• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Truthear x Crinacle Zero:RED IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 41 10.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 326 84.2%

• Total voters

Batenxx

Either are incompatible without modification or using some wonky adapter. I have TRN BT20XS, with 0.78 connectors, that's okay for a similar price.
So the KZ AZ09 has 0.75 connectors, even the B-type? I wouldn't mind cutting away that plastic part, but of course if the pins are narrower it makes no sense.

mc.god

Due to a 15% off offer on some shenzen audio store products at amazon.it I finally ended up ordering Zero:RED
Already sure I'll like them a lot, probably on par with my Sonus, only concern is fitting, hope it'll be ok.
Arrived today. Very quick first impression: very very good.
First feeling a bit strange for the long protruding nozzle, diameter is not a problem since i have slightly large ear canals (have to use always large tips around 13 mm with all iems). First attempt with stock larger tips, narrow bore, after few instants of that strange sensation they feel pretty comfy and seal seems perfect. Cable a bit thin but not microphonic and with nice straight and long connectors+hooks that permit to rotate them to the optimal angle for my canals.

Soundwise I can't add anything to all that has been already said in 57 pages, the first thing that came to my mind after very few minutes listening was "everything is at it's exact right place".
Maybe Sonus are a bit more "fun" and even clearer, due to their slight recession in the 300-700 range and lower 3k gain that makes the sub bass boost and treble extension more evident, RED are reeeeeally balanced just as expected.
Citing Amir, arsenal completed.

Batenxx

So I've noticed a strange behavior with my Zero Reds. Recently I've purchased a 5m AUX cable and noticed that the IEM has quite noticeably less bass when attached to the cable than when I plug it directly into my 3.5mm headphone jack on my laptop (the volume is the same). What is the reason for this? Could this be due to the bass boost the Truthears receive when used on a source with high output impedance? So dues the AUX cable reduce the output impedance of my laptop's headphone jack? Or what could be the reason?

This was a topic brought up over in the Zero:2 thread, so I thought this might be relevant. So the question is: what can I do? I thought about buying the FiiO BTR3K instead of using an AUX cable, but if that has lower output impedance as well, this would take away the bass boost I receive from my laptop. At least if high output impedance is the cause here.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I've noticed a strange behavior with my Zero Reds. Recently I've purchased a 5m AUX cable and noticed that the IEM has quite noticeably less bass when attached to the cable than when I plug it directly into my 3.5mm headphone jack on my laptop (the volume is the same). What is the reason for this? Could this be due to the bass boost the Truthears receive when used on a source with high output impedance? So dues the AUX cable reduce the output impedance of my laptop's headphone jack? Or what could be the reason?

This was a topic brought up over in the Zero:2 thread, so I thought this might be relevant. So the question is: what can I do? I thought about buying the FiiO BTR3K instead of using an AUX cable, but if that has lower output impedance as well, this would take away the bass boost I receive from my laptop. At least if high output impedance is the cause here.
The BTR3K has <1Ω output impedance, according to ClieOS over on Head-Fi.

If that removes the bass boost that you've come to like from your Truthear Red, then you can simply add it back in using the impedance adapter included with the Red.

paulg1

Got my pair a couple of days ago. My first IEMs, besides the cheap ones given out when I used to fly. No comparison at all, these amaze me.

The sound field is a bit bizarre, closer sounds seem in the middle of my head, while more distant sounds image behind me a bit rather than in front of me. They reveal a lot about the recording technique. I found I prefer the tonality overall with the adapter, the bass sounds correct to me with it. No EQ is necessary beyond that.
ncredible clarity and detail. The spatial qualities are good, but with music that aspect doesn't jump out at you. But when it's intentionally in the mix, it's mind-blowing. I watched the movie Top Gun: Maverick last night, and the sonics in the bar scene totally blew me away. I wound up turning my head more than once, because I was sure the peripheral sounds were right in the room! Freaky.

I wonder how close they are to something like the better Dan Clark Headphones. At 40-80X the price, I guess I will have to keep on wondering.

markanini

Major Contributor
I like boosting the treble a few dB on mine, it let's through a little more texture and spatial content. I sometimes wonder if listening to it EQ'd like this would make more people forget about newer hype trains like Zero 2, because the treble is slightly subdued and EQ addresses it so well IMO. That's how it remained my benchmark after trying new IEMs every 1-2 months since the Red came out.

Attachments

• 1711019040516.png
    1711019040516.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 1711019703825.png
    1711019703825.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I like boosting the treble a few dB on mine, it let's through a little more texture and spatial content. I sometimes wonder if listening to it EQ'd like this would make more people forget about newer hype trains like Zero 2, because the treble is slightly subdued and EQ addresses it so well IMO. That's how it remained my benchmark after trying new IEMs every 1-2 months since the Red came out.
What's that treble high shelf , 2db @3khz ?

muza_1

May I ask, where did you get Oratory1990 measurements file? I have some of the headphones/IEMs he has measured but I end up modifying his prestes it would be much easier just to load the files and make my own EQ, thanks.

paulg1

It's really the ultra-low distortion (and the right price) that initially attracted me to these, besides the fact that they closely follow the target that Amir used in the review. For the record, I'm using a long (25 ft.) single-ended connection to an SMSL DO200. (The DAC is remote in order to have short connection to my speakers). I definitely prefer the inline adapter. I've got plenty of gain even at the low gain setting on that DAC. I cannot imagine IEMs getting much better than these are, after all, you can EQ any of these to your hearts content, but there is no way to reduce distortion in IEMs that have high amounts of distortion. The Zero Reds have virtually no distortion at all.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My pair just arrived via Amazon, after ordering yesterday afternoon, so in about 18 hours. $46.74 or - 15%, plus local tax rates.

I just wired them up and popped them in my ears and plugged into my iFi micro IDSD Black Label and they sound quite good off of YouTube, which is less than RedBook. Test track: The Weight. Playing for Change (which if you have never watched and listened to, shame on you!)

To my ears (of course Amir provided measurements, which are great): Plenty of bass, clear highs, very sharply defined guitar and cymbals on complex music, quiet background, channel matching seems superb. As we would call it: transparent, non-colored or distorted music).

Pretty comfortable for their size and a multitude of different sized, soft and well-made ear ear tips to choose from. Good length cable. Not that I care, but packaging is impressive.

Huge thumbs up. Happy as clam with this purchase. A steal for the money! Modern day hi-fi is an endless smorgasbord of bargain components.

I would know nothing about the existence of this product, let alone its performance, if not for ASR.:)

Batenxx

The BTR3K has <1Ω output impedance, according to ClieOS over on Head-Fi.

If that removes the bass boost that you've come to like from your Truthear Red, then you can simply add it back in using the impedance adapter included with the Red.
So my BTR3K arrived and much to my surprise the impedance on my laptop's 3.5mm jack seems to be even higher than with the Zero Red's impedance adapter. In other words: even with the impedance adapter on the BTRR3K the bass isn't nearly as strong as on my laptop's 3.5mm jack. Same for my old Windows phone btw. which seems to also have far higher impedance, resulting in equally strong bass as on my laptop.

Quite honestly I'm torn. I actually prefer the warm sound (Death, Thrash and also Black Metal, which I predominantly listen to (aside from anime stuff - lol), seem to really profit from it, but I wonder at what cost. I wouldn't want to have the sound unnaturally altered too much. I can't decide. On a side note: can using the Zero Red's on such high impedance damage them?

Edit: it seems that the bass also got stronger after I've used the Zero Reds over the last few days. Is it this burn in effect or just placebo?

markanini

Major Contributor
So my BTR3K arrived and much to my surprise the impedance on my laptop's 3.5mm jack seems to be even higher than with the Zero Red's impedance adapter. In other words: even with the impedance adapter on the BTRR3K the bass isn't nearly as strong as on my laptop's 3.5mm jack. Same for my old Windows phone btw. which seems to also have far higher impedance, resulting in equally strong bass as on my laptop.

Quite honestly I'm torn. I actually prefer the warm sound (Death, Thrash and also Black Metal, which I predominantly listen to (aside from anime stuff - lol), seem to really profit from it, but I wonder at what cost. I wouldn't want to have the sound unnaturally altered too much. I can't decide. On a side note: can using the Zero Red's on such high impedance damage them?

Edit: it seems that the bass also got stronger after I've used the Zero Reds over the last few days. Is it this burn in effect or just placebo?
Have you compared the narrow and wide bore tips, just another option to try, the difference between them doesn't change the bass amount, but bass feel IMO.

staticV3

Master Contributor
In other words: even with the impedance adapter on the BTRR3K the bass isn't nearly as strong as on my laptop's 3.5mm jack.
You can get impedance adapter with even higher impedance on eBay, AliExpress, etc.
On a side note: can using the Zero Red's on such high impedance damage them?
No.
it seems that the bass also got stronger after I've used the Zero Reds over the last few days. Is it this burn in effect or just placebo?
Just placebo.

Top Bottom