement. It still took over a year to get rid of him. He would do stuff like filing the same content-free motion twice, and the judge would just give him another chance to file it. Rinse and repeat.

IIRC the entire case hung on a typo in a foreclosure notice somewhere, basically arguing he hadn't been foreclosed upon, when he had. Ages ago.

Litigating against someone who doesn't know or care whether they're right SHOULD be easy, but it's not.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On the issue of claimed financial damages, I point this out to Eric in email a while back:
Tekton Design caters to the audiophile community and when two pairs of Mini Lore's were returned in 2023 we must be doing something right with the design.

Above was posted in February of this year whereas my review came out in October 2023. If only 2 pairs were returned for the balance of that year, clearly he was not damaged in any way as a result of my review.

Dave Bullet

On the issue of claimed financial damages, I point this out to Eric in email a while back:

Above was posted in February of this year whereas my review came out in October 2023. If only 2 pairs were returned for the balance of that year, clearly he was not damaged in any way as a result of my review.
We have to assume more than 2 pairs were bought :D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How heavy would the diaphragms be to adequately reproduce the sound of, say, a Caterpillar D11?

1712714037566.png

The Mother Of All Bulldozers? (MOAB)

Dave Bullet

c) Do nothing. Ignore reviewers.

Would have been the most time-efficient, labor-efficient and brand-preserving thing Eric could have done. But its not in the narcissist playbook.
Yes you're right.

If Eric has 44 years of experience in this game, I'm not sure if this is first time he's engaged with or threatened legal action over a review.

In any case, my experience is that if you receive bad press, the best way to limit the blast radius is not to bring attention to it yourself, but deal with it quietly.

PGansz

Forum Donor
I don't know how much of the situation/my responses to him he had shared with his attorney. But you are correct:

"My lawyers advice days back was to "be kind to you and teach you a few things". Based upon our email dialog (evidence) I'm of the opinion I'm unable to teach you anything because I clearly see that you believe you know it all already and Dr. Floyd Toole is only guy you'd ever listen to."

I told him to go ahead and teach me:

"I am happy to learn what you have to say Eric. You need to share the information before I can say what my reaction would be. As a minimum, and as I have promised, I will post your response so membership can beat me up if I am wrong. :) "

But he refused:

"Here's what I am discerning... you believe you are incapable of making a mistake and you take no responsibility for actions that have harmed others. Based upon your emailed responses to me I am of the opinion there's little I can teach you outside of a court of law; I think you have some important life lessons to learn; mainly, actions have consequences."
I had an ex like this.

At the end of the day there's nothing funny about personality disorders.

And to think, it was just a speaker review. Now the whole world knows this guy has serious issues; AND is representing his company in official capacity here AND openly lying about his behavior.

Amir, it's clear you're not the type of guy...but you clearly have a case here.

Eric has slandered and libeled his way straight to suit on his own in this open forum. It would be just for him to reap what he sowed.

Last edited:

Inertiaman

Forum Donor

Amir, I'm on your side, and think Eric is a tool, but I feel somewhat obligated to point out your logic here is flawed.

Hypothetically, the damage wouldn't be measured in speakers returned, but in speakers not sold which would have been sold had the evil reviewers not published their blasphemy. Maybe he would have sold 10,000 of them, but because of your review, only sold 1000.

I exaggerate the numbers of course, but I do think the premise is valid. Besides, "damage" is not a sufficient basis for any successful suit: the damage must be caused by willful misrepresentation / lies / etc, among many other qualifiers for a successful suit that would never ever apply here.

Dave Bullet

I can understand someone feeling "attacked" or defending their business or line of work. However, when they respond with "I've been doing this for X years" or "I've garnered X product awards" does nothing to prove the measurements themselves are flawed and why. It's a diversionary tactic when you can't address the point at hand.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been chuckling to myself a lot these past few days. First at how this has blown up in Eric Alexander’s face. But second at the idea that he thinks measuring the speaker without filling the holes he didn’t tell you to fill, and probably shouldn’t have in the first place, is anyone’s problem but his. It’s pretty funny. Kind of like violating “double secret probation”.

Last edited:

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
I’ve been chuckling to myself a lot these past few days. First at how this has blown up in Eric Alexander’s face. But second at the idea that he thinks measuring the speaker without filling the holes he didn’t tell you to fill, is anyone’s problem but his. It’s pretty funny. Kind of like violating “double secret probation”.
Went to the trouble to post the thread pitch for the footers in his FAQ, and where they are placed in packaging, but no mention whatsoever of their apparent "necessity" in use.

On top of that, Amir has noted that the bracket/mount arrangement he used to attach the speaker w/ the Klippel (speaker sat on a baseplate was my interpretation) would have effectively sealed the holes anyway.

No end to this man's capacity to project blame, incompetency, poor communications or any number of his bad behaviors onto others.

YesChickenNuggets

I’ve been chuckling to myself a lot these past few days. First at how this has blown up in Eric Alexander’s face. But second at the idea that he thinks measuring the speaker without filling the holes he didn’t tell you to fill, and probably shouldn’t have in the first place, is anyone’s problem but his. It’s pretty funny. Kind of like violating “double secret probation”.
I think it's pretty clear at this point Tekton is the same class of speakers as GR Research. Basically Con men who have gotten by because just about everyone out here's selling the same BS snake oil.

mlsstl

If Eric has 44 years of experience in this game....
One of my favorite stories about the usefulness of experience is that when I was young and new in my field of work we had a fellow named Arnold in our office who was very proud of his decades of experience in our industry. He never hesitated to tell you about it. Shortly after one of those encounters, a fellow worker in the office said to me, "Yeah, but for him its been the same year over, and over, and over...."

Sgt. Pepper

Write the guy back and tell him to file a suit. He isn't going to start paying a lawyer to chase something this ridiculous. Nothing is going to happen. Don't hire a lawyer.

Boilers

View attachment 362556

The Mother Of All Bulldozers? (MOAB)
Careful. Don’t want a lawsuit against caterpillar next. I spent a lot of time with D11’s… so this one finally got me out of years of forum lurking :)

To be on topic. I bought some Sierra LX‘s when I found this forum I appreciated the willingness to take one on the chin and use that as motivation to develop something greater. I’d been asking around for tekton measurements for a good while now. The recent reviews combined with the owners reactions maybe makes sense to why none existed prior.

doug s.

Amir, I'm on your side, and think Eric is a tool, but I feel somewhat obligated to point out your logic here is flawed.

Hypothetically, the damage wouldn't be measured in speakers returned, but in speakers not sold which would have been sold had the evil reviewers not published their blasphemy. Maybe he would have sold 10,000 of them, but because of your review, only sold 1000.

I exaggerate the numbers of course, but I do think the premise is valid. Besides, "damage" is not a sufficient basis for any successful suit: the damage must be caused by willful misrepresentation / lies / etc, among many other qualifiers for a successful suit that would never ever apply here.
here's the thing, which i mentioned earlier. his hissy fit, removing the speakers from his website, shoots himself in the foot, if trying to argue loss of sales. remove a product from your website, no longer offered for sale? of course you're going to lose sales.

doug s.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hypothetically, the damage wouldn't be measured in speakers returned, but in speakers not sold which would have been sold had the evil reviewers not published their blasphemy.
He could have said that but he didn't. Instead, he was bragging that he knew his customers and they could care less about my review. As otherwise, more of them would return the speakers.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I’m sorry, but that’s just faulty logic. It could also be that his sales figures dropped by 40% after the review. Both can be true at the same time.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I’m sorry, but that’s just faulty logic. It could also be that his sales figures dropped by 40% after the review. Both can be true at the same time.
No it is not. I explained above. This is larger context of what he said:

Second, to assume I cannot design and market a 'flat responding' loudspeaker is woefully shortsighted. If I wanted to produce a linear loudspeaker (as the reviewer has turned my design into) I would have done that; my simulator does this task in under 3 seconds. The facts are most audiophiles don't go for the frequency response and corrections the reviewer has suggested. The only linear loudspeaker models we offer are intended for professional studio engineering and they are tools for a toolbox. Changing crossover parts values to flatten the frequency response is a super simple task; my job is to get the speaker sounding right for an audiophile. The problem is most audiophiles don't go for 'scientific sound'; to my ears, it's analytical, sterile, forward in the midrange when turned up, and frankly not much excitement to be discerned. Shipping the Mini Lore with a MiniDSP and a preloaded file converting the Mini Lore into a scientific masterpiece is no more difficult than changing a few values on the crossover.

Anyone wanting an improved version of the Mini Lore pair as the scientific reviewer has suggested my model be changed into is free to call me and I will accommodate your request.

Tekton Design caters to the audiophile community and when two pairs of Mini Lore's were returned in 2023 we must be doing something right with the design.

Notice what I bolded. What he calls "facts" clearly back his conviction that the criteria for my review is wrong. That he knows his customers. And they don't want what I recommend. He then finishes by stating that stat as proof point that his customers don't care about my review and assessment.

Top Bottom